Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2018, 07:59   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
Equivalent cat for the Admiral?

Been here a long time and relying on my fellow cruisers for some empathy, understanding, and patience. I’ve researched most, owned 3 trimarans, sailed a few different cats and gone offshore a bit.

BUT, I didn’t have an answer for the Admiral when she just said to me, “no, I won’t compromise and have a galley down. If you like the Seawind 1260 so much, find something like it with the galley up!”

This will be our retirement cat for cruising the east coast and the Bahamas; I don’t need dboards or to chase speed any more, but I do like several things about the Seawind. We’ll most likely have to buy a 2-4 yr old as we’ve been saving, but will finance the rest. I’ve looked at 40-45 footers out there, but struggle to find a safe, seaworthy, comfortable, fun cat to show her that is a cleverly designed boat.

Having looked at FP, Leopard, Lagoon, Voyage, Catana am I missing any?

Thx for letting me ramble!

Best regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:11   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Equivalent cat for the Admiral?

Although both are older I always thought the Manta 42 and Outremer 45 (old one) were very cool. Both have self tacking jibs and mostly protected helms btw. The Mantas back porch is nice with that sling chair. The O45 is fast, no that's incorrect, really fast, that's better. You could check out the new O45 if there is one in you price range.
The Admiral wants galley up, what do you want?
Old 05-11-2018, 08:28   #3

I realize the entire post was somewhat of an unimportant topic; I’m just frustrated after a couple of years of research I can’t find the right boat.

Specs: 2010 or newer, sub 500k, etc....

Me? Either galley works, but I learned on monos; she’s a 3 yr newbie only on multihulls, doesn’t like heeling and gets nauseous down below when underway. I love having her want to sail = galley up!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:30   #4

Boat: Leopard 46 Owners

I've had the same conversation with my wife. Galley down is a non-starter for her. Wife loved a Knysna 480 but the timing was not right for us and it is a bit more boat than I really want. I see several Knysna 440s for sale now. I have not had a chance to get on one yet, but photos look similar to the 480 so it may be a good compromise. They are semi-custom so some have galley up and some down.

She also liked the Manta's.

Good luck
SailSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 16:24   #5

I’ve looked at the Knynas and the 48’ is too large (bigger gear, costlier sails, maintenance, dockage...), and bridgedeck clearance is *really* low, and I don’t like slamming!

Thx,
Old 05-11-2018, 17:39   #6

I guess when I think of a rough equivalent to Seawind, I think of Lightwave. The 38 and 45 are available with galley down or up, not sure what would be available second hand though.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 20:46   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Maybe a Maxim 38
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 23:48   #8

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
We’ll most likely have to buy a 2-4 yr old as we’ve been saving, but will finance the rest. I’ve looked at 40-45 footers out there, but struggle to find a safe, seaworthy, comfortable, fun cat to show her that is a cleverly designed boat.

Having looked at FP, Leopard, Lagoon, Voyage, Catana am I missing any?

Thx for letting me ramble!

Best regards,
Privilege. Perhaps a bit older than you are aiming for but I think they did the Series 4 until around 2014. Earlier 435/445 are more readily available. Not as much space as the latest designs but very strong and very well built interiors.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 00:22   #9

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

As you liked the Farrier trimarans, why not stay with that designer? I think this extended F-41 with mini keels could be an excellent alternative (probably faster) to a Seawind. And it has galley up.

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...tamaran/183213

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
As you liked the Farrier trimarans, why not stay with that designer? I think this extended F-41 with mini keels could be an excellent alternative (probably faster) to a Seawind. And it has galley up.

Paul

Looks like pretty good buying! I'd enquire as to who it's currently insured with, I've been hearing some insurers are staying away from rotating mast rigs.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:25   #11

Boat: TRT 1200 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I've been hearing some insurers are staying away from rotating mast rigs.
I think LeeV would be based in the US and wouldn't have to work with your crazy Australian multihull-hating insurers... :-)

Paul
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post

Paul
Good suggestion, Paul. I loved our Condor 40 (Phil Herting and Mick Price) and I liked Ian and his designs (F31 and at least some of his design in our Corsair 36), but at 65 I’m having some hand issues (need elec winch!) and am slowing down, looking forward to traveling at a bit slower pace - not a tank though! But as I’m in Maryland, it would be more effort than I’m willing to expend to look down under.

As for the insurance issue, I’ve not heard that one!

Regards,
Old 07-11-2018, 08:57   #13

I'm right there with you! For different reasons.

Has she stepped aboard the Seawind though? I'm the cook of the household, and before seeing it in person myself, I would've probably said the same thing. The Seawinds have the biggest windows (at eye level!) and the most light in the hulls of any boat we've seen by a mile though. That makes a huge difference to me. I think they might actually be the only cat with eye-level windows running pretty close to the full length of the living space actually.

The 1260 galley doesn't "feel" anything like an Antares 44i galley with its one tiny port hole. If that's the stick she's measuring "galley down" by, she might be doing herself a favor by stepping aboard a Seawind?

If you're in Maryland she can just go check one out by herself, no pressure from you? And if she still hates it, well, at least you both tried, and you can respect that.

But yeah, if you find a Seawind-But-Not-A-Seawind I'd love to hear about it. I've found Lightwave 38's (no used 45's), Grainger 433s and Perry 43s. That's about it.

It's weird that only Australians seem to like having lots of natural light in the hulls...
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmoot View Post
I'm right there with you! For different reasons.

Has she stepped aboard the Seawind though? I'm the cook of the household, and before seeing it in person myself, I would've probably said the same thing. The Seawinds have the biggest windows (at eye level!) and the most light in the hulls of any boat we've seen by a mile though. That makes a huge difference to me. I think they might actually be the only cat with eye-level windows running pretty close to the full length of the living space actually.

The 1260 galley doesn't "feel" anything like an Antares 44i galley with its one tiny port hole. If that's the stick she's measuring "galley down" by, she might be doing herself a favor by stepping aboard a Seawind?

If you're in Maryland she can just go check one out by herself, no pressure from you? And if she still hates it, well, at least you both tried, and you can respect that.

But yeah, if you find a Seawind-But-Not-A-Seawind I'd love to hear about it. I've found Lightwave 38's (no used 45's), Grainger 433s and Perry 43s. That's about it.

It's weird that only Australians seem to like having lots of natural light in the hulls...
We’ve been aboard and/or test sailed all but the 1600 ($$$) and like them, but she gets queasy below when underway and hates it.

We both cook together, so we appreciate space.

I think this is an incorrect assumption: “It's weird that only Australians seem to like having lots of natural light in the hulls...”. We wouldn’t have it any other way. But that doesn’t equate to wanting a galley up.

We’ll no doubt have to compromise somewhere, but galley up won’t be it!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I think this is an incorrect assumption: “It's weird that only Australians seem to like having lots of natural light in the hulls...”. We wouldn’t have it any other way.
I actually meant Australian designers. I might be wrong, but I think all the boats I mentioned are Australian designed. And I suppose you could toss Farrier in there as well.

Just something that jumped out at me recently.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote