Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-08-2015, 23:54   #61

Boat: Westerly Seahawk 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/52609 Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Very interesting, thanks for the link!
So these beasts do exist in the price range mentioned. The one in the ad seems to require some work but it does inded sound like an interesting proposition, and its current location (Philippines) isn't even all that far from my (current) neck of the woods. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge yet, though...
I think the trimaran concept becomes interesting from the size range upwards where a solid deck is common and the amas become usable spaces for accommodation.

Old 27-08-2015, 09:29   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee Luders 36
Re: Fast, Comfortable and Cheap.

Drives me nuts when people don't post more pic's...

Old 27-08-2015, 09:58   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ah, you're not criticizing the comfort, just saying that it's been sacrificed....

I understand the principal quite well. It's a fast boat, it's a comfortable boat, and it was comparatively very cheap.
No I'm not criticizing the comfort. You still don't get it. Just because you sacrafice one aspect to make another aspect better doesn't mean the sacraficed aspect has to be taken to extremes.

Sleeping on the ground is uncomfortable.
A foam pad laid on the ground is more comfortable.
A $300-400 bed with box springs is even more comfortable.
A top of the line $5000 matress custom fit to your firmness preferences is even more comfortable.

Nothing wrong with a standard bed but it's defiently a sacrafice compared to the top of the line.

Same situation with this boat. They sacraficed top of the line comfort for top of the line speed. That doesn't make it uncomfortable but is still a comfort sacrafice.

Still verfy clear you don't understand the principal.
Old 27-08-2015, 14:38   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So if I'd said it's the fastest, the most comfortable and the cheapest boat on Earth, I'd have been wrong.

But I didn't say that. I said this boat does a very good job at all 3. And it does.

Just curious, since you seem to know so much about how uncomfortable Fantasia is. Have you been aboard?

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 15:21   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
No, this particular topic has been done to death on this very forum if you want to cheek.

From race/rally results such as the ARC waterline length is the predominant precursor for passage speeds.

Lots of data out there now.
Agreed. But keeping all else equal , or broadly similar, a lighter boat will be faster, particularly for catamarans. I bet a Schionning Waterline 1350 in cruise trim would smash an Antares 45 in any trim. If you loaded the Waterline to the same displacement as the Antares the result would be much closer. Similarly if you stripped back the Antares to match the other, closer result.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-08-2015, 15:39   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So if I'd said it's the fastest, the most comfortable and the cheapest boat on Earth, I'd have been wrong.
So suddenly you are agreeing they didn't get all three and they made sacrafices in some areas to get benefits in others...which is the original premise you claimed they beat.
Old 27-08-2015, 15:48   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
So suddenly you are agreeing they didn't get all three and they made sacrafices in some areas to get benefits in others...which is the original premise you claimed they beat.
Ah yes, the age-old internet debating tactic, when you know you're wrong. Misquote the other party!

No, all I said was, this boat does a very good job in all three areas. It's fast, it's comfortable, and (relatively) cheap.

And I'll ask you again, since you seem to know so much about how uncomfortable Fantasia is, have you been aboard?

John McEnroe
Old 27-08-2015, 16:14   #68

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Am I following this thread correctly?

300k is cheap?

Man I'm really out of touch with some of you guys or rather I should say you are really out of touch with the rest of the world.

300k is not cheap!

With 300k I could buy a bigger boat ready to go and still have over 100k for my cruising 'kitty'. Or I could just keep the boat I have quit my job and say sayonara to all the city dirt dwelling BS that has to get done just pay bills and get out for a sail on the weekend.
Old 27-08-2015, 16:33   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

$300 k for a 30 year old 30 foot ferrocement mono isn't cheap. For a new 50 foot catamaran it is.

Of course it's a matter of perspective. Compared to Banque Populaire, Fantasia isn't fast. Compared to Hemisphere, Fantasia isn't comfortable.

John McEnroe
Old 27-08-2015, 16:58   #70

Boat: Egan 12.40 in build, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
Am I following this thread correctly?

300k is cheap?

Man I'm really out of touch with some of you guys or rather I should say you are really out of touch with the rest of the world.

300k is not cheap!

With 300k I could buy a bigger boat ready to go and still have over 100k for my cruising 'kitty'. Or I could just keep the boat I have quit my job and say sayonara to all the city dirt dwelling BS that has to get done just pay bills and get out for a sail on the weekend.
Cheap is a matter of perspective. The city I live in is expensive... like one Million or so for a fibro(asbestos sheet) house in a river front suburb, the streets & house around the waters edge ramp up by significant factors. My 10K Seawind 24 is moored for around $250 a year in front of a $12M house, now that is cheap.... a 300K 50' cat in the same spot would be cheap too, but I don't have a stray 300K so that might be expensive.......

Jeff.
Old 28-08-2015, 02:11   #71

Interesting perspective, at first glance I would say 300k is expensive but it is less than half the price of a very ordinary house in my area. But then houses (in Australia) appreciate, boats don't !

Tags
cheap

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: