Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 12:06   #16

Re: Engine hour meter failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I feel his intent was to set new ones to elapsed hours the old ones read, with that feature.
So it only goes UP?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:14   #17

Boat: Cadtana 431

I don''t know; I think it may have been a VDO mechanical hour meter, but it was whatever was available in St. martin at the time.
-Steve
sailsw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:26   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
So it only goes UP?
It probably goes both ways. I wouldn't question his ethics and find no reason to. He sounds as if he just wants to log his hours.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:27   #19

Boat: PDQ 44i

Meters on both of our Yanmars have failed. At first the failure to display was intermittent, but now they never display. I am glad to know that the hours log is still being kept internally somewhere. That may be useful someday when we want to sell our ship, but for now I log the hours manually.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:43   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
was stuck for a month at the Cat Club in Antigua
There are worse places to be stuck...for a month.
There's a bar at the shore end of the dock.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:48   #21

Boat: Hanse 400e 12M
Send a message via Skype™ to aitch

Peters, afraid Yanmar may be giving you the "never-heard-that-before" run-around.
Like you I have a Yanmar 3JH5E with the exact same problem. My vessel is Melbourne registered, but currently in Tasmania.
My problem is intermittent. Works on some occasions, not on others, and for no apparent reason.
Logging engine hours is part of my trip-planning and fuel calibration disciplines, so I long used my timepiece to back up the engine hour readings between blanks.
Not a new problem, and seems to have no solution.
aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:14   #22

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
From SailboatOwners
If you read this actual thread the creator of the document has stated that the fix did not work for him. Repeat, this does not work, and is not a lasting fix.

Our hour meters from 2006 (around 1600 hrs) display the same symptoms as yours. Installing an external hour meter seems to be the only reasonable solution, as far as I can tell. Lame.
Old 07-06-2015, 18:40   #23

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitch View Post
Peters, afraid Yanmar may be giving you the "never-heard-that-before" run-around.
Like you I have a Yanmar 3JH5E with the exact same problem. My vessel is Melbourne registered, but currently in Tasmania.
My problem is intermittent. Works on some occasions, not on others, and for no apparent reason.
Logging engine hours is part of my trip-planning and fuel calibration disciplines, so I long used my timepiece to back up the engine hour readings between blanks.
Not a new problem, and seems to have no solution.
Thanks Aitch, and all, what a great response, this seems to be a well known problem, I will talk to Yanmar this week see if they can repair mine, if not seems I will have to replace them.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:59   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

They are very expensive and will just go out again. Best fix is to buy an inexpensive hour meter and forget about the tach one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 21:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I always log my engine hours on shutdown, recently the display was blank on one engine then a couple of hours later on arrival at our home marina the other display failed, the tacho's are working fine as is everything else, I checked the wires that go into the back of the tacho there is simply a removable plug with about four wires connected, I removed the plug checking for any loose wires or corrosion etc. all seems good, also noted that when I pushed the plug back in the light inside the tacho came back on so I know power is OK although I guess the hour meter could fail even though the light is on. Here is the odd bit the following week after a short run the hour meter came good all by itself with the correct hours displayed, I was pleased that whilst the display had failed the hours are being correctly accumulated. This weekend both hour meters have failed again. In summary I feel it is a connection problem but I think the connection is OK at the tacho end, I am unsure where the hours information comes from, my engines are 40 HP Yanmar 3JH5E about 230 hours total time Lagoon 400 about 4.5 years old, I did call Yanmar here in Australia they advised it would be rare for my problem. I would be most appreciative if anyone can help, or have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter
I had mine repaired by www.sgesco.com.au here in Brisbane.
You could try vdo gauges tachometer smiths chronometric marine speedometer instrument repairs dials speed limiting in Melbourne or
Gauges, Instruments and Control Sales & Service - The Gauge Shop - NAMIISS in Sydney.

Otherwise search in google for VDO instrument repairs Melbourne and see what you get.

From memory, it was a $150 fix or there abouts - $250 including new quartz lens cover and new bulbs as well.

Hope this helps.
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:35   #26

Boat: FP Elba 45

Thanks Mark, I imagine they are expensive, I will find out when I contact Yanmar tomorrow, and thanks 2wind I will indeed contact the Melbourne people should I need some one to repair mine. I must say I am really surprised some many hour meters have failed.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:41   #27

Am having the same problem with one of two hour meters on my cat. If u buy the mechanical hour meter can you spin foreword the hours on it when you install it to match the digital display hours. Or do you need to start at zero hours when you buy a new meter.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
HKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:47   #28

Have you checked your grounding wire for corrosion and or loose connections? Haven't seen you post anything suggesting you have ruled this possibility out.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:46   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it's still keeping track of the hours, then it's the display
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Have you checked your grounding wire for corrosion and or loose connections? Haven't seen you post anything suggesting you have ruled this possibility out.
That is a good idea. Checking the voltage with a meter only tells you have it to the meter ground. The display may require more than the clock?

More wire wiggling may be prudent before going for new equipment.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine