Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 18:09   #46

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC
Re: Explanation for the increase in multihull popularity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
Cat that goes to weather...oxymoron. Cat that'll fit into a single slip...ibid. Cat that'll right itself from a knockdown...don't even think about it. Next.....
"Never, ever, ever take a sleeping pill and a laxative at the same time. "

Is that when a "multi" gives you a "mono" result!

Old 12-02-2012, 18:21   #47

Boat: too many

Quote:
Cat that goes to weather...oxymoron. Cat that'll fit into a single slip...ibid. Cat that'll right itself from a knockdown...don't even think about it. Next.....
Cat that'll let you sleep in a rolling anchorage, more so than a mono.

Old 12-02-2012, 19:17   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Wow - its all clear now - I have been mistaken the last 20 years, my sight has been restored.

You boat is - or at least was at the racier end when new. I have never sailed one but these comments are on another thread on this site, I dont know how accurate they are, I have added my commentary after them. The commentator was responding to a question about the C&C 34 as an ocean going boat.

Quote:
-I have spent a lot of time watching and a little time sailing on these boats. Granted much of this time was on the race course but the deep canoe body and pinched ends makes for a boat with a comparatively high amount of drag and that will wipe out if not held pretty flat, and which is light on ballast. The compartively high drag means that it takes a fair amount of drive (sail force) to safely keep one moving in a seaway and the low-ish stability and tendancy to wipe out (without a lot of crew weight on the rail) makes a pretty poor choice for an offshore boat.
My boat is very safe offshore, doesn't need a team on the rail to ballast it (I regularly sail alone),

Quote:
-Their tendancy to excitation roll and their tendancy to broach downwind eliminate important light weight boat storm strategies.
I don't broach and don't roll downwind, that was actually the primary reason that I stopped owning a mono, the rolling downwind. Now a spinnaker is a easily used cruising sail of choice that I can sail with one up in safety.

Quote:
-While there is a lot of C&C owner loyalty, my experience with these boats is they were clearly engineered to be racer/cruisers. When I compare the hull panel size, number of bulkheads and transverse frames, near total lack of stringers, and the normal kinds of structural design that one expects to find in a boat that has a "ocean racing look".
Is this accurate, would the boat be suitable for a Cat 1 open ocean race?

Quote:
-I really think that both the Sigma 33 and the Dehler are better suited for offshore work and should be more readily available over there. They are both later designs and so benefitted from the rule change after the Fastnet and so had greater stability and motion comfort than the pre-Fastnet C&C. (I know of two Sigma 33's that have crossed the Atlantic and done extensive cruising.) The engineering on these boats is better suited to the kind of hammering that you can take offshore (The Dehler meeting the very high Deutische Lloyds standards.) The Sigma's and Dehler's fractional rig makes these boats far better suited for offshore sailing than the C&C which depends on a rather large sail inventory to deal with shifts in weather. (The C&C's required large headsails for moderate conditions which are too large to effectively roller furl down to storm sizes.)
I have a small sail inventory that is handled one up no problem.

Quote:
So, I personally see it like this, there are a lot of boats that would seem totally unsuitable that have very successfully crossed the Atlantic or gone most of the way around the world, but you are asking about the suitability of these particular boats and by any normal standard, even those of an offshore racer, I see the C&C 34 as ill suited for the kind of passage that you are proposing.
So clearly there are a lot of things that my boat does better and safer than yours, some things you may do better than me. So heres a thought mate, how about he who is without sin casting the first stone.

Oh and I dont need a double wide slip, you see I just park on the inside where there is only 1.5 metres of water at low tide, And I dont need a boat that will right itself from a knockdown, it won't get knocked down in a stiff breeze like yours.
Old 12-02-2012, 19:30   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Some people have no sense of humour.

The people iin the mono I just sailed past to windward for example. Gained about 1/2 a mile on one tack, then sailed past on the next. Sailing higher and faster.

They wouldn't even wave back when we waved at them. In fact they studiously avoided eye contact.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:22   #50

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45
Re: Explanation for the Increase in Multihull Popularity

One minor detail that separates the Monos from the Multis: There are more slips for monos than there are for multis and at much lower prices also.... So please enjoy your multi And I will enjoy my mono, which is a Hardin45 ketch... And I shall pay much much lower slip costs.
But that baby does look happy in his/her swing. And that is what this thread is really about.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:29   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Love that! You like to stay open minded, then make the classic closed minded statement of all time!!!
+++
Not only that one, but the "I even sail an occasional trimaran"

like that is something weird ?

owner of a quite weatherly (easy 90 degree or better tacks) and reasonably fast trimaran,

Steve B.
Old 12-02-2012, 21:37   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:

The people iin the mono I just sailed past to windward for example. Gained about 1/2 a mile on one tack, then sailed past on the next. Sailing higher and faster.

They wouldn't even wave back when we waved at them. In fact they studiously avoided eye contact.
I've noticed that a lot. You too, eh?
Old 12-02-2012, 21:58   #53

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:

They will be unlikely to share that story about how they were rounded up by a cat sailing higher and faster.

Cats can't go to windward.
Old 13-02-2012, 06:34   #54
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

How are all these 'mono versus multi' posts relevant to a thread entitled "Explanation for the increase in mulithull popularity"? They aren't. Whether some monohullers like them or not, there is no question that multihulls are far more popular than they were in the 80's. Those who wish to trash multis (and refuse to acknowledge any advantages) can, I suppose, say something insulting like 'bad taste'; or 'uneducated buyers', or 'more people have death wishes'. At least that would be responsive (if unhelpful and inflammatory), but extolling the relative virtues of monohulls is not.

Brad
Old 13-02-2012, 06:51   #55
smj

Boat: Searunner 38 catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star
How are all these 'mono versus multi' posts relevant to a thread entitled "Explanation for the increase in mulithull popularity"? They aren't. Whether some monohullers like them or not, there is no question that multihulls are far more popular than they were in the 80's. Those who wish to trash multis (and refuse to acknowledge any advantages) can, I suppose, say something insulting like 'bad taste'; or 'uneducated buyers', or 'more people have death wishes'. At least that would be responsive (if unhelpful and inflammatory), but extolling the relative virtues of monohulls is not.

Brad
I think these posts are very relative as the major reason for the rise in popularity in the multihull is the monohullers switching to multihulls. Let's face it, the majority of the new multihull buyers are ex monohullers. That speaks volumes to me.
Old 13-02-2012, 06:58   #56

well, I'm sorry I took the bait... here's back on track:

Old 13-02-2012, 11:58   #57

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
well, I'm sorry I took the bait... here's back on track:

Yeah, good idea. Posts those pictures affirming Darwin's theory, kids adapting to a multihull.
Old 13-02-2012, 13:00   #58

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

[QUOTE=Factor;885436]But if your mono sinks it wont float.
QUOTE]
Wow, never thought of that! You mean, even right way up?

I know multi's can float both ways up, but where do you hang the baby seat up the other way? They seem a bit spartan upside down. For a "go both ways", the designer must have been running short of time for one of 'em! And where is the bigger prop to turn it into an air boat?

Don't mind me, I would own a multi in a heartbeat...if I could afford it.
Old 13-02-2012, 16:16   #59

More Kids On Da Boat:

Old 13-02-2012, 18:12   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
One minor detail that separates the Monos from the Multis: There are more slips for monos than there are for multis and at much lower prices also.... So please enjoy your multi And I will enjoy my mono, which is a Hardin45 ketch... And I shall pay much much lower slip costs.
But that baby does look happy in his/her swing. And that is what this thread is really about.
Ummm.........errrr...............uhhhhhhhhhh...... .scuse me but......uhhhhh....

That baby in in the cockpit of Walt's Gemini 105m which has a beam of 15' is kept in a "regular" slip as are many Gems.

Tags
multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: