Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2013, 18:53   #31

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Re: Fixing things constantly--Is it true?

Simple only works for a day sailors.

Just like a land home you need three important things on a cruising boat.
1) Unlimited fresh water
2) Good clean power
3) Sanitation removal system

None of these three systems is maintenance free

Old 10-11-2013, 19:17   #32
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

"simple" things break, in my experience they break at least as much as the "complex" things that greatly add to enjoyment

Old 10-11-2013, 19:34   #33

Take 1 cup of salt & one gallon of water and slowly pour them over the motor of your cordless drill for 1 minute. Salt water is murder on moving parts and a boat lives in that corrosive environment 24/7. There's no way around it, you'll be fixing stuff.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 19:54   #34
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Simple only works for a day sailors.

Just like a land home you need three important things on a cruising boat.
1) Unlimited fresh water
2) Good clean power
3) Sanitation removal system

None of these three systems is maintenance free
Unlimited water may be something you need but people have been sailing centuries before water makers were invented. Nice luxury but not needed.
Solar panels produce good clean power, in fact I don't think anything is cleaner. And the maintanence for solar panels, the occasional cleaning.
For me the composting head is the ultimate in heads. One moving part and nothing but a computer fan to break. Yes you do have to maintain it but it will never clog and let you down like a standard marine head.
As I said, it all depends on what you can live with. Some need all the luxury's of a home and wouldn't consider it cruising without them. And others need much less and wouldn't consider it cruising if they had more. Pick your poison.
Old 10-11-2013, 19:57   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
A house on land requires just as much effort, time and money for maintenance, repairs, replacements and refitting. Sometimes a lot more so than most of the yachts out there.

I could never fathom how people can say "a boat is a hole on the water you throw money in" and not realize that "a house is hole on the dirt you throw money in."

After a lifetime of owning boats and houses, I'd say you're flat wrong. Maintaining a cruising boat takes about the same amount of effort as owning 5 to 10 houses.

My experience is that the longer I live on a boat, the less time I spend maintaining it. One of the reasons is the learning curve--it takes less than half the time to fix something the second time. After 4-5 years, I start helping other cruisers work on their boats because I don't have enough to keep me busy.

Keep a list of 'to do' items, prioritize them, and put in a couple hours a day until things are under control.
Old 10-11-2013, 20:23   #36

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Using a boat, the boat goes bad.
Don't use a boat, the boat goes bad.

There are some things the PO did (or rather, didn't do) that caused things on the boat to go bad. Lack of maintenance will cause problems and sometimes those problems can cascade into bigger problems. I had two portholes leaking due to dried out gaskets that has caused problems to some interior wood, found a hole that used to be drilled through the deck but wasn't sealed correctly and causing leaking too, the seacock for the engine raw water cooling went bad, where if I put the boat in the water without seeing it, would have sunk it immediately, pulled the head out for someday putting in a composting head and found a 2" x 3" hole in the holding tank so I'm glad I never tested it out....

I think someone already said that you have to stay ahead of things by maintaining things properly. For me, it's mostly little things that can/did cause problems. Another thing I dealt with was bees that had infested the boat and the POs answer was to set off a bug bomb and leave them.

I've only had the boat a year and a half and lots of issues have needed attention that kept me from actually sailing the boat. And I sailed this boat only once. I don't consider my boat to be very complicated either. I plan to do a haul out next year and start a refit to fix a lot more things that I've noticed. My boat is 32yrs old and after a refit, it could last another 30+yrs.

Personally, I don't mind working on my boat. I can't afford to pay someone else to do everything for me so I research for solutions on how to do things and that has helped out a lot. Now I know my boat better after each project and still have more to learn.

Any work you do, it's a good idea that you do it right the first time even if it might cost a little more. Don't take any short cuts. Otherwise, you're likely to repair the mistake again and waste more time and money on it later.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 20:48   #37

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

For instance, one of my windshield wipers "exploded" today. Yes, the joy of boating!

Old 10-11-2013, 21:30   #38

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
For instance, one of my windshield wipers "exploded" today. Yes, the joy of boating!

Piece of cake.
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 21:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Using a boat, the boat goes bad.
Don't use a boat, the boat goes bad.

