Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 12:01   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Fastnet Race

The capsized boat was the 100' supermaxi, Rambler. Apparently, it's 18-ton keel sheered off.

21 plucked from sea off Fastnet
Old 17-08-2011, 12:14   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Looks like the Irish CG, the local RNLI lifeboats and the Irish Air Sea Rescue choppers had a busy day. The female crewmember is on the critical list at Cork Hospital I beleive.

Mind you the rescue services on the south west coast of Ireland must be getting used to this by now.

Dave
Old 17-08-2011, 13:19   #18

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The capsized boat was the 100' supermaxi, Rambler. Apparently, it's 18-ton keel sheered off.

Nee "Speedboat". Yes, apparently the solid steel keel beam failed near the root. There is a lot of speculation on why. In the context of a cruising multihull list I think the aftermath of the capsize is directly relevant. I started a list of concerns above. I also notice that the crew that stayed with the boat rigged a lifeline and were able to find some security on the upturned hull.

Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 13:47   #19

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:

Is it just me or are these things just glorified Lasers on Steroids?
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 14:06   #20

"Is it just me or are these things just glorified Lasers on Steroids? "

Yes, it is just you Perchance. These machine are highly engineered yachts to the extreme, which are also very carefully and well maintained at enormous costs. Just for the Fastnet race, the cost of preparation would buy you a nice cruising yacht.

The keel is held by two special bolts and from the 283 parts that need checking/recplacing for every race, this one was overseen, with this accident as a cause.

But these boats are not sherry sailors where the rich owner just shows off a bit. These yachts race all over the world and this one in particular, breaks record after record. This yacht sails approx 20.000 NM per year, so in it´s 5 years of age has sailed something like 100.000 NM already. A lot, lot more than 99% of the sailors here will ever do. There is a lot that can go wrong, also by the sheer speed and power these machines create.

So yes, sometimes something goes wrong.

I am involved in the TP52 circuit and the extreme engineering and eternal search for more speed, more performance and weight reduction is mind boggling. So are their budgets. This Rambles 100 is a lot more extreme than the TP52´s.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 14:37   #21
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Is it just me or are these things just glorified Lasers on Steroids?
think of it as a Laser that costs 7m euros and sets the multihull record in just about every race in enters.

some onboard footage that's worth checking out if you've never been firehosed
Old 17-08-2011, 14:56   #22

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmwebb View Post
Nee "Speedboat". Yes, apparently the solid steel keel beam failed near the root. There is a lot of speculation on why. In the context of a cruising multihull list I think the aftermath of the capsize is directly relevant. I started a list of concerns above. I also notice that the crew that stayed with the boat rigged a lifeline and were able to find some security on the upturned hull.

Tom.
Do you suppose it's a steel alloy or cast iron? From the photo, it appears to be snapped off cast iron which, of course, is brittle. Will be interesting to follow this to see what caused the failure. Too bad. That's one awesome machine. Glad no one was killed.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 16:14   #23

Quote:
think of it as a Laser that costs 7m euros and sets the multihull record in just about every race in enters.
Multihull records? Are you sure about that? I can't think of a single multihull record that they have broken. IIRC, Rambler/Speedboat has had more than its fair share of teething problems. I think there have been many more races entered than records broken. Certainly they were a loooooong way behind the multi record in the Fasnet and had no chance of taking it even if they hadn't capsized.

Tom.
Old 17-08-2011, 16:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Do you suppose it's a steel alloy or cast iron? From the photo, it appears to be snapped off cast iron which, of course, is brittle. Will be interesting to follow this to see what caused the failure. Too bad. That's one awesome machine. Glad no one was killed.
Above my pay grade to even speculate. I have heard that it was milled from a "steel" billet. The gain may be a digital photo artifact.

IMO, more than a minor miracle that no one was lost. I hope that they figure out what went wrong with the keel and publish the findings publicly.

Tom.
Old 17-08-2011, 17:15   #25

Amazing interview. Lots to think about. Very highly recommended:

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/sw/4...cast110816.mp3

Tom.
Old 17-08-2011, 17:33   #26
CF Adviser

Quote:
Multihull records? Are you sure about that? I can't think of a single multihull record that they have broken. IIRC, Rambler/Speedboat has had more than its fair share of teething problems. I think there have been many more races entered than records broken. Certainly they were a loooooong way behind the multi record in the Fasnet and had no chance of taking it even if they hadn't capsized. .
Whoops. Monohull. The brain was saying one thing while the fingers typed something else.

This summer they've broken records for the Block Island Race, and the Transatlantic (Newport to The Lizard).
Old 17-08-2011, 17:46   #27

Quote:
Whoops. Monohull. The brain was saying one thing while the fingers typed something else.

This summer they've broken records for the Block Island Race, and the Transatlantic (Newport to The Lizard).
Aha, that makes sense. Should have figured you meant monohull. And they likely would have had the Fastnet mono record* too. Sad that just as they were getting the boat to sail to its potential it fell apart. Their real competition would have been the likes of Wild Oats XI rather than the multis.

Tom.

*powered canting keel and powered deck mono record, of course.
Old 17-08-2011, 17:51   #28

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Interesting thought there-" just as they were getting the boat to sail to its potential, it fell apart". I know what you meen, but some might say it was just taken beyond its potential .
Old 17-08-2011, 17:54   #29
CF Adviser

Quote:
Aha, that makes sense. Should have figured you meant monohull. And they likely would have had the Fastnet mono record* too. Sad that just as they were getting the boat to sail to its potential it fell apart. Their real competition would have been the likes of Wild Oats XI rather than the multis.

Tom.

*powered canting keel and powered deck mono record, of course.
This boat was built to break records. It's predecessor (same name, same owner) was a 90-footer that wouldn't do that. So they built this one 20 feet longer and 10 tons lighter than Boomerang, with a mast 30 feet higher.

Of course, tomorrow we'll all be saying that they should have put a few more bolts into the keel. Eh?
Old 17-08-2011, 19:25   #30

Quote:
This boat was built to break records. It's predecessor (same name, same owner) was a 90-footer that wouldn't do that. So they built this one 20 feet longer and 10 tons lighter than Boomerang, with a mast 30 feet higher.

Of course, tomorrow we'll all be saying that they should have put a few more bolts into the keel. Eh?
FWIW, the bolts were not the issue in this case.

I have not really been following so am probably confused (been out cruising on the other side of the world) but isn't this boat fundamentally the same one (give or take a nose job etc) that had a string of quite ordinary results starting several years ago as Speedboat, Virgin ... Rambler?

Anyway, probably drifting pretty far OT for this forum for which I apologize. Still I am very interested in hearing folks thoughts about the post capsize lessons.

Tom.

Tags
race