Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 10:42   #1
cruiser

Boat: St Francis 50 on order
Found the perfect Cat!!

I could not believe the amazing spec of this bay - for a start it has easliy the vest bridge deck clearance of any cat I know about - ok it may stretch a crew of 2 a bit but it has to be worth it!!

All opinions welcome
Multihull Review Brokerage
Gludy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:53   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
The link only gives a search mode. Good luck in getting closer in finding what you seek. It's not easy choosing a boat, that's for sure. I am EXTREMELY curious as to what boat you are trying to show.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
The link only gives a search mode. Good luck in getting closer in finding what you seek. It's not easy choosing a boat, that's for sure. I am EXTREMELY curious as to what boat you are trying to show.
When you click on the link, just then click on search, I think Gludy means the first one on the list at the top, see what you mean about bridge deck clearance!!!
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18   #4

She may not be perfect and her bridge deck clearance leaves something to be desired; but this is definitely the most comfortable cat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	4263  
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Serious bridgedeck clearance:

Even more:

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:58   #6
Eternal Member

Thr Privlege 585? Heck, there's room for ballroom dancing
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55   #7
cruiser

Pribelege 585- lots of luxury but slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Thr Privlege 585? Heck, there's room for ballroom dancing
See: http://www.multihull-maven.com/Boats/Privilege_585

Add 5,000# to the lightship weight, and you get a D/L of 117, using

D / L Ratio

Not light for a catamaran. Using the berths to give scale, I'd guess the hull beam at the DWL to be a tad over 6', giving a L/B of 9 or so, which isn't bad for the kind of boat that it is.

Compare this to a fully loaded BigCat 65, with a D/L of 78, and a L/B of 12.

To understand the implications of hull beam at the waterline, read:

Southwinds - January 1999

Though they weigh about the same, the BigCat 65 has more 10+% sail area that is self tacking than the Privelege 585 has with its main and gennoa, and its sails can be let right out for running. I am skeptical of the 585's polars, which tell us that the 585 will do 10 to 14 knots in 15 knots of wind.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 13:06   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I will take the 12 knot condo over the 15 knot bare bones racer any day. I'm willing to pay three knots for some icy cold margaritas...what sane sailor wouldn't?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 13:16   #9
cruiser

Sorry = yes it was first in the list as here
Search

All 237 foot of it!!
Old 10-07-2008, 13:18   #10
Eternal Member

Big Cat,

You have to remember everybody who buys an Enzo Ferrari isn't going to drive it with balls to the walls. Sailboats too, so for some maximum speed is not so critical. For some the lighting, and luxury is much more important, and they will be happy doing 9 knots.

I am on another site for AC Cobras as in Shelby 1962-1965. Some guys build trailer queens that never see the asphalt. They get trailered from show to show, and from shop to shop. Other's drive them flat out on track, and get them worn out. While others wash, and wax for the Sunday morning cruise on a country road. Everybody goes through life different, and has different wants. What's perfect for one person may not be wanted at all for others!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSX2310.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	4265  
Old 10-07-2008, 13:52   #11
cruiser

I have nothing against condomarans-

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I will take the 12 knot condo over the 15 knot bare bones racer any day. I'm willing to pay three knots for some icy cold margaritas...what sane sailor wouldn't?
I don't object to people preferring one boat over another, for whatever reason. I sailed across the Pacific in perfect contentment at at average speed of 4.5 knots, so I'm not one of your snobbish speed demons. The thread's originator expressed an interest in go-fast boats, and is backing away from the very ambitious goal of averaging 240 NM a day, and I was responding to that.

BigCat 65 isn't stripped out, though. It can have the same amenities as the 585, but I won't be adding any wood, so it won't be as pretty. I won't be putting a clothes washer or drier on board, but you could do so with no problem. As far as I am concerned, the perfect boat is one you can clean on the inside as well as on the outside with a hose. At 1/5 the price, I can hire quite a bit of laundry service if I want to--not that there is much laundry to be done by someone sailing in the tropics. A pair of underpants and a singlet a day fits into a bucket pretty well.

I'm pretty lazy, and my personal idea of luxury aboard is a boat with a self-tacking rig that sails fast, requires no cranking of jibs or gennys, and no setting or taking down of spinnakers.
Old 10-07-2008, 15:16   #12
cruiser

You are right - I am backing away from the 340 Nm per day - that is because I am learning and refining my wishes.

The cat i get will have to spend a fair time in UK and Northern European waters and it has to act as our home for long periods. There is no washing of clothes in buckets and hanging them out to dry n that climate

There is no right and wrong as you say - we will spend over 90 per cent of the time at anchor not sailing and the livability of the boat is important to us.

One of the reasons we want a largish cat is so we can have the luxuries on board without it effecting performance too much. We do not belong to the culy of having to be wet and cold in order to enjoy ourselves although I have to say we have not always succeeded in staying dry and warm
Old 10-07-2008, 16:08   #13
cruiser

Sailing in cold climes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
You are right - I am backing away from the 340 Nm per day - that is because I am learning and refining my wishes.

The cat i get will have to spend a fair time in UK and Northern European waters and it has to act as our home for long periods. There is no washing of clothes in buckets and hanging them out to dry n that climate

There is no right and wrong as you say - we will spend over 90 per cent of the time at anchor not sailing and the livability of the boat is important to us.

One of the reasons we want a largish cat is so we can have the luxuries on board without it effecting performance too much. We do not belong to the culy of having to be wet and cold in order to enjoy ourselves although I have to say we have not always succeeded in staying dry and warm
The boat I sailed across the Pacific in, Batwing, had a pilot house with an inside steering station. The dinette was in the pilot house, and it was raised to have good visibility. I started with a typical monohull sloop, an Erickson 35 named 'Artful Dodger.' ( See: BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Ericson 35 ) which I sailed from LA to Hawaii to Seattle to LA in 1971, and it didn't take me long to realize just how much I didn't like the boat conventional wisdom said was just the thing.

I have drawn a BigCat 65 version with an inside steering station for high latitude sailing, because as far as I am concerned, any boat meant to be sailed outside the tropics should have one if it is large enough to have one, autopilot or no. With hydraulics, it is not difficult nor very expensive to add a second steering station.

Another poster has remarked how much he likes the Freydis 46. See: Cats 15m . I did the math, and it should perform as well as a little sister to the BigCat 65, as its weight and hull beam are similar in proportion to its length, and it has even more sail area proportionally.
Old 10-07-2008, 16:16   #14
cruiser

On all the boats I have specified I have had a wired remote engine/thruster control with many plug in points around the boat. Any cat i buy will therefore have the engines capable of being controlled from multiple points including in the forward position of the saloon.

Also you can have an additional helm inside the forward position of the saloon.

I suppose that is near to what you write about but its not raised.

In practice, even in bad weather, because being outside gives me a feeling of greater control, 90 per cent of my helming has been done from the power boats flybridge - even in 18 foot seas.

I do not know of any cats with what I think you mean as a pilot house.
Old 10-07-2008, 16:44   #15
cruiser

Inside steering and watchkeeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gludy View Post
On all the boats I have specified I have had a wired remote engine/thruster control with many plug in points around the boat. Any cat i buy will therefore have the engines capable of being controlled from multiple points including in the forward position of the saloon.

Also you can have an additional helm inside the forward position of the saloon.

I suppose that is near to what you write about but its not raised.

In practice, even in bad weather, because being outside gives me a feeling of greater control, 90 per cent of my helming has been done from the power boats flybridge - even in 18 foot seas.

I do not know of any cats with what I think you mean as a pilot house.
Chris White designs, and the Gunboats have what I mean by pilot houses. That is, they have inside seating that can see the view, and inside helm stations. Most catamarans have a view from their dinettes. A lot don't have a view forward, though, because the designer didn't raise the dinette. Typically, you need to raise the dinette by one foot from the cabin sole, and give it a one foot elevated cabin sole, to give good visibility from a dinette. But, since you prefer to steer outdoors, that may not matter to you.

See: Chris White Designs
Multihull Catamaran Sailing Yachts, Luxury Catamarans - Gunboat