There are some things the PO did (or rather, didn't do) that caused things on the boat to go bad. Lack of maintenance will cause problems and sometimes those problems can cascade into bigger problems. I had two portholes leaking due to dried out gaskets that has caused problems to some interior wood, found a hole that used to be drilled through the deck but wasn't sealed correctly and causing leaking too, the seacock for the engine raw water cooling went bad, where if I put the boat in the water without seeing it, would have sunk it immediately, pulled the head out for someday putting in a composting head and found a 2" x 3" hole in the holding tank so I'm glad I never tested it out....

I think someone already said that you have to stay ahead of things by maintaining things properly. For me, it's mostly little things that can/did cause problems. Another thing I dealt with was bees that had infested the boat and the POs answer was to set off a bug bomb and leave them.

I've only had the boat a year and a half and lots of issues have needed attention that kept me from actually sailing the boat. And I sailed this boat only once. I don't consider my boat to be very complicated either. I plan to do a haul out next year and start a refit to fix a lot more things that I've noticed. My boat is 32yrs old and after a refit, it could last another 30+yrs.

Personally, I don't mind working on my boat. I can't afford to pay someone else to do everything for me so I research for solutions on how to do things and that has helped out a lot. Now I know my boat better after each project and still have more to learn.

Any work you do, it's a good idea that you do it right the first time even if it might cost a little more. Don't take any short cuts. Otherwise, you're likely to repair the mistake again and waste more time and money on it later.
NIGHTMARE COME TRUE
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
Old 10-11-2013, 21:36   #40

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
NIGHTMARE COME TRUE
I (partially) knew what I was getting myself into. Some things I knew about and others turned out to be surprises.

Still...

“There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
-Kenneth Grahame
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:52   #41

What about a trawler? Is that the answer?
Old 11-11-2013, 21:36   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Unlimited water may be something you need but people have been sailing centuries before water makers were invented. Nice luxury but not needed.
Solar panels produce good clean power, in fact I don't think anything is cleaner. And the maintanence for solar panels, the occasional cleaning.
For me the composting head is the ultimate in heads. One moving part and nothing but a computer fan to break. Yes you do have to maintain it but it will never clog and let you down like a standard marine head.
As I said, it all depends on what you can live with. Some need all the luxury's of a home and wouldn't consider it cruising without them. And others need much less and wouldn't consider it cruising if they had more. Pick your poison.
My wife requires lots of water and electrical power to be content, and if I ever decided to install an outhouse inside the house.... My cruising days would be over... Friends and family would never tolerate it.

But I do understand that for some people, with special circumstances, the outhouse does make more sense like on a fresh water reservoir.
Old 11-11-2013, 22:28   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
[QUOTE="ty.gregory"]
The various components and elements of a boat deteriorate by time and exposure to the sun as well as by engine hours and sea miles.

Paul Elliot's experience is not typical, IMHO. I'd like to know what kind of boat that is, and how new it is. Most of us fix something just about every day, and keep a long list of "to do" items of varying degrees of urgency, which never seems to get shorter, since new items to repair appear as fast as we can get the old items sorted.

Cruising like you propose will hardly affect the rate of repair since you'll only be sparing the rig and propulsion, and even those components will only be spared the miles- and hours-defined part of the wear, not the time- and exposure-defined parts. You will be using domestic systems constantly, the bottom will be accumulating growth, sun will be beating on the brightwork and canvas work, with every day which goes by.

But it needn't be "pain". It's even kind of pleasant if you've set aside enough time and money for it. Being somewhat ahead of the curve and knowing that your boat is well maintained can be very satisfying.

I disagree that it's like a house - boats, at least non-Spartan ones, are much more maintenance intensive than most houses. The reason why people call them "holes in the water" etc. is because, unlike the case with most houses, you never get the money back - there's no real estate, so a boat is a continuously depreciating asset. It's a poor financial proposition - boats are really pure consumption. But nothing wrong with that as long as you can afford it. Like the old jokes about divorces or young mistresses - why are boats so expensive? Because they're worth it.
Old 11-11-2013, 22:38   #44

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
What about a trawler? Is that the answer?
The more complications, the more problems. Trawlers often have more system/comforts/complications, so may have more maintenance issues. Rowboats and canoes have much less maintenance.
Old 11-11-2013, 22:51   #45

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Boats are different than houses because they can sink. That'll kill you. The more you work on your boat, the better you know it. When (not if) you have a problem, you're better able to deal with it. Sometimes it's just you. The zen is to find working on the boat to be part of the experience, and enjoy it. I sail because it's (very) fun. Actually it's fulfilling in a very basic way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: