Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 12:02   #1
woc
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Lagoon450
Posts: 58
Florida to USVI

Laggon 450 scheduled to sail to USVI early February looking for comparable boat to buddy up. Departure date somewhat flexible with no scheduled stops along the way. Suggested departure point, Key West.
Any and all routing or other recommendations from people who have made this trip at this time of the year are welcome
__________________

__________________
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 12:27   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Florida to USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc View Post
no scheduled stops along the way
Are you serious? Recommend you read up on the Thorny Path, then get Van Zant's book, The Thornless Path.

Seriously, do not assume you will do this non stop. That is simply not sane in the winter.

2 Hulls Dave
__________________

__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 14:40   #3
woc
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Lagoon450
Posts: 58
Re: Florida to USVI

Thanks for the heads up Dave and I will read up on the thorny path. I would like to hear from anyone who has done the thorny / thornless routes this time of the year and their experiences
__________________
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 14:50   #4
Registered User
 
chad.lawie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Michigan
Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
Posts: 170
Re: Florida to USVI

Don't let 2hulls rain on your parade! you CAN do it!

It will be like this and some people really enjoy that.
__________________
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 15:24   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Florida to USVI

I apologize for the gruff first response.

What I should have asked is, "Are you sure you want to do this? Have you studied the routes and applied the typical, known weather conditions in February?"

I have never done this route any time of year. I don't care to beat myself up. My recommendation to folks considering it with more time to plan is to go the the Chesapeake for the summer, then head from there non-stop to the Virgins after Nov. 1. Get there before the Christmas Winds. Then hunker down.

Good luck!

2 Hulls Dave
__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 03:58   #6
woc
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Lagoon450
Posts: 58
Re: Florida to USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I apologize for the gruff first response.

What I should have asked is, "Are you sure you want to do this? Have you studied the routes and applied the typical, known weather conditions in February?"

I have never done this route any time of year. I don't care to beat myself up. My recommendation to folks considering it with more time to plan is to go the the Chesapeake for the summer, then head from there non-stop to the Virgins after Nov. 1. Get there before the Christmas Winds. Then hunker down.

Good luck!

2 Hulls Dave
No offense taken Dave,
You may be interested to follow Jimmy Cornells "Blue Planet Odyssey". The fleet organized by him left Key West Jan. 10 and are presently rounding Cuba heading for Jamaica on their way to Las Plas Islands, Panama.
My point is that there are no guarantees for weather and any trip well planned can be successful regardless of the time of the year.
__________________
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 05:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,580
Images: 240
Re: Florida to USVI

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, woc.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 06:04   #8
Mooderator
 
capngeo's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Key West & Sarasota
Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Posts: 4,211
Images: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Florida to USVI

Been there done that..... NEVER AGAIN; better to load it on Dockwise
__________________
Any fool with a big enough checkbook can BUY a boat; it takes a SPECIAL type of fool to build his own! -Capngeo
capngeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 07:24   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Winters cruising; summers Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Catana 471
Posts: 1,239
Re: Florida to USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc View Post
No offense taken Dave,
You may be interested to follow Jimmy Cornells "Blue Planet Odyssey". The fleet organized by him left Key West Jan. 10 and are presently rounding Cuba heading for Jamaica on their way to Las Plas Islands, Panama.
I have discussed routes personally, face to face with Jimmy on several occasions.

Leaving Key West they're going around the west end of Cuba and they'll have a rough time upwind to Jamaica, but if the wind is typical for this time of year - ENE to E - they can maybe make it in one long port tack. I expect they can bail out ashore in Cuba or Grand Cayman if the wind goes too far E or ESE and wait. I personally would not want to make that beat to Jamaica in January. I expect this has been chosen due to some other more time restrictive consideration further along their route. But once they claw their way to Jamaica, it's home free and all off the wind to Panama. Note they are not going around the world west to east.

Your route, on the other hand, is all upwind and much further to the USVI, on a boat not necessarily distinguished for its weatherly prowess.

Quote:
My point is that there are no guarantees for weather and any trip well planned can be successful regardless of the time of the year.
OK, good luck. So proceed, and let us know how you do. But I do strongly recommend you pick out some places to stop and hole up for awhile. This is part of "well planned."

Alternatively, read van Zant's book, wait till March - at least, and take the Thornless Path, giving yourself plenty of time.

2 Hulls Dave
__________________
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:00   #10
woc
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Lagoon450
Posts: 58
Re: Florida to USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I have discussed routes personally, face to face with Jimmy on several occasions.

Leaving Key West they're going around the west end of Cuba and they'll have a rough time upwind to Jamaica, but if the wind is typical for this time of year - ENE to E - they can maybe make it in one long port tack. I expect they can bail out ashore in Cuba or Grand Cayman if the wind goes too far E or ESE and wait. I personally would not want to make that beat to Jamaica in January. I expect this has been chosen due to some other more time restrictive consideration further along their route. But once they claw their way to Jamaica, it's home free and all off the wind to Panama. Note they are not going around the world west to east.

Your route, on the other hand, is all upwind and much further to the USVI, on a boat not necessarily distinguished for its weatherly prowess.



OK, good luck. So proceed, and let us know how you do. But I do strongly recommend you pick out some places to stop and hole up for awhile. This is part of "well planned."

Alternatively, read van Zant's book, wait till March - at least, and take the Thornless Path, giving yourself plenty of time.

2 Hulls Dave
Time is all I have Dave...and rest assured that " the plan" includes waypoints for shelter along the way. No scheduled stops does not necessarily mean nonstop,
__________________
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 10:07   #11
woc
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Boat: Lagoon450
Posts: 58
Re: Florida to USVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, woc.
Thanks Gord, looking forward to some good exchange of experiences from around the world.
__________________
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 00:04   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 81
Re: Florida to USVI

I'm leaving Georgetown, Exuma on a St. Francis 44 around Jan 29 --Feb 2, for VI. Will wait to see timing of fronts (if any) and forecast before determining route. If favorable, maybe direct; more likely some version of Van Sant's thornless; or possibly Virgintino's suggested route thru Windward Passage and along S shore of Hispaniola & PR (see: A Thinking Man's Guide to Voyages South).

We may be a bit ahead of but feel free to get/keep in touch and compare notes.

Kevin - sailmustardseed@outlook.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
florida

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida to USVI/BVI and Back: A Travelogue with Photos Kim Petersen Atlantic & the Caribbean 6 05-05-2016 23:53
Crew Available: experienced sailor looking to sail from Florida to the USVI or BVI"s willumsen Crew Archives 0 04-08-2013 09:24
Crew Available: Sail from USVI to Florida constantin Crew Archives 0 12-05-2011 12:09
Crew Available: Wanted: Passage from St. Thomas, USVI to Florida lil gypse Crew Archives 1 14-07-2010 07:35
florida to usvi mangomuffins Atlantic & the Caribbean 6 30-03-2008 10:10



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.