Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 07:07   #16

I had an F27 for a few years, it is a great boat for short trips. Sail handling is easy and the ability to anchor in inches of water is great. Stepping the mast is truly a one man operation, something rare in that size of trailer able boats. I would plan on 10 knots when doing a passage. My longest trip was Tampa to Havana and back. Living on board is a challenge, no ac or other comforts. In the Great Lakes it was ok, down South we would often get a room. I do miss the sailing ability but I now have a traditional mono with great living space. They do hold their value well so you won't be out much to try it.

Good luck
Soiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 10:50   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
Really hoping to get in at about 20k or so, but need something we can sail up and down the ICW and then later cross the Gulf Stream and eventually begin sailing the Caribbean.
With that budget, you will be looking for a mono. Forget the cat or tri.
Old 29-12-2010, 16:00   #18

You should look at the older designs if you want some payload or living space in that size boat, searunners, horstmans , cross.By the time you load the f-27 down for a long trip, or live on it for awhile it will be no faster than the others. rick
rberrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:12   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Are you thinking about living aboard and cruising full time? If so, why would trailering be important? Even if you kept a car, you'd most likely never be very close to to the vehicle nor the trailer.
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:44   #20

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
Looks like the f-27 might just be too small. I didn't realize how low on holding tanks, etc. it was.

We're not attached to any particular style cat, tri, or mono. Like the idea of a multihull providing more room above deck to relax while at anchor, and a little better learning curve from a stability stand point, but its not essential.

I really like the idea of trailer-able...BUT seems most are too small to be cruising liveaboard friendly.

Guess I'll go back to the drawing board. Thanks for the help.

Really hoping to get in at about 20k or so, but need something we can sail up and down the ICW and then later cross the Gulf Stream and eventually begin sailing the Caribbean.
Think monohull -- that's your only logical choice within your budget. Figure $10-15k to buy it and another $5-10k to refit and remediate. If you can find a boat that someone has already outfitted for cruising you will save a bundle on outfitting and focus on making sure critical things are operational and on replacing wear items.

One more thing -- So far as I know there is no trailerable boat that is offshore-ready and suitable to take live-aboard cruising to the Caribbean. Trailer-sailer boats are by definition designed for the coastal and lake sailing market.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 16:50   #21

Not a lot of extras on this one, but it looks like a nice clean classic and in budget. And it will certainly do what you have in mind.

1981 Cape Dory Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 29-12-2010, 16:57   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

This will give you some idea on the interior set up
Farrier F27 trimaran for sale

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:29   #23

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
we live on a f31. got friends that live on a f27. can be done. biggest issue we find is lack of interior socializing space. if the weather is nice, all is good since you have the huge outside area to hang out in.

boom tent, bimini make a huge difference.

old post I did on the boat here : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rans-7812.html

dated, and I need to update, but it gives you some ideas.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:41   #24

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
we live on a f31. snip.
You've got the budget for a roomier boat that can accommodate a better style of living, even if you need to sell yours. Why would you choose to live aboard that particular boat?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
we live on a f31. got friends that live on a f27. can be done. biggest issue we find is lack of interior socializing space. if the weather is nice, all is good since you have the huge outside area to hang out in.

boom tent, bimini make a huge difference.

old post I did on the boat here : http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rans-7812.html

dated, and I need to update, but it gives you some ideas.
Just wondering shipofools, how do you deal with the small amount of water that they carry? Tankage always seemed to be a big minus to me; otherwise, I think they would be great cruisers.
Old 01-01-2011, 19:22   #26

thats great shipoffools, i like the other post. how do handle water issues? are you at a marina often living aboard, or cruising and anchoring
SouthernHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 19:28   #27

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
My F-31 carries 17 ga of water. Also a 17ga holding tank that was never used so now is cleaned and additional water stowage. 6ft 2inch head room, galley, enclosed head, enough storage for spartan livaboard. Great boat, minimum draft is 16inches and will sail in 3 1/2 ft so much cruising ground opens up. Needs about 20knts of wind to water ski though. Older ones, like mine, run around$75K. 27's in any kind of decent shape will be half that but no standing headroom but still out of your range. Good luck. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 20:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOnCudjoe View Post
My F-31 carries 17 ga of water. Also a 17ga holding tank that was never used so now is cleaned and additional water stowage. 6ft 2inch head room, galley, enclosed head, enough storage for spartan livaboard. Great boat, minimum draft is 16inches and will sail in 3 1/2 ft so much cruising ground opens up. Needs about 20knts of wind to water ski though. Older ones, like mine, run around$75K. 27's in any kind of decent shape will be half that but no standing headroom but still out of your range. Good luck. Dave
I'm afraid to ask ... what do you do about not having a holding tank? Legally, that is.
Old 01-01-2011, 22:15   #29

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
Doodles,
Hi capacity porta poti. Is not but can be plumbed to the existing deck fitting. No through hull for intake water or pump out. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 12:52   #30

I just posted my F-27 (currently on page 2) that I have owned since 1998. I am selling her because the wife wants to slow things down for her and the two little ones we adopted a year ago. I have always been anal about my girl hauling and covering her every winter. I live in Kansas and this is my second Trmarani I have owned with a Firefly 26 being my first. The reason I purchased this boat is because of it's performance and having experience as a crew on my friends F-27 which sold me on this design. She's fast, agile, safe, highly trailerable and easy to setup by one person. I love not having to depend on a bunch of people to help me get her ready to take down, put up or to launch. I have a Website linked to my post where you can see the details and up to date pic's. She has every options that you could ever get and lot's of recent upgrades. Look at my post and let me know what you think.
Captain Jim
anadale1 is offline   Reply With Quote