Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2013, 13:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Manning View Post
@ Sea Fog
"yet you think that thay share the same security issues... It's like to say that "When I was a kid, we had a car accident on my grandma's 1934 ford and I am very cautious about modern Volvo safety because it has 4 wheels and an engine, just like that Ford".

Not a good analogy. A 1934 ford would not have the same build and construction type of MODERN cars. Safety regulations have change significantly over the years. Comparing an octogenarian ford to a modern volvo (which has a history of excellent safety and dependability) is hardly a feasible comparison. Secondly, as I said before, the privilege has "similar" design aspects to the cat that was flipped. Granted, you also have to take into account human error on behalf of the captain and skipper, but neither were drunk and had a history of sailing. I have seen posts from privilege owners who rave about how much they love their cat. Well, asking someone who has a bias towards a certain product is like asking a Mac or PC fanboy which hardware/operating system they think is the best. What Im looking for, I guess, is someone with an outsiders perspective on the matter. Or at least an owner who has things they LOVE about their cat but also willing to acknowledge and disclose all the small/big hicups and problems they have had with their cat. I hope that when you get your boat you'll post an update or least keep updates on your voyage. I would definitely be willing to hear/read more about the newly renovated priv. series.

@ Goosebumps
You joined this month and only have two posts and one of them is quite possibly the most unhelpful response you could give someone especially since it didn't address the questions the poster posed to the community. As for handling, my cousin has a 50ft which she, YES SHE 50 and kicking ass, single-hands due to the fact that she is an experienced sailor, AND customized the rig (interior/exterior) in order to be able to manage it. As for being able to "access" certain places, for the most part, what I have learned the reason most ships cant access different islands is due to depth issues. Stationary daggerboards leaving them incapable of getting close enough to the island due to the islands shallow water. There are other factors Im well aware of, and yet the reason listed above seems to be a prevailing factor the majority of the time.
You are right no all counts! I just want to add a point about the access to many great anchorages. The beam, lenght of larger cats (the draught of 34 to 45 foot cats is not
Much different) determines if there can enter narrow canals. Then my galley is down in hull, works for me, i rarely cook while underway.
Goosebumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 13:20   #17

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Finding the right cat for me.

For the "don't have to ask what it costs" folks, they will make you a custom design to suit whatever you want. WHAT YOU WANT is something only you know, asking others just doesn't seem to helpful in this regard. Maybe feedback on how a builder handled a custom build might be more useful.

MY boat will be a 50ft cat/tri motorboat with solar/hybrid/electric propulsion.
I can't think of anything else I'd rather have even if a billionaire, maybe a little bigger.
As I recommended in another thread or two, if I had the funds I would buy John Hitch XIT and convert it to solar/electric/hybrid.
Old 18-05-2013, 13:21   #18

Sunking & MBLittle
Ty, I had no idea. Its always easy to miss the little things. I suppose I could always talk to the builders about customizing the interior. I want to get as much info as I can before I bother with contacting the builders. From what I know this builder produces on demand so being able to see and touch the finished product with my own eyes and hands would be asking a lot.

Factor
Havnt herd of that builder (McConaghy), Ill look into him. I dont mind looking at all possibilities. Having a smaller cat means cheaper maint costs and easy handling with little to no custimization. Only problem is space comfort zone I suppose.
As for Outreamer and Catana are on the very bottom of my list atm.

Snort
Ty for your input
R. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 13:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
You are right no all counts! I just want to add a point about the access to many great anchorages. The beam, lenght of larger cats (the draught of 34 to 45 foot cats is not
Much different) determines if there can enter narrow canals. Then my galley is down in hull, works for me, i rarely cook while underway.
Yes, Im well aware of the beam issues. I dont plan on spending a lot of time mooring in marinas. The one marina that I've purchased a slip on can very well accommodate higher beams and has easy access to the coastline without having to worry about going under low bridges. The good thing about the internet is you have access to all sorts of info. about routes, obsticles, and moorings along the way. You cant prepare for everything, but you can be well informed enough to get the job done and avoid problematic canals so on and so forth.
Old 18-05-2013, 13:38   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
For the "don't have to ask what it costs" folks, they will make you a custom design to suit whatever you want. WHAT YOU WANT is something only you know, asking others just doesn't seem to helpful in this regard. Maybe feedback on how a builder handled a custom build might be more useful.

MY boat will be a 50ft cat/tri motorboat with solar/hybrid/electric propulsion.
I can't think of anything else I'd rather have even if a billionaire, maybe a little bigger.
As I recommended in another thread or two, if I had the funds I would buy John Hitch XIT and convert it to solar/electric/hybrid.
Yes, most builders can customize to your hearts content. However, builders who already have models out there with indoor cockpits and a few other things would be my primary go to builders. There are several production builders, and there are several custom job creators. What Im asking is for those who have seen specs similar to what Im looking for and can direct me towards those builders. I am also looking for feedback on different cruisers experiences said builders. I have also asked about different issues with builders that are applicable to anybody with similar boat build. I dont know if my original post made that clear enough. Communication has never been my strong point but I, like most people, am a work in progress. Ty for the suggestion on the John Hitch. Ill add it to my list of new prospects to check out.
Old 18-05-2013, 14:06   #21

Boat: PT-11

All these guys looking for their great big cat should get out and sail some. Your priorities are all out of whack. It sounds more like you're buying a condo than a boat.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:02   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
All these guys looking for their great big cat should get out and sail some.
Interesting. What one person deems "a great big cat" could be considered pip squeak to someone else. With that in mind, 40-50 ft cat IN MY OPINION is NOT a great big cat. Obviously, in your opinion you disagree. However, opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one. You have your taste and I have mine, and I would appreciate you not using YOUR taste to judge my own.
Quote:
Your priorities are all out of whack. It sounds more like you're buying a condo than a boat.
Again, your opinion about MY priorities. And if you had bothered to actually READ my post before trolling, you would have noticed that condo living isnt a priority. You have very little to no idea of what MY idea of comfort is so again, I would appreciate you keeping your incredibly unhelpful personal opinions about my choices to yourself.
Old 18-05-2013, 15:04   #23

Says the guy with the Switch 51!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:11   #24

Look Bud, its a public forum. You're gonna have to be able to take this kind of feedback if you want to use it. I said what I think about your search. That's your feedback. I'm sorry if it offended you; it might have been a bit direct, but that's the way I am. I did read your post and there is not a single mention of bridgedeck clearance, sailplan and rig, daggers vs. keels, hull dimensions and stability ratios, helm position, etc. And you're comparing a gunboat to the makers of charter cats.
Old 18-05-2013, 15:45   #25

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

seems you need a custom design build although most high end vessels will custom fitout to your requirements with standard hull.

Look at a Morelli and Melvin design. They did a 50ft over 10 years ago Adaiago thats currently in Tasmania.
Design & Build | Adagio Journal

Mala Conducta 62 Luxury Sailing Catamarans - Morrelli & Melvin | Multihull Design * Engineering * Brokerage

Have a look at the new Broadblue Rapier 550 designed by Darrel Newton of Dazcat and built by Multimarine. Ist hull is in the water now. Has fully protected cockpit you are seeking.

Rapier550 | BROADBLUE | The World's Finest Catamarans

Also the Freeflow 52 would be suitable and fitout could be custom with an American builder of your choice.

