Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 23:24   #1
Lt.

Has anyone ever used one of them? Did you like it? How well did it sail? Would stay on them long term, even livaboard? How far away from shore would you sail with one? Would you go across an ocean in one? These questions are for tris I can buy for under 200,000 USD. Or more likely, 150,000-175,000 USD. I'm exploring all options for a future sailboat. Also, do they have the space more like a mono or cat? I give a price instead of size, since I don't know what I'd be able to trailorable, or typical. Also, what is the spaciousness of a tri like compared to a mono or cat? And how well do they sail? So if anyone can give me some benchmarks for comparing the qualities of trimerans to cats and monos.ie: a catmeran is roughly equivalent in space to a mono 10ft. longer.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 23:28   #2

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: folding trimerans?

Don't have one. But the volume may make living aboard cramped/constraining.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Realistically you can probably trailer something like an F31 without special trailers or tow vehicles. Something like a Telstar 28 or a Contour are also options, but they are far less common. You could possibly include an F36, buy unless you have professional driving skills and a specialized trailer they are not a realistic option.

As a rule multihulls can not carry as much as monohulls, but they tend to be faster which means less time spent on a passage so you may not need to carry as much. There are plans for several other boats if you want to try and build yourself a tri you can tow. A rule of thumb is up to around 35 feet a tri will have more room than a cat and be faster as well, larger than that a cat will probably have more room. The F31 and Telstar will run around $US100k more or less, the F36 $US150k or more. A Dragonfly is also a consideration, but they are few and far between.

Some of your other questions require more than a personal than general answer. Boats like an F31 or Telstar 28 have crossed oceans and cruised for months. People live aboard much smaller boats in marians; on the other hand some folks would say any boat is too small to live aboard.

Your best bet would be to try and find an Fboat you can hitch a ride on and see if you think it has the room for you to cruise or live on. There are lots of Fboats around and the owners are not shy about giving rides. The other tris are much less commonly found for sale.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43   #4

Good evening,

It's all here www.f-boat.com
Love him or hate him, but Ian Farrier is the man when it comes to folding trimarans.

Regards,
Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote