Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2008, 13:50   #1

Boat: Atlantic 48
Folding Props without Locking the Transmission ?

Hey folks, I have a 3 blade folder prop (gori) and would like to hear how other's with folding props (gori or other) manage "freewheeling" while sailing. On my last boat I had a Max prop (feathering). I was able to feather the prop by shutting the engine down in forward. This alloiwed me to avoid locking my transmission in reverse. The last boat was a mono hull with a shaft, the new boat is a multi with saildrives. Locking my engines in reverse folds the props and stops freewheeling but the Yanmars get stuck in reverse even though I shift back to neutral. This causes starting problems after we sail for a while. I confirmed this starting problem (transmission locked in reverse) with Mack Boring but they are not offering any good alternatives to help fold the props.
tburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 14:05   #2

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I have Volvos, but just reverse the gear once the engine is shut off. This closes the props, the back to neutral. Never noticed any problem, as the props shouldn't open, and haven't as far as I know.

Nice video on your site BTW, hoping to see some more sailing stuff, a lovely boat. Is she built at Bongers?

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 17:24   #3

Thanks. Yes, Zen is a Bongers boat. Hull number 2. Some friends of ours are currently having number 3 built at a new SA yard.

I have done the same, pop them in reverse and then back to neutral, but they start spinning after a while and I need to keep dropping them into reverse. What I've found is that ever so often (more often then not) the tranny locks in reverse and the starter can't spin the engine when it is time to start em up again. Not sure there is much I can do. I keep asking just to see if anyone has a secret method I have not thought/heard of.
Old 05-04-2008, 20:03   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Same here. I've got a Gori 2 blade folder with a MD2020 Volvo. I shut down the engine, momentarily hit reverse, and go to neutral. I've never had the prop freewheel after that procedure.

I can't help wondering if you have a worn propeller blade gear or loose blade pin.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:21   #5

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I suggest you drop the Gori folks a line and ask their opinion, this doesn't sound right.

Here are the details for the factory:

Gori propeller A/S
Address:Lysbjergvej 11
Hammelev
DK - 6500 Vojens
DenmarkPhone:+ 45 73 52 53 54
Fax:+ 45 73 52 53 55
Email:mail@gori-propeller.dk

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:15   #6

Props are in great shape. Only a couple years old and I had them off 4 months ago for service to the saildrive. Everything looked good. I'm starting to wonder if they are spinning in folded position. I need to try and get a view of them underway, while spinning.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:06   #7

Boat: Catana 471
Guess I'm doing something wrong. Here's my procedure: put transmission in neutral, stop the engine. My Volvo folders have never stayed open as far as I know.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo T Burgess
I shut my motor down (Yanmar) while still in forward and the 3 blade goris close immediately and already for 4 years without a problem.
Greetings

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:04   #9

Gideon,
Thank you. This is the only thing I have not yet tried. I will try it asap.
-Tom
Old 07-04-2008, 14:22   #10
Eternal Member

Have had an 18" 3-blade MaxProp on my boat for 17 years. Never had the need to lock the transmission, or leave it in gear. My shaft does not turn when sailing. Perkins 4-108 with Paragon transmission and Walter V-drive.

A feathering prop should do just that: when the boat is moving forward, the blades should feather, so that there's virtually no turning motion on the shaft.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 14:30   #11

Bill,
Thanks for the info. I had a Perkins 80hp (can't remeber the model) with straight shaft and max prop in my old 50 foot sloop. I had no probs over more than 10,000 cruising miles. I shut the engine down in forward and all was fine. My current boat sails a bit faster and it seems to be causing issues with the prop spin. In fact, I think the props may be spinning while folded. I need to try and spy the props while underway but it is a bit trcky at 10+ kts. It's a work in progress.
-T
Old 07-04-2008, 20:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Hallo Bill there are rpm counters for sale that will work if set to the top of your sail drive to see if they turn or not they feel the vibration around 80 usd from taiwan
but especcillaly in your very fast cat there should be a notable difference in speed between turning or not
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:39   #13

Thanks but there is no doubt they are spinning I just can't determine if the props are folded or not. I'm off the boat for a couple months. Will know more when we move back aboard.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34   #14

If they are spinning they are opening. Maxprop advise to shut down the engine while in forward to assure the props are feathered. If you shut it down in neutral the prop can index into the reverse postition and then it will freewheel.

When we used the Martec folders we always alligned the shaft so the prop was horizontal and one blade would not flop open, we then locked the tranny in reverse. Nothing spun.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 21:24   #15

Boat: Jeanneua 36
another good thing ive found with the kiwi prop is when under sail for long periods i leave it in reverse 'it never lokes up when going back to nutrel.The blades flow with the water flow,so even wene the boat is pitching the blades aline with the water flow as for reverse the blades are at full angle of pitch.One other thing if one blade is dameged u can replace the single blade.The cost is very reasonable when cowpared wiht gori etc.
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote