Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-05-2014, 13:23   #1

Boat: 1983 oday 22'
first sailboat? :)

I know this probably isn't the "proper" place to put this post... but all my friends are here. As many of you know, in October my husband and I settled on our retirement plan of purchasing a catamaran, and sailing the Caribbean. And I'm sure all of you rolled your eyes when I mentioned that we've "never been on a boat".

Well.. we've been studying, and asking questions.. networking, etc. Yesterday, my husband had a rare Saturday off, and so we drove an hour to Carlyse Lake, which is a lovely sailing lake, well within driving distance of St. Louis. We wanted to check out a "yacht club" there to see if we could network and maybe crew on some boats when they have their sailing races. When I say "yacht club" what I really mean is 4 concrete walls with restrooms, a rustic kitchen, and a deck for socializing. There are four docks with slips... and room for about 25-30 sailboats (no more than 35' in length)

To make a long story short.. I'm pretty sure we just bought our first sailboat!!!!

It's a 1983 Oday 22'. Despite it's age it is in really great shape. I had no idea it was that old. What I liked about it was that (a) it was in really good shape. (b) there was very little equiptment on it to break (c) the cockpit was roomy enough for Scott and I and the three pups. and (d)... it is really a great boat for us to learn to sail on.. not too big.. not to small.. just right!!

The guy is asking $3500 for it. it comes with a trailer, and an ouboard motor, he has the perfect slip location (that will go with the boat). boat has just been repainted...

Scott is going to go for a sail with the guy on Tuesday...

What are your thoughts? any advise? are we nuts?!? )

Old 18-05-2014, 14:07   #2
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: first sailboat? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I know this probably isn't the "proper" place to put this post... but all my friends are here. As many of you know, in October my husband and I settled on our retirement plan of purchasing a catamaran, and sailing the Caribbean. And I'm sure all of you rolled your eyes when I mentioned that we've "never been on a boat".

Well.. we've been studying, and asking questions.. networking, etc. Yesterday, my husband had a rare Saturday off, and so we drove an hour to Carlyse Lake, which is a lovely sailing lake, well within driving distance of St. Louis. We wanted to check out a "yacht club" there to see if we could network and maybe crew on some boats when they have their sailing races. When I say "yacht club" what I really mean is 4 concrete walls with restrooms, a rustic kitchen, and a deck for socializing. There are four docks with slips... and room for about 25-30 sailboats (no more than 35' in length)

To make a long story short.. I'm pretty sure we just bought our first sailboat!!!!

It's a 1983 Oday 22'. Despite it's age it is in really great shape. I had no idea it was that old. What I liked about it was that (a) it was in really good shape. (b) there was very little equiptment on it to break (c) the cockpit was roomy enough for Scott and I and the three pups. and (d)... it is really a great boat for us to learn to sail on.. not too big.. not to small.. just right!!

The guy is asking $3500 for it. it comes with a trailer, and an ouboard motor, he has the perfect slip location (that will go with the boat). boat has just been repainted...

On the contrary.. I think your pretty damn smart..
You get to learn boat handling and the sail management in relatively sheltered water.. safer in many ways than starting in tidal waters.. you've a boat you can tow home end of season saving both time and money.. just step outa the door and do your bits on her (unless your in an apartment).. next season you can trail her to the coast for some sea time in an easy coastal area..
Nope.. your doing good...
Enjoy..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 14:10   #3

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Re: first sailboat? :)

I would just say Congratulation with your first boat and your first adventures as well and remember if it makes you happy then go for it..
Old 18-05-2014, 15:03   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I owned an ODay 222, and really enjoyed sailing it. It's easy to handle, low maintenance and big enough to take some friends out in. You'll have a ball!
Old 18-05-2014, 15:17   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

This is a good sign. Sailing on a boat will tell you more about how the boat fits your plan than anything else.

Kinda wonder if you are going or not.

Even if you don't buy the boat every time you go sailing on any boat you learn something.
Old 18-05-2014, 15:22   #6

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

What they said!

Great first boat, great place to learn most of the basics. Just be safe. 5 foot deep water can drown just as dead as 5 mile deep water.

A year or two with that boat will help you figure out where you are going with this sailing thing, and give you some background knowledge and experience. You shouldn't lose any great deal of money on the deal when you sell/upgrade, if you maintain the boat yourself and keep it up nice. After the 30 year mark there isn't much depreciation from age left in her.

Let's see... freshwater boat, trailered, well kept... I don't think you overpaid. Should have plenty of years left.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 15:25   #7

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I believe the best first sailboat is any sailboat, and that at $3500 you cannot go wrong, as long you can comfortably bear that cost.

If all the sailing equipment is in working order, all the lines are in fair condition, and the sails usable then you have a perfect first boat.

Enjoy
Old 18-05-2014, 15:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Kinda wonder if you are going or not.
Unfortunately, I can't... But Scott will do very well on his own. He knows a lot more about the mechanics of sailing than I do..
Old 18-05-2014, 21:31   #9

Agree with everything said, I bought my kids a $200 plywood Mirror, they don't like sailing (yet)

No great loss. Smart move, now use it !
Old 19-05-2014, 09:10   #10

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca

Don't know anything about your new boat but we started much the same way. Had a beach cat 14ft many years ago and then a few years ago bought a 19 ft trailer sailer. Used it heaps, went everywhere, my wife got used to sailing, made some mistakes, learnt a lot. After a couple of years we started looking for something bigger, bought a 10m cat and moved aboard. Sold the 30 yo trailer sailer for what I paid for it. Now on a 12m cat and permanent live aboard cruisers.

Buying and sailing a small boat will teach you what you need to know without spending much money. If you don't scare yourself too much and like it you can move up to whatever your heart and bank account allows. After learning to handle a small boat a larger cat will be no trouble for you.

Good luck

Bob
Casablanca Lagoon 420
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 10:55   #11

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:

On the contrary. You've only committed a small amount of money on a nice well kept boat that you can learn to sail on and make sure you actually like this long term sailing thing. Great first boat and it will really help you learn how to sail. Now just make sure you keep asking lots of questions and have as many different people go sailing with you. You will find that you learn something new from everybody.

Good luck with your adventure
Old 19-05-2014, 11:05   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Ditto what everyone has said. Once I started sailing Cal20s, the learning curve went vertical. So this is a great first step. Congratulations for taking the initiative. The seller probably saw a noob couple with a lot of enthusiasm. My guess is that most sellers want their boat to go to someone who will take care of it and sail the heck out it. Even better if you can continue to have contact with this person to ask questions. You're going to love it!! Keep us posted.
Old 19-05-2014, 11:24   #13

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Along the same lines as everyone else congratulations!

My first mono was an Oday 22 and I used it ALOT. I had a great time and just kept it on a mooring in the summers instead of towing it everywhere. They are fun little boats with enough to camp and spend the weekends on.

The one downside I found was that when it rained there wasn't really a comfortable place to sit down below. The decks were to low for me at 6'2" to sit on the berths in the main area and there was no backrest. However it was only a small inconvience and most of the time I was on deck anyways.
Old 21-05-2014, 13:33   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Aloha and congratulations!

If Scott likes the boat and you become owners you'll have a great boat and the right size plus its trailerable and you can take it other places if Carlisle gets too small.

I got up to visit your lake a few years ago while I was visiting relatives in Kentucky and Illinois. It looks like a great place to sail but might have some shallow spots to watche out for.

Their club looked really neat to me.

Just a comment but I nearly passed your post up because it was listed under multi-hulled boats.
Old 21-05-2014, 14:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Just a comment but I nearly passed your post up because it was listed under multi-hulled boats.

Hi SkiprJohn!

I'm sorry... I did put it on the wrong board... everyone I know is here.. but I will now be moving over to the mono board whilst I learn to sail and maintain my new boat...which we DID purchase!!!

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: