Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 21:50   #91

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Following Seas and Cockpit Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I don't think it's safe to assume most cat's are light displacement these days. Some are remarkably, almost incredibly, heavy.
true. lagoon is 1 of these. Boat can be pushed to 10 kn , any more you need to surf.

However, my wife does not like speeds above 8 kn for any length of time as it is too noisy and annoying for her.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50   #92

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
true. lagoon is 1 of these. Boat can be pushed to 10 kn , any more you need to surf.

However, my wife does not like speeds above 8 kn for any length of time as it is too noisy and annoying for her.
Lagoon 400 is not a heavy boat, it has a D/L Ratio of 169 which is considered light displacement.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Lagoon 400 is not a heavy boat, it has a D/L Ratio of 169 which is considered light displacement.

It displaces over 13t, way heavy. It also has a LWL/BH of less than 7, that's how it handles the weight at a cost to performance.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It displaces over 13t, way heavy. It also has a LWL/BH of less than 7, that's how it handles the weight at a cost to performance.

Oh, I looked it up and was listed at only 10 tons...boat designers use long tons of 2240...and a DL of 170 or so is actually light displacement. Weight vs waterline length...
Old 02-03-2016, 10:36   #95
smj

Quote:
Oh, I looked it up and was listed at only 10 tons...boat designers use long tons of 2240...and a DL of 170 or so is actually light displacement. Weight vs waterline length...

Maybe lightweight for a monohull, but for a catamaran?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:43   #96

Quote:
Maybe lightweight for a monohull, but for a catamaran?

They are just numbers and formulas used in comparing different boats. Displacement tells one how much salt water a given weight "displaces" and is useful in determining how a given weight is distributed along a given waterline.
Multihulls simply have more hulls and different way of distributing the weight, but the numbers for heavy vs light displacement remain the same. Your cat will just not have the weight carrying capacity that a like boat of higher D/L ratio would have. !0 tons may seem like a heavy boat, but distributed along a 39' waterline, it is actually a light boat.

edit: on the other hand it will likely have better performance...
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54   #97
smj

Quote:
They are just numbers and formulas used in comparing different boats. Displacement tells one how much salt water a given weight "displaces" and is useful in determining how a given weight is distributed along a given waterline.
Multihulls simply have more hulls and different way of distributing the weight, but the numbers for heavy vs light displacement remain the same. Your cat will just not have the weight carrying capacity that a like boat of higher D/L ratio would have. !0 tons may seem like a heavy boat, but distributed along a 39' waterline, it is actually a light boat.

edit: on the other hand it will likely have better performance...

Lagoon 400 displaces over 13 tons, the Fusion 40 less than 6 tons. I would say for a multihull the Lagoon is heavy, but makes for a decent cruising boat.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:08   #98
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

In the multi world, these boats are very sensitive to weight. For a cat at 11t to be light it would have to be over 60' IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:04   #99

Quote:
Lagoon 400 displaces over 13 tons, the Fusion 40 less than 6 tons. I would say for a multihull the Lagoon is heavy, but makes for a decent cruising boat.

In reality you won't find any 6 tonne Fusion 40's. (Or 13 tonne L400's either I expect.)

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:11   #100

Quote:
You don't seem to understand the major difference between multihulls and mono's. Ballast.

A 10 tonne 40 foot mono may be a lightish boat, but that's because about 4 tonnes of the 10 is lead. A 10 tonne 40 foot cat is NOT a light boat.

John McEnroe
Old 02-03-2016, 15:20   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
You don't seem to understand the major difference between multihulls and mono's. Ballast.

A 10 tonne 40 foot mono may be a lightish boat, but that's because about 4 tonnes of the 10 is lead. A 10 tonne 40 foot cat is NOT a light boat.
Yep,light and heavy are not absolute terms, they are comparatives.

And using a D/L formula to determine the "heaviness" of a multihull and compare it to the generally accepted D?L ratios for light/heavy monohulls is totally inappropriate.

Clearly yet another person who has felt the need to comment in this multihull design thread with no knowledge in the area.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 15:23   #102
smj

Quote:
In reality you won't find any 6 tonne Fusion 40's. (Or 13 tonne L400's either I expect.)

Your probably right, just numbers I pulled of Multihull Dynamics to make a point.

Old 02-03-2016, 17:34   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

And using a D/L formula to determine the "heaviness" of a multihull and compare it to the generally accepted D?L ratios for light/heavy monohulls is totally inappropriate.

Clearly yet another person who has felt the need to comment in this multihull design thread with no knowledge in the area.
Our D/L ratio puts our full-time liveaboard cruising boat in the "extreme racer" category....

John McEnroe
Old 02-03-2016, 18:50   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

According to the designers of Lagoon 400:

Light displacement of 22,500lbs for a D/L ratio of 189 is considered to be a light displacement boat

Max. loaded cruising displacement of 30,000lbs for a D/L of 248 [heavy displacement boat]

And using the D/L ratio to determine whether a boat is in the Light Displacement category or not is EXACTLY what I was pointing out.

A cat with a D/L of 189 compared to a cat with a D/L of 248 IS a light displacement boat.

Do you really feel the need to be so rude if you don't agree with someone? If I am wrong I would like to understand where my logic is flawed. But is it really necessary to be so nasty?
Old 02-03-2016, 18:55   #105

Quote:

Ballast is irrelevant. If a cat or a mono hull has a D/L in the 150 to 200 range it is a LIGHT DISPLACEMENT boat.