Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 01:14   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Farrier F9 Suitable for QLD North Coast and Asia ?

I'm looking at a busted old F9 trailerable tri. I thought I could fix it up and go cruising closer to home and island hop my way to asia. That should keep my sailing fix for a few years until I can get a larger boat for real ocean crossings. It will fit at my place so I can work on it at my leisure.

FARRIER F-9A boat details - BoatPoint Australia

Or is something this crusty looking going to cost me the same amount of money as a decent ready to go? I don't mind working on something like this providing its financially sound. I would do almost all the work myself. This has been for sale forever. The cabin top has rotten off. I'm scared or wood rot.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I wont comment on the particular boat - but as a breed - absolutely good for the coast etc. Guy I know had one, towed it from Brisbane to Darwin and then raced to indo and cruised the indo area. Obviously they arent big but gee they sail well, the key challenge is managing water aetc, but thats not a problem along the queensland coast.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
DIY Farrier F-32AX

It looks to be a fair bit of money for an old boat that may require some work.

Have you considered building from plans? I had a quick look at the Farrier Marine, inc. and they looks to have a nice selection of plans, they're writing about one year build times (might be an idea to allow much, much more) and many of the critical parts are available ready made.

You'd end up with a brand new boat and it might not cost a huge amount more or take a lot more time than buying an old boat and fixing it up.

I'd suggest the F-32AX. Looks to be a newer design oriented towards cruising.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:50   #4
cruiser

Thanks for the comments guys. The main thing I wanted to know was if its going to be OK for the sort of sailing I want.

I have seen few wooden F9s going for around 120K and were sold. Who knows the sale price though. There is also one for sale for $89K right now. I was hoping to get it for more like 20K as its been for sale for ever. I would budget and extra 20 to get it going again. It looks like most of the stuff is there. Just no cabin top. As long as its not rotted out I guess I could have it sailing again for about 5K, but it would be rough. I would want to get it looking good.

According to the farrier site a F32 would cost about $120K to build and I have no where to build one. People complain when you build boats, and a massive shed would be needed. Fixing up a boat will be challenge enough with authorities in suburbia. I guess considering it would take about 4 years part time to build one from scratch I might be able to afford it. But thats too long. I want to go sailing.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
A good used F9a is circa $120K a good f9ax is $150 a good C31 is between 110K and up to 170 for a very late model Ultimate cruiser.

Ball park in my experience.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:47   #6

Hallo Dennisail,

To answer your question, Turn around walk away. Get an F9, but not that one.

I own an F9AX, built it myself, took 4 and a bit years. Fantastic boat, Ian Farrier is a good person to work with and I have absolute faith in the boat's structural intergrity and seaworthiness.

Having built a boat as complex as the F9 (my first serious build project) I now believe there is no such thing as an unrepairable fibreglass boat. It all depends how brave you are with an angle grinder!

But, and this is a big but. The farrier boat folding systems are dependant on PERFECT alighnment etc of the beams, the folding mechanisms and the beam pads where the beams press onto the hull. The boat you are looking at looks like those areas have been compromised.
Further, with the cabin top gone and also the aft-cabin top gone you have some additional concerns. The deck and cabin top on these boats are not just lids to keep water out. Every bit of material on a Farrier plays some roll in keeping those beams etc doing their work. Looking at the pictures the entire boats intergrity seems to be compromised. There is just no other way to do it but the Ian Farrier specified way.

If you are really keen and can get the boat for just about nothing, I would suggest that you ask around for a person near you who has actually built a Farrier to go with you and assess the job. You will also need to get an old set of plans to get the patterns for some form frames for the deck and cabin top, the layups and cloth orientation etc.

I see you live in Australia? There should be lots of former F builders around. At the same time, there should also be lots of better F boats for sale at good prices.

Having said all this, maybe aim for a solid, oldish F9. The AX's extra few mm's of beam in the main hull is great. Keep looking, it is a fantastic boat. I love mine and will not even consider selling it.

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 13:47   #7
cruiser

Thanks for your input.

Are your concerns about this particular farrier due to miss alignment of the folding system caused by a loss in rigidity of the main hull? I know farriers are built split down the middle not horizontally. I thought of this but I wouldn't think the problem would be unsurmountable with a some clever engineering and a lot of extra glass in the area?

What are are you from? Anyone in Sydney willing to help me take a look at it?

There area no Fboats for sale for cheap prices here. As mentioned a good F9 is 120K. An older example of wood needed a little cosmetic freshen up worth $90K.
Old 02-06-2010, 14:44   #8

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
My brother-in-law, Tony, was looking to buy that particular boat, but got scared off by (a) the fact that most of the cabin seems to have been cut off with a chainsaw, and (b) the broker was rather evasive and Tony had trouble getting straight answers on any of his various questions.

Given the hatchet-job done on the cabin, there will be a significant project just to get the boat to a usable stage. Tony is a carpenter / shipwright, and ho could have got the job done, but it is certainly a major task.

Having said that, if you are handy on the tools and don't mind the thought of a major reno job, it is a very cheap price for an F9, and you could (assuming the boat is, in general, sound) end up with a lot of boat for a smallish initial outlay, but you do need to realise what you are getting yourself into

Please note that all of the above goes to that particular boat. I offer no comment on the suitability of that design as a live-aboard, ocean-going, island hopper. The abovementioned brother-in-law currently has a slightly smaller farrier tri (maybe a 7?) and he and his partner seem to be able to cope with living on that for a week at a time, here and there.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 23:05   #9
cruiser

Thanks Weylan. I sent him this email.

I am interested in the Farrier F9 with a missing cabin top. I am from Brisbane so I would like to ask quite a few questions as I want to avoid an interstate trip if I can tell the boat wont be suitable by asking these questions first. I elected to ask these in email as there are probably too many to ask over the phone and you may need to ask the owner to find out the answers to some of them. Please try to answer all my questions If possible via email.

Who built the boat and when?

What is the sail number and is it a legitimate Farrier approved build number?

I assume the cabin was removed due to rot. Is there ANY other rot or delimitation on any other part of the boat? Has fresh water been allowed in to the vaka or amas?

Can the amas be inspected inside are there inspection hatches in amas?

Is the removed cabin with the boat?

Are plans available to rebuild it?

What type wood is the boat made out of?

Is the sheathing epoxy and has it been glassed inside and out?

Has there been any impact damage, are there many cracks in the glass?

How is the condition of the trailer and brakes, will it need repairs before an interstate trip?

What sort of winch does it have?

What is the weight of boat and trailer so can select a tow vehicle?

Is the rudder OK and how does it attach, can it be beached?

Does it have a centreboard or dagger?

Does it have boom furler?

Does the engine work?

Does it have complete deck hardware such as sail winches travellers, blocks cleats etc?

Is the standing and running rigging complete, is the boom OK?

Is this the aft cockpit version?

Is there any interior hardware like sinks showers, head, stove, cushions, tanks?

Does it have/did it have railing and stanchions?

Does it have/did it have tramps including forward tramps?

Does it have/ did it have a bowsprit and screecher?

Does it have an anchor winch, anchor well, sampson post and bow roller?

Sorry for all the questions but I would need these answered before I would make an interstate trip to view the boat. Better pictures would also be great.

Regards Dennis.
Old 02-06-2010, 23:55   #10
cruiser

Also if Tony is a shipwright, wouldn't he have been able to inspect himself and not worry about what the broker has to say? I wonder what questions in particular he could not find answers to?
Old 03-06-2010, 09:59   #11

Hi Dennisail,

I've looked at the pictures again, and taken note of your questions and others' posts above.
I am a "can do" person, but:

1. the shroud bulkheads on the stb side looks suspect. Looks like a piece have been hacked out. Can be repaired, probably by removing all that is left first, but you will need to follow the designers original build spec. from there onwards.

2. if the reason for the deck being gone is due to a rotting core, I would be believe the rest of the hull will also be suspect.
The new deck should be done in foam core, but you will need the form patterns and the designers original layup specs. Big job, and sorting out the cabin furniture and the cockpit furniture.

3. the main bulkhead has been removed from the cockpit sole upwards. Can be rebuilt, but by now I would have doubts as to how well the centre hull is still alligned. Even building from scratch, it is very important, and quite a task to allign everything. But in the build stage there are a few allignment spots on the plans to assist you. It is a milimeter job, or the boat will be hard to fold. Farrier warns the builder about it.

4. the keelson of the one float looks like a dog got hold of it. Can be repaired, but by now the list is getting long.

5. the one pic shows what looks like damage around the waterline of the centre hull. Bad scuff marks, rocks maybe? I would be concerned about that and water ingress into the core. Can be fixed but could be a huge job to sort out the core.

6. there is a blue patch next to the starboard aft beam's attachment to the float. The beam has brobably come lose and the patch is to keep rainwater out? Difficult repair job, but can be done.

7. same picture. look at that float's aft sections. That took a serious beating somewhere. Easy repair.

8. looking at the pic of the folding mechanism, the folding struts attachments onto the beams looks highly suspect. That has to be perfect. And it CANNOT be fixed. Farrier warns about that all the time.

The different repair jobs (appart from the deck) can all be overcome if viewed individualy, but combining them all into a re-build is too much. Time and money and expertise.

And taking them as a whole tells me that something big has happened to the boat. Bad accident happened first, and then the neglect set in and the guy came with the hacksaw?

Quite simply, the boat looks @#$%$#@. It should be shot and put out of its missery.

For the time and effort and cost, look at building a very basic F22 perhaps? Should be the same.

Kindest regards,

Banjo
Old 03-06-2010, 14:48   #12

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Also if Tony is a shipwright, wouldn't he have been able to inspect himself and not worry about what the broker has to say? I wonder what questions in particular he could not find answers to?
For the record, Tony is a busy builder in Tasmania. A trip to the mainland is both expensive and relatively time-consuming, so is only worth doing if you are reasonably confident that the boat is going to be worth the trip...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 16:12   #13
cruiser

Thanks Weyalan. PM sent.

Banjo. I guess this is why the broker is hesitant to answer any questions. As the answers to them all are bad. Its a shame. I would love a project boat like this. But not if its basically write off. You think its still a waste of time any money even for the most determined and hard working buyer? The thing that would put me off is major delam and water ingression/rot to the core. I'm not interested in repairing something like that. Bulkheads wont be too bad. If the beams are write offs then I am not interested either. The price of this thing is falling, and one day it will be worth what the owner is willing to take.
Old 03-06-2010, 22:26   #14

Morning Dennisail,
Yep, allways worth looking!
As said, a brave guy with an anglegrinder......................

My opinion;
To rebuild, remove the floats and crossbeams.
Then get the main hull into a shed or garage. You cannot make progress working outside. The rebuild must take place at your home, unless you are treating it as a full-time job and want to commute to work on it.

Happy hunting.

Regards,
Banjo.
Old 03-06-2010, 23:07   #15
cruiser

Thanks for the replies Banjo. As for being worth a look. That is what I have to figure out first as it is 1000km from me Would be great if it was local.

I would remove the floats and crossbeams in any case. That way I can work on them easier and transport them individually to a mates shop to be painted after repairing and prepping them at home. I don't have a shed at home that would fit the vaka, but I would build a temporary framed and tarped over enclosed for shelter from rain and sun.

Tags
Asia