Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 22:10   #1

Features you wanted on you liveaboard cat?

My wife and I had a discussion tonight about features that we wanted on a liveaboard cat. (We are still 5+ years away from untying the lines) We have done 4 weeks aboard different boats while we have taken ASA classes and different trips.

What are some of the features you looked for when purchasing your catamaran? (Monos are not out of the running yet but we boat like the space on a cat over a mono)

Here is our quick list we came up with tonight. Most of these are really not about sailing the boat but living on it since that is how you spend most of your time on a sailboat. We did not get into rigging, sails, mini keel vs daggerboard, etc.

Watermaker (Almost a must have for any boat doing a crossing)

Icemaker (Can be a small counter top unit but my wife loves ice in her drinks)

Fridge/Freezer space

Galley Up (my wife does not like to be down in the hulls while under way unless she has to. I like the galley up design because cooking is socal for me.)

Bed/Berth that is easy to get in and out of. (Both my wife and I have knees issues so an part island berths are easier. I am still debating in my mind about the bridge deck beds like in a Lagoon 420, Gunboat 55s, and Balance 451, etc vs standard aft berth. We sailed 7 days on a Balance 451 which we really liked because no engine noise/heat/smells but can be hard to climb up into and out of while underway. Again more time is spent on the hook then underway with engine running so aft island berth may be best option.)

Head with room to clean self with separate shower. (I hate having to practice yoga just to wipe my ass in a small wet head)

Solar, Wind Gen and large battery bank (We want to live off the grid and don't want to run the generator or engine just to charge the batteries. We would also like to be able to run a cabin air con for those nights you just need a break from the heat and/or bugs without the need of running the genset. (This can be done with the right setup))

Electric winches (Having torn my bicep tendon off the bone while tacking a 44 ft cat up the Sir Francis Drake Channel with standard winches has shown me I like some assistance.)

Big enough helm seat for two with good weather protection

Good shade area

Underwater lights (option that can be added after purchase)

Lower sugar scoops with good steps

Good swim ladder with great hand holds

Shallow draft to get into different spots

Again this does not get into sailing performance or purchase price as much but that is also part of the discussion. Personally, I like a "faster" boat because my other hobbies involve cars so when I give that up I would enjoy a little speed fix on the boat side. We do have a budget so a Gunboat is out unless we win the Lotto in the next 5 years.
rleiferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 18:38   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Features you wanted on you liveaboard cat?

Welcome aboard.

We have been down the same road. We also made a list, but our priorities were different than reflected in your list. Nothing wrong with that, you are talking about YOUR boat. You will find lots of wisdom in this forum. Enjoy exploring.

After researching everything we could find, including talking with owners, we went to visit boats that were on our shortlist. Seeing first hand boats that looked great in photos and specs was very insightful. Our short list got very short very quickly.

Top of our list was a helm station that was fully integrated into the social space of the boat. Good visibility from the helm was also a key requirement.

Large enough to be ocean capable, while small enough to be proficiently operated within our physical capabilities even as we age.

Next comes simple systems. Things we can maintain and repair ourselves. Less is more.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:37   #3

Electric heads.

Hate those hand pump toilet things.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:39   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Solar hot water panels - absolutely great!
Old 03-04-2018, 14:53   #5

What are the uses for underwater lights? I am curious.
Aloys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 17:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloys View Post
What are the uses for underwater lights? I am curious.
My wifes masters in marine biology (Phd in biology) and she loves to hang out on the sugar scoops at night and look at the fish. We have been hanging an LED dive light off the swim ladder but something permit so it is just a flip of a switch would make her very happy.
rleiferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 17:48   #7

Boat: Outremer 55L

Forget the ice maker and use reusable ice cubes. No watering down your drink, wasting water and skip the extra machine. We’ve been using the plastic ones and they’re fine for one drink at a time. We used whiskey stones on another boat and those are awesome - and can be heated to use as hot cubes for your hot drinks.

Regarding underwater lights, great for watching fish, especially predators. We use a light on a rope, as who wants to spend thousands to put holes in your boat?

One feature we looked for but didn’t get with our boat is a well integrated BBQ/prep sink area in or near the cockpit - hanging a BBQ over the water is silly. We use a self-standing BBQ that fits on the side deck between the winches, so not too bad. It’s pleasant to BBQ without having to walk away from the social areas.

