Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 17:11   #16

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: First time Poster, Monohull convert, first question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Any idea what the boat weighs? I'd probably stick with the 12 mm, since you have the gypsy for it, but for QLD 50-60metres should be enough.

Edit: just re-read the OP, and saw that you have 10mm chain/gypsy currently. In that case yeah, 60 m is probably about what you need.

Don't worry about drum sizes, if you go to trawler supplies on the Gold coast they can sell you whatever length you want. They also have a product called Armagal or similar, a much harder type of galvanizing, which is claimed to last much longer.
Hello again 44'cruisingcat, I am going in the middle of general advice between 60 M and 100 M, for the benefit of the doubt in 7 to 1 scope hurricane dog hole stuff, 80 M of Hi-Tensile.. And on research per your comments: In the corrosion and abrasion resistant Armagal. And for general information Australians, it is now "Southport Trawler Supplies" above the Gold Coast, in Southport and a very knowledgeable fellow there on the chain is Callum, who equips a lot of commercial vessels. My Gypsy is universal 10mm-3/8" from the ID markings, but when I go pick it up we will take the gypsy for the confirmation test.. .. Armagal, H.T. chain seems the go... And 80 Metres, since I have a second big hook and road to put the existing 30 M on... Best regards 44cruisingcat.. Helia
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:01   #17

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

My impression is you can't regalvanize High Tensile chain, is that correct? If you were thinking of keeping a boat for 10 years or so, being able to regal the chain would be a consideration, wouldn't it?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:13   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
My impression is you can't regalvanize High Tensile chain, is that correct? If you were thinking of keeping a boat for 10 years or so, being able to regal the chain would be a consideration, wouldn't it?

If one can afford to purchase a new Hellia and keep it for ten years then the cost difference between re galvanizing or purchasing new chain would be a drop in the bucket compared to the other costs of ownership?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:40   #19

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Ah, true enough smj Must try and keep perspective on things
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 19:47   #20
smj

Quote:
Ah, true enough smj Must try and keep perspective on things
Old 12-10-2014, 19:47   #21

Quote:
BigBeakie,
From the studies of the Armagal compared to the regular hot dipped galvanizing, the Armagal lasts two-three times as long.... Ten years is not out of the question for my use especially if I hose it with fresh water when I can.. Secondly, in all fairness, it is not cheap to hot dip galvanize the chain, and it would not be as good as Armagal, for the difference between hot dipping and buying new, you would have new Armagal again rather than bother... It is worth about $15 a meter, so what 80 Meters is only $1200? Re-galvanizing is not cheap.. I would buy new Armagal again and donate the old chain to the fishing fleet for a bucket of two of prawns... heh he

Now on HT (High Tensile) I am a reasonable Marine Engineer, and what you are talking about is that they pre-heat the steel to hot dip galvanize it. In theory this would remove some or all of the HT characteristics. However, this is not much of a high tensile issue, probably a lot of it comes from just heating and work hardening it as they machine bend the link out of coiled steel rod that is just a little higher tensile than mild steel. Not as big of an issue as one might think in practical terms. Anyway, I will probably give away the chain to the fishing fleet and buy new rather than ship and re-galvanize... It makes good $ sense.. I hope this helps you....

Kind regards, Helia 44
Old 12-10-2014, 19:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
If one can afford to purchase a new Hellia and keep it for ten years then the cost difference between re galvanizing or purchasing new chain would be a drop in the bucket compared to the other costs of ownership?
My Friend, with my owning my own dock so a $220,000 savings over ten years.. I am a reasonable Marine Engineering sort and do my own maintenance.. And a falling Oz dollar now at .86 U.S. when the boat was bought a .96 U.S. and I expect in a commodity slowdown the Aus Dollar to go to .70 ? My Helia is likely to be a VERY good investment.. Replacement costs will go up by more than the Helia will devalue over the next few years... And IMO hyper inflation is the only way out of this post GFC deflationary trend, the Helia might be worth more than I paid for it... Now my advice above to BigBeakie was valid, regardless of the vessel value, OK? Fair enough?

Kind regards, Helia 44 in Australia, one of only 2...
Old 12-10-2014, 20:14   #23
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
My Friend, with my owning my own dock so a $220,000 savings over ten years.. I am a reasonable Marine Engineering sort and do my own maintenance.. And a falling Oz dollar now at .86 U.S. when the boat was bought a .96 U.S. and I expect in a commodity slowdown the Aus Dollar to go to .70 ? My Helia is likely to be a VERY good investment.. Replacement costs will go up by more than the Helia will devalue over the next few years... And IMO hyper inflation is the only way out of this post GFC deflationary trend, the Helia might be worth more than I paid for it... Now my advice above to BigBeakie was valid, regardless of the vessel value, OK? Fair enough?

Kind regards, Helia 44 in Australia, one of only 2...

No disrespect intended, just what I considered common sense.

Tags
hull, monohull