FreeFlow Catamarans
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 15:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Look Bud, its a public forum. You're gonna have to be able to take this kind of feedback if you want to use it. I said what I think about your search. That's your feedback. I'm sorry if it offended you; it might have been a bit direct, but that's the way I am. I did read your post and there is not a single mention of bridgedeck clearance, sailplan and rig, daggers vs. keels, hull dimensions and stability ratios, helm position, etc. And you're comparing a gunboat to the makers of charter cats.
*facepalm*
1. Whether in a public forum or in real life, being a douchbag is being a douchbag as much as being helpful and answering a question is being helpful and answering a question.
2. With all the cats I listed above, of course I have done a bit of research on cats. Rigging, daggers, etc, unlike deck clearance, hull dimensions, etc can be easily modified to suit a sailors taste. I have already looked into these prospects and have weighed the pros and con thus leading SOME of the options for SOME of the boats Ive been considering. Im not looking to jump into buying a boat today. I measure twice and cut once. This post involves getting info on the issues Ive found in some of the boats I'm seriously considering as well as finding info about diff boat builders I may have overlooked. NOT asking for feedback about whether or not my choices are valid according to "insert poster here."
3. Who even said that luxury/condo living was a top priority for me? Albeit comfort has different meanings to different people. But when a person says "I dont need air conditioning or heating, but a washing machine, ability to keep laptop going is a must." comfort for that person may be completely different than what you have in mind. Would it have been better if I had not looked at gb or chris white because they aren't geared towards the charter market? Why would or should I exclude a particular boat maker because it doesnt cater to a main stream demographic? Not only that, but fp, lagoon, leopard are now making cats geared to owner operated, blue water cruising. With innovations in technology you have builders pushing previous boundaries. Some fail while others triumph and no matter what market your looking to break into, if a builder is crossing a threshold into a market your interested in, it would make sense to investigate as much as possible and not limit your options.
4. I seem to recall Sea Fogs thread asking for similar specs to what Im asking for and yet in your response I see nothing along the lines of the same response you've given me. Was it because he mentioned no sail drives and in boon furling that he somehow makes his post more credible than mine? Hell if I know. Though I do know that the issues Ive brought up against each of the cats were valid issues that I wanted more info on. Its that simple.
Despite my obvious irritation with your post, and my penchant for arguing ad nausea, I dont want to drag this into a flame thread. I seriously want to hear about different sailors opinions in cases where they have had experience in the topics Ive posted in this thread. If your not interested in that fine, not like I can force you. I would simply appreciate you not contributing unhelpful comments to the thread.
Old 18-05-2013, 15:52   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
seems you need a custom design build although most high end vessels will custom fitout to your requirements with standard hull.

Look at a Morelli and Melvin design. They did a 50ft over 10 years ago Adaiago thats currently in Tasmania.
Design & Build | Adagio Journal

Mala Conducta 62 Luxury Sailing Catamarans - Morrelli & Melvin | Multihull Design * Engineering * Brokerage

Have a look at the new Broadblue Rapier 550 designed by Darrel Newton of Dazcat and built by Multimarine. Ist hull is in the water now. Has fully protected cockpit you are seeking.

Rapier550 | BROADBLUE | The World's Finest Catamarans

Also the Freeflow 52 would be suitable and fitout could be custom with an American builder of your choice.

FreeFlow Catamarans
TY ty ty...this is what Im talking about. Info on different, non mainstream builders that I can get some info on. Ive heard of Melvin and Morreli, they worked with GB in the past. Didnt know they were still custom building cats on their own though. Never heard of Daryl Newton, Ill give him a look. Again ty for your support.
Old 18-05-2013, 15:56   #28

Wow, you seem to have some anger issues. Good luck with the search. There are some good suggestions above. Mine is to get out on as many as possible. You may find your priorities shift.
Old 18-05-2013, 16:24   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Manning View Post
TY ty ty...this is what Im talking about. Info on different, non mainstream builders that I can get some info on. Ive heard of Melvin and Morreli, they worked with GB in the past. Didnt know they were still custom building cats on their own though. Never heard of Daryl Newton, Ill give him a look. Again ty for your support.
For some reason I can't open Dazcat's website at present. His general designs have toward fast racing but not exclusively. However the Broadblue Rapier is a cruiser as well as his Dazcat open ocean 47 which he has not built as yet but is on his website. He works with Multimarine who seem to build many of his designs.

The Dazcat open Ocean 47 and Freeflow 46 are not dissimilar in design. The FF46 Keshi which I have watched being built and sailed is as big and roomier than many 50ft vessels. Because of the expense of building in Australia although the designer is working with well known builders internationally so essentially the fitouts are custom.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 20:57   #30
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Holy Cat's, what a frendly attitude you have with people trying to help you. I'd normally suggest a St. Francis 50 but am a little nervous about what your reaction will be.

Also, do you care to share any details on this cat that you where on that flipped. If it's very similar to a Privilege you would be the only person I've ever seen here on the CF who has been on a cruising cat that flipped. Was anyone injured? Where did it happen? Was the boat salvageable?