Party lighting in the cockpit is fun and provides a great target at night to easily find your boat amongst all the others, or to direct guests to your boat.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44   #8

Your list looks fine, and it is also what we think about for a live-aboard.

Icemaker? Yes!, and a good one. No countertop model for us. I love real ice in my Scotch. In my beer also, sometimes. I love real ice. Watermaker? Same. Get a good one. Air conditioning? Yup! Lots of fridge and freezer(!!) space? YUP! We plan to be in the tropics, far away from port. Anchored for weeks on end at private uninhabited atolls. The last thing I want to be short on is food, wine, booze, beer, water, ice, etc. Make it a home.

We'll also need 24/7 high-speed Internet access for the private business. And, just because we want it. Thus, out on those remote atolls, far away from humanity, that's going to be expensive!! (cha ching! $$$) C'est la vie! That's where good accountants shine.

Lights for the hull at night? Sounds very cool. It's a home. Enjoy it to your liking.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:27   #9

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

I just bought a Pontos 4 speed winch for my boat. Haven't got it yet, but if the advertising holds up, I'll have electric winch power without the electric motor.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:33   #10

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

**Must haves**
All lines to cockpit/helm
Good sight lines from the helm to all 4 corners of the boat
Engines with enough power to push the boat well against a 3 mph current
Unobstructed/ wide enough on the sides to go foward and back
Trampolines
Protected (or ability to make ) helm from sun and rain
No dagger boards

*** wants ***
Partial to full island berth
Seperate shower space
Installed generator,
Air con
Electric winches
Electric heads
Galley up
One level cockpit to salon

***Will install anyway regardless of boat***
Underwater lights
Freshwater heads
Watermaker
Solar
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:47   #11

A couple I can think of,:
-Enough depth under the windlass so the chain doesn't stack up and Jam the windlass. I dont know if any have this though. I would say maybe 2 ft or more.
-Davits for the dink. Cats are perfect for this.
-Transom wash down shower connected to the water heater. Very nice to have.
-As much bridge clearance as possible. I could push the dingy thru under mine with engine on.... barely.
-I had one bow as a work shop/storage in lieu of a berth. It was nice to have. a mounted vice and 16 drawers/compartments.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:15   #12

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

After 2 years of living aboard full time we finally installed a washing machine. My wife and I agree that we should have had it from the beginning. Our time spent doing laundry has gone from 10 hours a week to about 1.5 hours.

Ice machines and bread machines are the one list item that is usually thrown out first. Join any cruising group on Facebook and you will see Ice machines and breadmakes for sale all the time. They sound great in theory, but once you are out here you realize how silly they are.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:17   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Your list looks fine, and it is also what we think about for a live-aboard.

Icemaker? Yes!, and a good one. No countertop model for us. I love real ice in my Scotch. In my beer also, sometimes. I love real ice. Watermaker? Same. Get a good one. Air conditioning? Yup! Lots of fridge and freezer(!!) space? YUP! We plan to be in the tropics, far away from port. Anchored for weeks on end at private uninhabited atolls. The last thing I want to be short on is food, wine, booze, beer, water, ice, etc. Make it a home.

We'll also need 24/7 high-speed Internet access for the private business. And, just because we want it. Thus, out on those remote atolls, far away from humanity, that's going to be expensive!! (cha ching! $$$) C'est la vie! That's where good accountants shine.

Lights for the hull at night? Sounds very cool. It's a home. Enjoy it to your liking.
many, if not most folks with all these gadgets onboard never make it. There is always something that keeps them in / near port.

Don't underestimte the conecpt of KISS
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
many, if not most folks with all these gadgets onboard never make it. There is always something that keeps them in / near port.

Don't underestimte the conecpt of KISS
Make it where? And why not? KISS is a nice '70s band, yet I prefer to be comfortable. Plus, were not stupid. Does it cost? Yup! Like all good things in life. If I want to go camping, I'll buy a tent and a backpack.

Oh! ... and someone above mentioned a washing machine. Agreed! Davits? Yup!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 16:22   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Make it where? And why not? KISS is a nice '70s band, yet I prefer to be comfortable. Plus, were not stupid. Does it cost? Yup! Like all good things in life. If I want to go camping, I'll buy a tent and a backpack.

Oh! ... and someone above mentioned a washing machine. Agreed! Davits? Yup!

The more gadgets on the boat the more gadgets that break. In the end some get sick of chasing parts and making repairs to things they think are essential to make their cruising enjoyable, and end up selling the dream.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, wanted