Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 12:20   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Fishing net as tramp-Can anyone recommend the best material?

Hey Cavalier, that looks like what I want.Will do some dumpster diving in port on the weekend.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 07-12-2015, 12:23   #17

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Fabrics | Fishing nets | Netherlands | companies
Old 07-12-2015, 14:09   #18

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hey Cavalier, that looks like what I want.Will do some dumpster diving in port on the weekend.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
You're my kind of sailor Franziska!
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:33   #19

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I had a couple of "thinks" on coatings. Specifically; It's probably worth testing out some of the various Water Based paints on a few scraps of netting. And by testing, I mean that said test pieces should be; coated, & then put into an area/situation where they are repeatedly subject to stress flexing (the load induced type), & lots & lots of UV exposure.

Then, once your testing yields some useful feedback, you could do a Heavy Duty laundering of your (in place) uncoated nets. And then paint them with a few coats of "X". Based on your coating trial test results.

The thinking behind the water based paint idea, is to remove as much in the way of solvents & chemicals, as is possible. Which go onto the nets. Or as much as you reasonably can, anyway.

Maybe look at trying out some of the Latex paints, for their inherent flexibility. Though I wouldn't cross a WR LPU off the list automatically. Like, say the one made by System Three Resins, or similar.

Also, have you given any thought to sewing some (wide'ish) webbing to the perimeter of your nets? As I'm thinking that if you were to heavily affix some 2" (50mm) wide webbing to their edges. Then it could assist in preventing (much of) the point loading on the individual strands of the netting. Particularly where it meets the boat/lacing fixtures.

Or, as a plan B, do the same type of thing, but with, say, a 4" (100mm) wide perimeter of canvas affixed to the nets (on both sides, top & bottom).
Much like the extra cloth which goes onto a sail at the clew, & around reef points. Albeit, I know that the workability/viability of such depends on the attachment points built into your boat.

Also, once you're done building your new nets, & are happy with the results: If you'd be so kind as to post; what you looked at hard, & or tried. In terms of both: Kinds of netting, and also coatings. I know that I, & likely lots of other folks, would be very appreciative of learning of such information.
That info, plus anything else relevent, which you discover on your quest.

Good Luck!

PS: Another idea on where to find cheap netting might be to contact the netting manufacturers directly. And ask them who, amongst their distributors, might give you the best deal, & or, who routinely have some appropriately sized scraps around.
That, or you might get really lucky, & find a manufacturer who has some "factory 2nd's" on hand; cheap or even free (but for the price of shipping). Especially as you don't need much, nor for it to be full on extreme duty stuff. Thus, a 2nd or off cut, might serve just fine.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:20   #20
cruiser

Conventional fishing nets are rough, and the knots really uncomfortable to sit or walk on, something you might consider. Also, the durability, or lack thereof, of whatever fibre you choose can mean more frequent replacement, which in the longer term will cost you more than a higher-quality product, never mind the labor involved in relacing the nets every time.

Sunrise Yacht Products has 'net paint' which is a latex-based net coating, and it is a good product.

Sewing a perimeter strip to nets isn't easy to do well/right. The net has to be stretched, correctly, before sewing the vinyl strip onto it, which is one reason why it is fairly expensive to buy fabricated catamaran netting
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:23   #21

I haven't broken individual strands lacing without that perimeter webbing, for a 2 inch weave mine attaches every 2 inches. At every point it is knotted so a break doesn't unravel the whole lacing.

Longevity isn't a issue, they are still strong, painting should take you past 10 years easily. I prefer the knots over the welded variety, I think they last longer. I don't find the knots uncomfortable but I have been called insensitive and thick skinned The bottom of a seine net takes a beating, this stuff is built to take it.

Webbing instead of strand nets dramatically increases wind resistance through the net. I know of a Farrier tri that flipped over backwards beating to windward in a strong wind and sea when a gust got under the bow nets as it crested wave. One crew didn't make it out from under.

Some things might be more comfortable or stylish, adding yacht to the name does make anything more expensive. Bottom line is they work, last and are affordable.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:12   #22

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Cage Nets for Fish Farming - Vónin

http://www.haverford.com.au/knotless.html
Soft knotless netting
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28   #23

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

For what its worth. I priced out a new net for my Cat and decided on "Supertramp" material. Its a square hole material coated with a type of plastic made by Dupont. Some say its not recommended for offshore, but many have circumnavigated with it. Its the material used on Leopard Cats. If you are doing coastal or short offshore, I would hesitate. My initial tramp lasted 10 years in the tropics and I could still get another 2 if I pushed it.

I priced my tramponline through Tony Strut Ullman SailsSa. and was given a very attractive price (even after shipping). Look him up on google. He can quote in any material.

Here is a picture of the material. Its very comfortable to walk and lay on.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51   #24

TravellerW, that's the material I have currently.
It is aging now and rips at the perimeter.
Primarily due to wave impact.

Due to this I decided to go for netting instead.

Will cut the netting slightly oversize, knot a strand thick line tightly around the 3 outermost net strands.
Then thread saillantes through the perimeter & tie them to the boat.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 08-12-2015, 10:59   #25

Boat: Cross trimaran 38

Deltanetandtwine.Com
It worked for me. I painted with acrylic using a hot dog roller after installing.
wingit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46   #26

Quote:
TravellerW, that's the material I have currently.
It is aging now and rips at the perimeter.
Primarily due to wave impact.

Due to this I decided to go for netting instead.

Will cut the netting slightly oversize, knot a strand thick line tightly around the 3 outermost net strands.
Then thread saillantes through the perimeter & tie them to the boat.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Hmm you are the second cat owner to say that. I'm a little surprised as mine seems to stand up to wave impact very well. My boat crossed the Atlantic 3 times and wd just did a gulf stream crossing with waves coming through the tramp.

How long did you get out of it?
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00   #27

Mine ripped on 4 well pressed grommets.
Might be also the material age.Not sure how old,it came with the boat.
I think I prefer netting due to less water resistance.

www.ladyrover.jimdo.com
Old 08-12-2015, 14:55   #28

Quote:
Mine ripped on 4 well pressed grommets.
Might be also the material age.Not sure how old,it came with the boat.
I think I prefer netting due to less water resistance.

Welcome to the Woods Mira 35 - Catamaran Lady Rovers Website!
My grommets ripped out as well.

Anyway good luck on your search. I would suggest you find some tramps to walk on before deciding. Although I agree about the water resistance, I really hate walking on netting.
Old 08-12-2015, 15:20   #29

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Hi Fran, I used to commercial seine fish in Alaska so went to the outfit that caters to the fishermen when it was time to replace my nets. I used the heavy test designed for the bottom of the net, each strand has about a 600 pound breaking strength. Since the outfitters also build nets the odd sized scraps were just about free for the most part. Keeping them painted helps them last, I didn't bother on mine as I wanted to change the way they attach, still haven't got around to it and they have lasted 6 years so far. I'd avoid the tar coated nets as it will rub off on sails or clothes when doing the hammock thing.
As an ex commercial fisherman, I agree with that. The tar treatment will get on clothes, sails, bodies, lines, etc. On the other hand, the bunt of a seine net usually is much heavier, closer weave and isn't tarred as I recall. Not certain what is called in Europe but imagine the design for commercial seine nets are close to the same.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:16   #30

Net retailers and makers sell the same thing for multiple purposes, fishing industry,sports backdrops, cargo etc..... the main thing is to get the weight and closeness of weave you want. Going thin/lite means having to replace sooner as there isn't the safety margin. Chris White mentions fishing net for tramps in his cruising multihull book.

Tags
fish, fishing, men, ramp