Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2016, 19:38   #1

FP Marquises-56-Customizations, Impact Sailing?

Hi Group,

Interested in opinions on this vessels modification.

1994 Fountaine Pajot 56 Custom Catamaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It would appear that there has been some significant modifications. Any opinions on how much this will have impacted the sailing abilities of this model.

It appears we have extensive use of marble, mahogany, new hardtop, etc. Going thru the interior it just looks "heavy". I like the vessel, but am concerned how these mods will impact it's abilities as an around the world cruiser. It fits a number of my preferred specs, but I'm a bit apprehensive about the mods.....

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Scott
Elimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:43   #2

Re: FP Marquises-56-Customizations, Impact Sailing?

Just opinion - for that kind of money you can find MUCH newer (2005-2009) boat of same size with much better overall layout, even though it probably will have less upgrades. And one more remark: for me - all these "African mahogany" cabinetry, real teak floors etc - just stupid things which won't hold against modern materials (simulated teak floors, for example).
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

For sure lots of money have been spent on this boat, but 1.400.000 $ cannot be ral, that's 3 times the requested price.
I didn't like the elevated roof of the cokpit, not only it's ugly but can cause serious trouble in high winds.

Marquises are surprisingly light and have a very good payload, I know this as we hauled Palarran, another Marquises. She was sailing very well even on light air albeit she was quite heavily loaded.

Talking about the upgrades, it all depends how much of them make sense to you to yr taste. For me, half a million USD for a 23 years old boat is too much. Meanwhile, 75 HP engines for this boat are way too small.
I would offer M 450 if the mast/rigging is Ok and sails are in decent shape.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:21   #4

Its their boat and their money so I hope they enjoyed it, but not my g&t.
I'm more baked beans on a metho stove.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:36   #5

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I guess it depends on your taste. It's not our thing, but I can see where it would be really nice some kinds of cruising and areas. Nothing in the modifications raises any alarms in my mind given that it's more of a luxury cruiser than an expedition boat.

The broker is trying hard to promote the virtues of the boat and the amount invested, but it's still an asking price for an older boat. If it meets your requirements and it's in decent condition, make an offer, even a low offer. You'll be spending more on updates/refit.

Cheers
Old 04-11-2016, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
You'll be spending more on updates/refit.

Cheers
That's my thought too
Old 04-11-2016, 09:27   #7

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

I'm not in that league but first think I noticed besides the monster bimini is the muzzle loader berths. For that size and money I'd want an island berth or atleast partial side open. Heck, they have em on mid fourties Lagoons. Non starter or refit if it were me. You have a nice budget to work from, have fun.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:20   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Sugar scoops have anti-fouling on them. Is that normal for this size FP or an indication of weight?
Old 10-11-2016, 12:34   #9
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I own a 2001 Marquises. Southern Passage has been on the market for many years now. If I remember right the first asking price was around $1m and it's been working it's way down.

I do like a lot of the modifications on the boat. The granite you are looking at is probably a veneer, not solid. The dingy platform and lift are nice, but not exactly how I would have done it. But the real problem with this refit is that they changed the main traveler to the top of the bimini. If you look at the photo, it only has about 6" of clearance. It will be nearly impossible to properly trim the main, especially when broad reaching or running under double or triple reef. And, unless there is some kind of incredible reinforcement in that bimini, if you ever accidently jibe in high winds you can kiss all that beautiful stuff good bye. The boom is very long and it's going to snap something. As far as how heavy she is, I would guess near the same as Palarran depending on how much diesel they have on board. My stern is maybe 1" higher than Southern Passages, but my bow's are definitely higher, by about 3 or 4 inches. Note that as Yeloya said, Palarran is heavy now, by about 1500 to 2000 lbs.

With an asking price of $500k, it's not out of the realm of making an offer. IMO the boat is worth $425k, maybe $450k.
Old 10-11-2016, 14:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
With an asking price of $500k, it's not out of the realm of making an offer. IMO the boat is worth $425k, maybe $450k.
Strange estimate IMHO.
Here's 2006 (two thousand and six!) Lagoon 570 for $363K, still can be negotiated.
2006 Lagoon 570 / VAT PAID/ Private, Dalmatia Croatia - boats.com

If someone is crazy about this particular model, here's couple for 249K and 294K, remember, these numbers still can be negotiated down according to survey results. And then they can be refit EXACTLY as new owner wants.

1992 Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56, Saint Martin - boats.com

1998 Fountaine Pajot Marquise 56, Seychelles - boats.com
Old 11-11-2016, 14:42   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

The two older Marquises you have linked to have also been on the market a long time. The one in the Seychelles was on the market when I bought Palarran almost 7 years ago. I know through talking to people it is in rough shape and from personal experience it would cost at least $200k to bring the boat up to the condition of Southern Passage. The St. Martin one is 53' not 56' and the first edition before they reconfigured the looks of the boat. It's in horrible shape.

The Lagoon 570 is a great deal. Your right that it is way better than Southern Passage. Maybe there is a reason it's listed so cheap but if it's in the condition the photo's show - what a steal. I always liked those boats and typically they are priced about $100k more than a comparable Marquises, which was why I didn't buy one.
Old 11-11-2016, 16:10   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

She's a fairly good looking boat, though some things about her need changing. And due to her setup, & styling, you'll be doing lot of maintenance & upkeep on her. Things like seals on the deck hatches, for example. And all of that varnished wood.

I'm not wild about the bimini, & would style her differently. Including making her more feel more light & airy. And do you have a plan as to how she'll look 6 months, or 2 years from now? That would help a lot, while owning her.

Also, there a lot of things about her which yyou could incorporate into your bargaining about her price, assuming she that passes all of the other prepurchase tests well

And I'm hoping that you have a project manage/skipper for most of this work(?). Which, it would be wise to include him in the negotiations & vessel purchasing discussions. With you, especially when buying her, & when you're doing all of the testing on her prior to signing any checks. As he (should) know which yard(s) have the best facilities for working on large catamarans. Including knowing how best to outfit her, where to get discounts on her gear, & consumbles, etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 23:36   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
The Lagoon 570 is a great deal.
Lagoon 570 seems indeed like a great deal. Unfortunately galley down is deal breaker for me. On the other hand judging on what was posted on the internet can be very misleading.. In May this year, I travelled to France for a Catana 58 which had very attractive price and the pics posted on the internet were just too good to be true. Then I realised that the pics were 5 years old, the engines were consuming more oil than gasoil, the sails were gone, genset in barely working condition, electronics were messed up, not to mention the gelcoat damages and the work to be done on furnitures..Easily 150.000 € to be spent before talking about rigging and some other items that I couldn't properly check.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing