Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 15:08   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Engine for Prout Snowgoose Elite

I am looking at what would be the best engine to fit in my Snowgoose elite. I think i would like to stick to a single engine rather than twin.
Fresh water cooled or sea cooled? Advantages and disadvatages.
I would like something bullet proof, reliable and easy to get parts worldwide.
I have been looking at Yanmars but see a lot of negative feedback on other forums.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 16:33   #2

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think you see negative feed back as issues with yanmar because there are so many yanmars on boats so of coursem there are more reported issues. I am a big fan of cummins natural aspirated engines for boats like mine. Heavy displacement mono. For your application i cant imagine using anything but a yanmar.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 17:36   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Engine for Prout Snowgoose Elite

Agreed. Yanmar is the way to go. They are everywhere and there is a good reason for that. Fresh water cooling means you dont have salt water running through the engines cooling system. Instead, the seawater cools the fresh water in a heat exchanger then the fresh water runs through your engine instead.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:43   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Our first Yanmars 2gm20s did 5500 hours over 8 years, our 3YM30s have done over 1000 hours in 2 years. They don't give trouble. The company that charter and maintain our boat rate Yanmars highly.

Go to the boat show">London Boat show in January and squeeze a deal!

I presume you will be fitting a Sonic outdrive as that was standard and the boat was designed for it?
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:51   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

Phill,

our Snowgoose is 24 years old. the first owner did a lot of motoring.
but the engine is still the origional Yanmar sea water cooled and starts with minimal preheat.
i have replaced the starter after it got soaked in sea water. but 24 years and still a good engine cant find fault with that.

The only alternitive to that I would think of is electric drive with generator and lithium bats and a forest of solar cells. but that is experimental and unproven unlike the Yanmar.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:04   #6

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 View Post
I am looking at what would be the best engine to fit in my Snowgoose elite. I think i would like to stick to a single engine rather than twin.
Fresh water cooled or sea cooled? Advantages and disadvatages.
I would like something bullet proof, reliable and easy to get parts worldwide.
I have been looking at Yanmars but see a lot of negative feedback on other forums.
If you go for the one engine solution I would recommend a Lombardini diesel (lightest in their class) with twin hydraulic drives, the twin propellors give you the manoeverability you want on a cat (which is the set-up that I have). Get the folding props right and you have a great setup.

Where would you place the single engine? If in a hull think to offset the engine's weight with the diesel tank and other heavy equipment like service batteries in the other hull.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

The Prout has a centrel nacelle with a place for a sillette stearable leg. that keeps the weight central and gives good mobility.
you have to keep the leg well greased up and make sure the reversing latch is secure otherwise it is great for manuverability.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 08:11   #8

Given that the drawback of a single engine configuration is lack of back-up should the one and only engine fail, I chose to fit a hybrid engine when I decided my ancient bobtail Yanmar was past it. I now have a 30hp Beta diesel, with a 5Kva generator driven off a toothed belt, which (should the diesel fail or I wish a silent exit/entry in or out of a mooring) becomes a 10Kva motor when power is fed from the batteries. Of all the options, it satisified KISS, was the lightest and simplest to fit. The only marginally complicated task was to make a 50mm pad for the transom, so as to move the Sillette leg far enough back to allow space for a hydraulic gearbox needed to disengage the motor from the engine. Check out Hybrid Marine on the Isle of Wight.
alickn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine