Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 20:38   #136

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Since my comments usually involve technical details concerning yacht design or construction, those not interested can put me on their 'ignore' list. Many people are interested in these details, however, judging by the number of people who post questions or comments concerning technical issues.
I do put you on my "ignore" list but it makes it difficult when you post so frequently in every interesting thread. It's not necessarily what you say but the tone and attitude in which you say it.

Maybe you should read "The Secret" to learn about being more positive.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 21:04   #137
jzk

Then you can just hope that your cat will sail fast, and it will be so!
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 21:59   #138

Boat: In the market
Dale Carnegie

Hey big cat, the question of this thread is how fast have you gone on your cat. You have posted 9 times and not mentioned how fast you have gone on YOUR cat. I wonder why. Have you ever actually owned a cat?

As far as my pommy cousins comments about Americans, my family left england voluntarily. Remember they are only words.
Old 05-08-2008, 22:51   #139
cruiser

England should be capitalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
Hey big cat, the question of this thread is how fast have you gone on your cat. You have posted 9 times and not mentioned how fast you have gone on YOUR cat. I wonder why. Have you ever actually owned a cat?

As far as my pommy cousins comments about Americans, my family left england voluntarily. Remember they are only words.
Nope, I'm building it now. My history is on monohulls, including a Pacific crossing. I have been a passenger on big catamarans, and I've sailed beach cats. If you aren't interested in naval architecture or boat building, you might want to put me on your 'ignore' list.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 22:57   #140
cruiser

Boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRhapCity View Post
I do put you on my "ignore" list but it makes it difficult when you post so frequently in every interesting thread. It's not necessarily what you say but the tone and attitude in which you say it.

Maybe you should read "The Secret" to learn about being more positive.
I'm afraid the secret will have to remain a secret as far as I am concerned. "To get along, go along," has never been my motto. Frankly, people who follow that motto bore me to tears, and they never seem to have any original ideas.
Old 06-08-2008, 00:38   #141

Interesting?

I enjoy your considered and informative posts Big Cat. Continue with the free thinking.
Old 06-08-2008, 00:52   #142

Boat: In the market
>About me: I am 56 years old, have a bachelor's degree and a master's >degree in psychology,

Well that sure explains a lot.

------------------------------------------------------------

> I enjoy your considered and informative posts Big Cat.

Talk about sycophant!
Old 06-08-2008, 00:53   #143
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I'm afraid the secret will have to remain a secret as far as I am concerned. "To get along, go along," has never been my motto. Frankly, people who follow that motto bore me to tears, and they never seem to have any original ideas.
Thinking out of the box is my first nature, I do not attack or judge others with different idea,s
but I will always be civilized and correct in my answers or commends , others should do the same, It has to do with decency and it will create more answers to our questions instead of mud slinging.
Greetings and good luck with the Building of your out of the box design.
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:21   #144

Boat: 45ft Leopard cat
Out of control guys! The thread is well and truly lost, and it was interesting until you armchair theorists turned it into a "Look at me! Look at me" circus. All that online testosterone puts people off sharing their own views and experiences. This is a great website, and it deserves better.

Big Macca
Big Macca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:15   #145

Good lord, if you don't want technical content don't read it. Keep up the informative posts Big Cat, Gideon, and Catty.

BTW; we've averaged 18, the previous owners managed 25. So what? We provision for a 7.5 average. Its a mono.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 04:29   #146
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It looks like to me that the last three pages or so of posts in this thread have been generally off-topic, and several of the posters are letting their personal animosities show. This can happen when there's no more of substance to be said on the original topic.

If you want to keep this thread from being locked, please keep your posts on-topic and respectful of the other posters.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:53   #147

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Chartered an Island Spirit 401 last December in the BVI. We could easily cruise at 9 knots on a beam reach. We maxed out at 11 knots. We had 20-25 knot winds all week with a tropical storm that produced up to 45 knot gusts (we were hanging on a mooring).
Didn't know if that was fast or not. I'm tending now to think that was pretty fast.

There's my ignorant and uneducated bit to add to this thread... and I agree... Big Cat-take a chill pill yo!!!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:17   #148
cruiser

I think we should distinguish between fastest speed surfing down a wave, versus fastest continuous speed for a period longer than it takes to reach the bottom of the wave. I have regularly attained 13 knots surfing down big (25') waves on a 35' loa fin keel monohull sloop, an Erickson 35, which otherwise never quite managed 7 knots. I don't see much point in claims of momentary speeds. The fastest speeds averaged over a span of 8 hours might be of interest to coastal cruisers, and fastest 24 hours might be of interest to long distance voyagers. These speeds should be corrected for the currents typical of the stretch measured. In the trades, downwind ocean passages generally have 1/2 knot currents setting in the direction of the trade wind.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:11   #149
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
How fast is the fastest you have sailed with your cruisingcatamaran?

Brand, Model, wind, speed?

That was the question. Plain, and simple, and that's how I answered it. Freetime only asked for top speed, and model.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:42   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
That was the question. Plain, and simple, and that's how I answered it. Freetime only asked for top speed, and model.
It´s because i like the big interiors in f-p, lagoon etc and want to know how much more fun i will have in a outremer or simular. And offcause the average speed for a longer cruise is more important. But as you understund the speed vs interior size. And i understand that a longer hull is faster than a shorter... The question is a way for me to find out what catamaran i really would like to buy.
The nr.1 catamaran for me is a outremer 42 or 45 right now. But i don´t know if i like her in reality...have only seen her on pics. I don´t know if the interior is TO small for me.

Last couple of days i was out in the archipelago of stockholm in RAIN, with a friend in a Bruce Roberts 65 in windspeed around 30-35knots average... Sailing 7,5knots with only a jib with 36 ton of monohull... And that was very fun. So 7,5 knots can also be fun! In days like these a Antares 44 should fit me best...
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising