Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 14:44   #91
Marine Service Provider

Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

It was relevant because someone mentioned Australians and Seawind's; I just pointed out that they don't always go together.

Back to topic now.
Old 15-02-2012, 02:34   #92

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator
It was relevant because someone mentioned Australians and Seawind's; I just pointed out that they don't always go together.

Back to topic now.
Agree, personally i dont see what a lot do in seawinds, i am sure they are great and their record speks for itself but for me they just dont stack up or appeal that much.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:17   #93
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig

Agree, personally i dont see what a lot do in seawinds, i am sure they are great and their record speks for itself but for me they just dont stack up or appeal that much.
Same way I feel about the made for charter cats. Great for live aboard but not much of a sailing boat.
Old 15-02-2012, 06:28   #94

Is this a CAT fight?
Old 15-02-2012, 08:23   #95

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Not all cats are expensive.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lls-71781.html
I havn't updated it in awhile but there are recent listings like the Woods 36' for $60,000 and a Simpson 38' for about the same price. And there's always affordable Wharrams. Yeah, they're old (except the Woods) but so what. Most of these affordable monos are that old or older. For those of you that want to throw out cheap mono prices please add 40% to 50% to the length to make the interior room equal to that cat and see how cheap that mono is. And it will still roll at anchor.
Old 15-02-2012, 08:30   #96
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
A level and stable dance floor with more room to Boogie! There's your answer.

I bet you Boogie with the best of them, Boatman, even on a mono! But, oh man! Put you on a catamaran, I can only imagine the other dancers just standing back, and watchiing you groove.
Thats not dancin...
I'm just trying to stay upright....
Thats why everyone's standing back... way back...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 16-02-2012, 20:38   #97

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post

Back to topic now.
I said it and didn't mean to start a squable and for us a Seawind 1000 was the first crusing cat we test sailed in Seattle it had been modified having a hard door instead of canvas to close in the cockpit, now we have a Gemini and it fits our lives currently.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:12   #98

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Explanation for the increase in multihull popularity

Except for ferries, multihulls are still an oddity in the SF estuary, leastwise until the upcoming America's Cup races.

Old 18-02-2012, 11:02   #99

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity,
A good study would be the availability of righting equipment in the said area vers. the amount of cats there...thinking the insurance company's have already done this and penalize the mono hulls rates.hey, do it with everything else............
My thoughts
Mark
PS.I sincerely wish i could of done this with my kids......excalant.
Old 23-02-2012, 23:49   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I always feel a bit unwelcome jumping in on multi threads. It's like if ya don't own one ya can't have an opinion...

Anyway my goal is a 39-40 foot leopard or lagoon. If I have an interest in catamarans does that make me bi-curious?

I regards to popularity I think it is obvious. As a boomer getting older I see a cat as a much more comfortable and stable home. I don't want to live below decks out of the weather or on deck in the weather. Cat solves that. A cat is also a decent motor sailor with redundant twin screws and plenty of electric power and place to mount solar.

In regards to most cat buyers being ex-mono owners? Same drill. We get older we go for the comforts. Also until the last 15-20 years this market was a specialty and most folks owned monos. The boomers got older, the marketing folks figured out what the boomers wanted to spend their money on and now there are a ton of cats with what we want. It's the free market economy...

As far as racing? With the exception of purpose built multis and maybe the gunboats there are scads better fast monos than fast mulit's "for the same money!"

If that is taken as criticism of cats and gets me ostacized, sorry...
Old 24-02-2012, 01:06   #101

Boat: Lagoon 440

Personally our choice was driven by wanting to go back to a cruising life TOGETHER, read my wife and i.
Our choice gives us the comfort of home with the ability to cruise the world as others have before us.
The constant stupid comment about cat safety is unfounded as any boat can be navigated into totally wrong and dangerous conditions.
Most comments come from armchair sailors looking for an internet argument, seaworthy is seaworthy mother nature figures it out pretty quick.
Love mono's, love multis enjoy the life...........'Viva la difference'
Old 24-02-2012, 08:18   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
As far as racing? With the exception of purpose built multis and maybe the gunboats there are scads better fast monos than fast mulit's "for the same money!"
Now compare the square feet of usable space on that mono to the cat and you will find that both types are fairly even in the price dept. There are plenty of fast cats. Outremer, Switch, Catana, Phisa, Freydis, Atlantic etc and lots and lots of customs. I'll bet most of these will beat just about any mono. An Outremer will smoke every mono and is very reasonable if go fast is your highest priority. And one nice thing about go-fast cats is you don't need 20 of your closest friends as rail meat.
Old 24-02-2012, 09:01   #103

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Now compare the square feet of usable space on that mono to the cat and you will find that both types are fairly even in the price dept. There are plenty of fast cats. Outremer, Switch, Catana, Phisa, Freydis, Atlantic etc and lots and lots of customs. I'll bet most of these will beat just about any mono. An Outremer will smoke every mono and is very reasonable if go fast is your highest priority. And one nice thing about go-fast cats is you don't need 20 of your closest friends as rail meat.
Bob,

You know I'm in the multi camp, and more for the reasons of shallow draft, space, level sailing, and being comfortable in a rolling anchorage, but speed is not one of them. Just like the yarn the mono folks pull about multis flipping, we spin the same yarn on speed. Now I'm talking comfortable speed that you would hold 24/7 on a passage. I know of (3) monos that would be faster, an old Cal 40 (I had one), Santa Cruz 50 (they always beat me), and a Sundeer 64 (Nick, S/V Jedi). I'm sure there are more, but given a passage to be completed by a family (so no over canvasing), my money would be on these 3 monos for dropping hook first at the destination. Ask Nick what kind of speeds he runs, and he is an older guy like us.
Old 24-02-2012, 09:01   #104

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Sand Crab nailed it.
I would look for a boat with daggerboards for going to weather performance.

Ayn Rand
Old 24-02-2012, 09:56   #105

Deckofficer, My money's still on an Outremer 45, 50 or 55. Bet ya beer on that one. I'll probably just buy a Lagoon and be happier than a pig in hit. Beats what I got now. BTW 10" to 20" of powder predicted for tomorrow and I'm going to track it all up. Hell of a job but someone's got to do it.

Tags
multihull