Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 03:50   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran
Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Hi Everyone. I have been following CF for quite a while now and no one has started a thread or posts any questions or information about the Saba 50. Just to let folks know that we own one called "Lady Roslyn". If anyone is interested in finding out more about this type of catamaran please feel free to look at our new website Saba 50 Catamaran Fountaine Pajot "Lady Roslyn" or follow us on Facebook under the name Catamaran LadyRoslyn. We are sharing information about our journey - this amazing boat, what changes we make, what lessons we learn and what places are of interest along the way.
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Welcome to CF Nic and Catherine !!!

Spectacular job on your blog.... Thanks for sharing!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:24   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Lady Roslyn,

Congratulations on your FP Saba 50. They are a Sweet ride for sure.

We have a 2016 FP Helia 44 Evo. Love these boats. Lots of family fun.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:49   #4

Thanks HappyMdRSailor & Cotemar. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-10-2016, 10:26   #5

Boat: Dreaming

Lady Roslyn- I checked out your site and it is beautifully designed. I was slightly disappointed when I clicked on ABOVE and you had no Drone footage as I have been flying since 2013 and love it. I have had a DJI Phantom 2 and currently have the Phantom 3 Professional that I love. I'm always amazed at what this little machine/computer can do. I write today to recommend DJI and possibly the new Mavic Pro that just came out. To me it seems like the perfect compact Drone for a sailboat! Best of luck with your cruising! I would be happy to take that boat off your hands when the time comes
3DSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 14:03   #6

Thanks for the message 3DSailor. We only bought "Lady Roslyn" at the end of 2015 and have spent this year getting to know the boat. I only designed the website recently with the idea of Above & Below. I ordered and paid for the Phantom 4 one day before the launch of the Mavic Pro. It will be arriving in Cape Town this week and I am thinking of immediately selling it to buy the Mavic. Either way I hope to be posting lessons learned and footage from Above before too long. The area just behind the trampoline on the Saba 50 seems like an ideal landing area and I will post how we launch and land from "Lady Roslyn" when next on-board.
Old 08-10-2016, 14:26   #7

The "Wingaker" sail looks interesting. (article here) Saba 50 Catamaran Fountaine Pajot "Lady Roslyn"

Anyone else have any experience with one?
sheldon957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:09   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia Ev

Look forward to following you're adventures.

We have a Helia 44, IKHAYA and have sailed her from La Rochelle to Greece this year.
julianvezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:16   #9

Boat: Dreaming

With regards to takeoff and landing, I often fly my Drone from boats. What I have found is that the hand catching and releasing method is the most effective. The boat is always moving which makes a deck landing difficult. I just hover the Drone a foot or so above my head and grab it and then kill the engine. The opposite for take off...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
3DSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:32   #10

Hi sheldon957.If you go to YouTube and type Wingaker you will see a big selection of videos posted by people who have bought the sail and also by Lothar Weber who owns the company. You will see the massive range of wind speed from 2.9knots all the way to a video passing through the Straights of Gibraltar with a wind speed of 30knots (not wind I would fancy without plenty of practice but shows what the sail is capable of). I have absolutely no financial interest or gain with WINGAKER, but I am sure that if you told the guys there that you were interested in one and had read about it here you could twist their arms for a killer deal with a discount. That goes for anyone reading this thread.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46   #11

Hey 3dsailor. Thanks for the drone tips. I have been in contact with a Helia 44 couple on "Out Chasing Stars" currently in the Pacific and they recommend exactly what you do when taking off or landing. Good to get multiple tips on the same subject so I don't wipe the Phantom 4 out into the deck!
Old 09-10-2016, 18:51   #12

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Roslyn View Post
Hi Everyone. I have been following CF for quite a while now and no one has started a thread or posts any questions or information about the Saba 50. Just to let folks know that we own one called "Lady Roslyn". If anyone is interested in finding out more about this type of catamaran please feel free to look at our new website Saba 50 Catamaran Fountaine Pajot "Lady Roslyn" or follow us on Facebook under the name Catamaran LadyRoslyn. We are sharing information about our journey - this amazing boat, what changes we make, what lessons we learn and what places are of interest along the way.

Here is a link to hull #2, Cuvée a Saba I've been fortunate to skipper on a few charters. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-e-141373.html

There is a lot of very detailed information in the linked thread written by the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:50   #13

Hi Rubikoop. Thanks for posting the links to Cuvee. The details posted were invaluable to us and we still have them printed out. However Baard of Cuvee has not posted since May of 2015. Please could you add to this forum any improvements that you know have been made or any issues you or Baard have experienced with Cuvee so I can build our knowledge base.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:31   #14

Boat: Saba 50

Hi guys

yes we have bought a new Saba 50 effectively the last of the production run before the factory shut down for August. The boat is still La Rochelle dealing with a few snags and an annoying engine lag problem so we have decided to keep her there until all is resolved (and the rest of this year until spring at least).

The boats is fabulous and we have the new livery which works well. we also had a very good agent form the UK which did mean we were able to pick and choose some of the extra options like different canopies etc. we went for the Owners version and picked most FP options. On the whole most of the FP options are very good.

We are amazed that we can run everything apart from water heating, aircon and the washing machine on solar . the aircon is excellent and you can run each unit separately as a heater and dehumidifier drawing only about 5 amps. I even wonder whether I would not go for their generator option which is not particularly well fitted and is only of use really as a back up or air con at anchor. you can only put on when there is no shore power attached which is clumsy!

we will hopefully be heading off about June next year and yes I met the guy with the para sail agency and it looks ideal.

some of the extras you might consider we did our selves -
  1. fitted platforms in the engine bays that you can stand on without sliding down the side of the hull and lifts you up a few inches
  2. kited out the area on the starboard side before the single berth as a work area/storage and wet weather hanging stuff
  3. added several new 240 plugs so we could run leads outside and in the storage area.
we had FP fit another 10 240 outlets which were useful including on the side of the island and also on the shelving in the lounge - they did a very good job.
we put in our own microwave with a convector oven inside the cupboard. much better than the FP offering - put it onto little rubber cups and its behind the top door in the kitchen

we also have had a canoe boom fitted from another boast which does enhance the look - can just about get to the sail covers - bit of a challenge though.

would really like to build up ports and anchorages in the med and also how you have tackled the maintenance, anode changing. hauling out and the like. also how's the antifouling holding out.

any more let me know

look forward to following your blog

Jani Deux (on British registry)
jjrquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:27   #15

Hi Jani. Thanks for posting such a detailed report of the set-up on your new Saba. Sounds great and I am sure you are really excited to finally take delivery.

1. We have an extra 3 flexible solar panels fitted in addition to the factory glass ones. Even though this gives great battery life I would certainly recommend adding a generator. Yes it is a bit noisy in the starboard aft cabin when running but I can assure you from experience that when it is 36 degrees in Greece or Croatia or Turkey and it is night, your crew/guests will beg you to run the aircon.
2. Please contact Lothar Weber of Wingaker directly if you are interested in a Wingaker. It is similar to the Parasailor brand but as I understand it the Wingaker is an improvement on the Parasailor design and his pricing is unbeatable. We can't wait to get ours.
3. Our starboard forepeak was already fitted out as a cabin with heads and shower so we are unable to kit that area out as a workroom which we had intended to do. However we have bought some fantastic storage containers, which contain all our spares, we bought them from Ikea and they are stacked and labelled and stored in that area and it works very well.
4. Please could you explain more about your canoe boom or send a picture. I am not sure exactly what you mean.
5. Please feel free to follow us on Facebook Catamaran LadyRoslyn or www.ladyroslyn.com where we will be sharing ports and anchorages in the Mediterranean. We have just returned from 12 days in Venice and the Venetian lagoon. I have written and submitted an article to multihulls-world magazine which tells all about this trip for others to follow and which we hope will be published.
6. We store Lady Roslyn in the water at a marina in Northern Italy. Sails are off and the boat is prepared for winter. In the spring we will haul her out for antifouling and zinc change at Marina Hannibal in Monfalcone. They have a lift big enough to lift Lady Roslyn from the water. The antifouling on Lady Roslyn is Jotun Supreme which is a hard self polishing antifouling. It has been on for over a year now and aside from some barnacles has been very good. I hand cleaned one hull in June in Croatia and then compared it to the other hull last week after 3 months and was very happy with the result. We also just tested a KeelCrab underwater hull cleaning drone two weeks ago. I will shortly post a blog entry about this.

Looking forward to more information from you so others can get real information about this great boat. We love the spaciousness and great design of the Saba 50 as well as its solid sailing performance and real easy of handling with only 2 on board.

Tags
fountaine pajot, Saba