Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33   #31

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: (Extremely) low Budget Cataraman for Singelhanded Crusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimaranfanatic View Post
Get a Farrier f 27. Small but incredibly strong. Many have made it across big water. I have an F 33 which is considerably more pricey. I would take it in any ocean (if I could stay warm enough.)

Have sailed a lot of ocean miles on bigger boats--large monos, medium cats, small monos, and now after thirty or so years Im a big fan of small, cheap, quick, light, and fast.

Some guy even took an F 28 through the northwest passage, I believe. The name Borje Oslund (sp?) norwegian adventurer.

F 27 fits the bill.
You did see the OPs budget, right? and he's in Germany, your not buying an F27 for 20k. I can think of a lot of boats that would be suitable but if they don't fit the budget its not worth mentioning them.
We had a guy from California roll into town a few years back with an F31 about this time of year and launched it up at Two harbors because the Duluth harbor was still iced up, he sailed out through the lakes and attempted the NW passage, he got part way and had to leave it until the next season. Not sure he ever did get through but that was maybe as much as ten years ago, its getting better each year I guess. Then again a Hobie 18 has been through so.......
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:41   #32

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Unfortunately, it seems like fewer one offs by amateurs are well constructed. Most seem to be in the dreamer category and a hell of a waste of money.
You had commented on the Pivers. I also had a SR31 I didn't like her pointing ability compared to the Piver although I cannot say she was unseaworthy. The Piver made me like tris.
I'm not so sure, I think less folks are building today but those that do often know a lot more with the benefit if the internet and are building better boats than a lot of production ones although I have seen some monstrosities for sure. I work on boats for a living and I have met amateurs that pay a lot more attention sealing holes etc than many, actually most of the boats from all the usual suspects that we work we get to repair.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:29   #33

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

What if you got one of those catamarans with only one hull ???? That would certainly be within your budget.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:22   #34

Boat: one off 46 foot trimaran

"You did see the OPs budget, right? and he's in Germany, your not buying an F27 for 20k. I can think of a lot of boats that would be suitable but if they don't fit the budget its not worth mentioning them."

Maybe not in Germany, but a friend of mine just bought one under 20k in Hawaii (a year ago)
trimaranfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:45   #35

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimaranfanatic View Post
"You did see the OPs budget, right? and he's in Germany, your not buying an F27 for 20k. I can think of a lot of boats that would be suitable but if they don't fit the budget its not worth mentioning them."

Maybe not in Germany, but a friend of mine just bought one under 20k in Hawaii (a year ago)
I doubt for 20K he will find much in a multihull. Maybe a glassed plywood tri. Nothing wrong with them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:53   #36

Boat: Leopard 39

A mono would be much more doable, given your budgetary restraints.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:59   #37

Ahoi,

have you checked out Wharram cats?

eg

Wharram Pahi 26 kaufen - boats.com
a german friend also has one (ph26), which he possibly wants to sell.

rgds
stephan
stephan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 15:00   #38

Holy Moly first of all let me say iam seriously amazed by your response ! I kind of thought you would just think iam slightly crazy and ignore me but you outdid yourself with all those great suggestions some went even the extra mile and already looked up boats for sale which is stunning!

I feel i owe it you to explain myself a bit more and to give you some background knowledge about me.

I am a 28 year old medical engineer who just recently finished his studies. I now have 2 year contract after which i intend to set sail. The plan is now to buy the boat in these 2 years and prepare it.
By the way aslong as the Boat is in a EU country i really dont mind were it is just limiting myself to germany would probably be quite hard but if the boat is in the US i would be out of luck thats too far away.

Why do i dont care about the Engine?

Because i will replace it with an Electric motor since i have cheap access to batteries and have quite a bit of know how on electrical systems. But sailing is of cause still the main way of moving the boat.

Have i sailing experience?

Yes :-) i crewed on quite a few boats in the mediterranean and on the north sea while i studied (semester breaks are great^^) and did one Atlantic crossing. Most of them were Monohulls but 3 were Cats.

Why not buy a Monohull ?

There are of cause the usual reasons that you all know like shallower draft, different motion and so on. But i have 2 reasons that a quite important to me:
First - the range of the electric motor/batterie system is heavily correlated with displacement and cats have quite a bit less displacement then monohulls resulting in greatly increased range.
And secondly - well if you close your eyes and see yourself sailing away what do you see yourself in ? For me it was always a multihull if i have to make a few more compromises and look a bit longer for the right boat i will gladly accept that.

A bit of clearificatino maybe when i said performance i want talking about crazy speeds iam mostly interested in realtivly good up wind performace(for a cat of cause)
Electricsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 16:09   #39

Boat: Cloud Catamaran, Cloud 9, 10.6M, Rainbow Dreaming

I know of a boat that could fit the bill. Atlantis is about 11 meters and lies at Porta Hallie in Greece. Contact the owner/builder Axel on +61488558206 as he is currently in Australia
mjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 22:52   #40

Boat: FP Antigua 37

A few years back there was a Suncat 36 (Kelsall), lying around in one of the yards in Port St Louis, France Med coast. She was launched 1994 and has not sailed alot. I helped build her. She needed alot of TLC when i saw her last but was in sound basic order. She´s a great sailor, relatively light, and capable of going most places. The widow of the owner shold be pleased to let go..
/petter
Moonskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:16   #41

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=199538
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:40   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telstar-8...UAAOSwz71ZPZy4
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:46   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I would with a Prout in this limited circumstance. Either the 26, 31 or 33. All can be had quite cheap and a 9.9 outboard will repower nicely and keep weight down.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:01   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricsails View Post
Why not buy a Monohull ?

First - the range of the electric motor/batterie system is heavily correlated with displacement and cats have quite a bit less displacement then monohulls resulting in greatly increased range.

A bit of clearificatino maybe when i said performance i want talking about crazy speeds iam mostly interested in realtivly good up wind performace(for a cat of cause)
Given the cruising speeds available with a pure EV (limited mostly by the ability of the batteries to store energy), the range is unlikely be affected. Monohulls at 30-50% of hull speed take very little power. In fact a multihull may be worse because it tends to have more windage.

If you are talking about the ability to go to windward and not crazy high speeds, some of your statements about good and bad boats are flat out wrong. Then again, if you want to pound to windward for hours or days, a heavy mono is the way to go for comfort.

Also, if you are serious about windward performance, you need good sails and just about any $20k multihull (or most monos for that matter) is going to have old baggy sails. A new suite of sails for performance can add a few thousand dollars to the pricetag.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:58   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricsails View Post
Hallo fellow Sailors,

Maybe you can help me. I am looking for a catamaran or trimaran in the Range up to 20000$/€ (you read correct there are no zeros missing). This may sound a bit low at first but hear me out.

1. I will mostly be alone on the boat so the size/space needed is quite low and i would start looking at boats 26 feet or longer

2. I dont care about the Engine condition since i already have a plan to replace it.

3. I dont mind if the boat is a bit of a project boat as long as the rigging is in a decent condition.

The Plan is to take this boat around the world or atleast partially around the world. So it has to be able to cross oceans.

So far i found a few candidates that would probably fit my needs but maybe you can point me a few more.

-> Heavenly Twins 27 They are known for beeing able to cross oceans and have definitely enough room but bad up wind performance and are quite slow

-> Gemini 30 Also known for beeing able to cross oceans with even more room performance wise its similar to the Twins

->Telstar 26 (Trimaran) Probably enough room but more would be nice and i dont know about their blue water capabilities

As you see the Cats i found have a quite bad upwind performance and are also quite slow. Ideally i would find a Cat with relatively good performance in my price range. The only one i know of are Lock Crowther 28 ft boats that have a decent performance aswell as selling in the 20k range i hope you have more ideas.

TLDR: Decent performing Cat for singel handed blue water crusing?
OK, a couple of ideas:
1) Some schmuck made a transatlantic passage in a rowboat so blue water in 26' plus is certainly doable.
2) there are cats and tris occasionally for the price you mention, some are actually a bargain.
3) best way to do a circumnavigation in a 26 to 30' boat is to put it on the deck of a freighter and book passage onboard.
4) next best is to plan on dedicating the next 5 or 10 years of your life living on (and working on) the boat as you bounce from port to port.
5) It's not that it can't be done, others have done it already, it is just that there are more enjoyable ways to do it.

My opinions only and they, plus a dollar, may buy a cheap coffee somewhere.
trifan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget