Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2012, 17:17   #61

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

potentially embarsssing but true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7230444.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	37364   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7220373.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	37365  

Old 13-02-2012, 17:30   #62
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

If I might try to steer us back to the question originally posed:

I think one of the reasons for the increased popularity of multihulls is that more and more folks are getting into sailing later in life. Those of us who started sailing before we started dating are probably more likely to be monohull owners. Those who started a career first, became successful, and subsequently decided to take up sailing are probably more likely to be multihull owners.

It's all good, right?

I would hypothesize that if you polled the question, "Did you learn to sail from your parents?" those who answer "no" are more likely to be multihull owners than those who answer "yes."

And there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 13-02-2012, 17:40   #63
CLOD

Boat: none

could the answer be economic based in that a lot of people now days are getting into the cruising thing later in life and had a longer working life and made more money than earlier?
Old 13-02-2012, 18:24   #64

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I think one of the reasons for the increased popularity of multihulls is that more and more folks are getting into sailing later in life. Those of us who started sailing before we started dating are probably more likely to be monohull owners. Those who started a career first, became successful, and subsequently decided to take up sailing are probably more likely to be multihull owners.

It's all good, right?

I would hypothesize that if you polled the question, "Did you learn to sail from your parents?" those who answer "no" are more likely to be multihull owners than those who answer "yes."

Not me.

I'm some sort of convert.
Old 13-02-2012, 18:41   #65

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When I first got interested in multihulls, it was while my wife and I were cruising Mexico.
I first saw the light when we were motoring at about 5 knots in light air in our LN 35.
Water was flat, and there was not quite enough air to keep our cruising spinnaker busy.
I noticed a 30' cat off to port about a mile or so with their cruising spinnaker full, although not going any slower than us. It soon became obvious that we were headed to the same anchorage, Puerto Escondido in Baja, so when we arrived I dinghied over to ask if they had been motorsailing. They said no, but they wished they didn't have saildrives as they wanted to sail faster.

That set the hook.

In Marina LaPaz, I asked Mel on T' & Honey why they built a trimaran.
He said, "because it's easier to sail and faster."

Long story short, I'm perfectly happy with our 33' trimaran, even though we have noticeably less interior space. We sail faster, point higher and more comfortably, and arrive rested.
The work sailing is easier as the forces of sheeting etc are all noticeably less.
Sailing virtually flat (and did I say fast?) is wonderful too.

Ayn Rand
Old 13-02-2012, 19:09   #66
Marine Service Provider

Sort of related...

Interesting new link on the Catamarans.com website for the most popular boats listed:

Catamarans for sale

Shows that people are out looking for bargains.
Old 13-02-2012, 19:31   #67

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

On the same note of folks learning to sail in the 60's that are now in there 60's with money some were monohull sailers in family Sunday races like my wife's family did weekly, but others like myself as the first one in our family in several generations sailing, started sailing on a fast Hobie Cat with no reguard to those buoys that monohull sailers sailed around if it happened to be in the middle of the lake or other breezy areas and taunted them into trying to catch me It was fun in my youth .
As a mechanical artistic teen in the 60's I saw no future in old monohull designs as there limited in speed not saying some newer J boat types can get good speed and I'm sure 20 foot all carbon daysailers get good speed but what family today has that kind of cash . I'm sure if todays monohull designed boats were the design of future they would be out racing "IN THE SAME RACES" as the 45 ft catamarans with wings but I haven't see that, at least not in the San Diago bay preping for the Americas Cup.

We had a really nice 26 ft trailerable monohull sailboat for several years and loved the sailing life, but setting at anchor wobeling with passing dingies and waterski boats got really painfull for my arthertic neck and my wife wanted room for grand kids so we looked at 3 stateroom yachts that could handle 6 to 8 folks and still anchor in 5 foot min anchorages and cruse under 65 ft RR and auto bridges. We were down to a couple of boats a 53 footer monohull with 7 ft draft and our 34 ft Gemini 105Mc. The 53 footer had an 80 foot mast and too deep of draft so we chose our catamaran and now my lovely monohull racing wife loves our catamaran. Were mostly costal sailers and have hopes to sail the almost 1400 miles around WA state from our home moorage to the San Juan Islands and back this summer, we think that will surfice this year, I'm sure if we had our choices for an off shore crusing boat we'd get a bigger catamaran also but we will win the lottery first !! 66 ft Gunboat
Old 13-02-2012, 20:00   #68

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I had a couple of small catamarans when I was young, but I sailed plenty on blue water old fashioned sailboats. I ended up geting smaller boats and ended up a windsuring nut for a few years. Then I was in an excellent position to try living aboard a boat and I said, "Why not?". I looked around and found an old Wharram 45' ketch. I sailed it alone on a 3 day delivery and got over the anxiety of handing it alone. The boat was decrepit and after 3 years of refitting a freak autumn storm wrecked it from its mooring. I was a way for that week. Never went away during the hurricane season, but this happened a week before my winter slip opened in November.
I looked around for a new boat and found a pretty monohull sloop with lots of teak. It too needed work, but we sailed it often and it was OK. It just didn't go fast enough to get very far. I had to learn its quirks and sensitivity to sail balance and sea state.
Then I got a lead on my current boat, another catamaran, but it was an unfinished project. All these boats I had were affordable due to one thing or another. I was on a budget and glad to get them and have adventures.
I would say I am predisposed to catamarans now. I like sailing on some of my friends monohulls when I have my own boat out of commission for one of my many boat projects. I also like sailing on my friends catamarans and I can get lots of ideas with every other boat I sail on.
The original thread of this thread is popularity of multihulls is growing. Yes it is. Monohull sailors are eager to sail on my boat and newbies who are trying to learn more about boats to make their own decisions get a good experience when we go out.
It seems the major obstacle is the price factor, and you generally get what you pay for. If a catamaran is expensive, then look what you get, do a square footage of living space comparison on a dollars/sq ft and there is a definite correlation. I like monohulls. I like old boats with intricate teak interiors and a feeling that you are just another old salt in a long line of sailing tradition. But I like my catamaran, it is a project that is still underway, and I can make it any way I like. I like that. When I'm sailing and it starts to blow, the boat doesn't heel over and get me working on reefing sails, it starts accelerating and might require some adjustment to the helm. Everytime I take someone out in brisk winds, they start talking about sailing to some island. Doesn't matter if they are a monohull sailor or a catamaran sailor. I feel the same way. Why do we have to go back to the dock, why can't we just keep going for a few days, or a week, saaayy, with canned foods we could make St. Martin.
Old 13-02-2012, 20:17   #69

Totally agree:
"it starts accelerating and might require some adjustment to the helm. Everytime I take someone out in brisk winds, they start talking about sailing to some island. Doesn't matter if they are a monohull sailor or a catamaran sailor. I feel the same way. Why do we have to go back to the dock, why can't we just keep going for a few days, or a week, saaayy, with canned foods we could make St. Martin."
Old 13-02-2012, 20:49   #70
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Well, it surely isn't because they are easier to sail... need anti-capsize devices, integrated autopilots etc...

ciao!
Nick.
Old 13-02-2012, 21:08   #71

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I think Im not in this 60s stuff Im 73 and been sailing for over 50 yrs, Ive had 7 mono hulls over the years from 30 ft to 73 ft Never owned a multihull YET ! but have deliverd serveral Tris over the years, and have to say I loved the way they sailed and the speed ! well everyone knows about that ! LOL never sailed a cat YET. Im looking for a sailing vessel in the 40 to 50 foot range now and would love a proper Tri but most of them are OLD and wood under glass, and just not what I wanted as yet !! but I still Look and hope as I look at Monos I can afford !! well I would love a cat but they are beyond my pocket book !! Just sayin Bob and Connie
Old 13-02-2012, 21:22   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Well, it surely isn't because they are easier to sail... need anti-capsize devices, integrated autopilots etc...

ciao!
Nick.

Now I know why they sail faster more knobs
Old 13-02-2012, 23:55   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

It's all good, right?

Fair comment. All I know is that every multi I have sold is to people who have previously owned monos.
Old 14-02-2012, 01:50   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Fair comment. All I know is that every multi I have sold is to people who have previously owned monos.
So in Australia I guess Hobie cat sailers get eaten by the salt water crocks and sharks and don't get old enough to buy a beautiful Seawind We still have a fondness for the 1160 and 1200
Old 14-02-2012, 02:17   #75
Marine Service Provider

I'm Australian and the Seawind is on the bottom of my list, just like Australian built cars like the Holden and Ford.

The Seawind doesn't do it for me.....

See below: (edit: no idea why they are on their side, too tired to fix it)

Sexy...

Not so sexy...

Closed Thread

Tags
multihull