Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2011, 18:35   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Endeavor 30 cat

Looking at an Endeavor 30 cat, yes I know they dont point well, dont sail super fast, and are referred to as power sailors, but most I know motor sail (Often) and we love the space, layout, clear line of sight, and large cockpit, storage. We are looking at one in Key West this week, and wanted some others opinions if you have sailed or owned one. Our plans for the next 3-4 years are gunkholing all over Florida's west coast, over weekends, a few 2-3 week trips to KW and DT and Bahamas, and who knows what we will decide after that. They seem strong and well made, and have a good history as far as integrity. This one has had some slight repair to the bridge roof around the mast not the actual base of the mast.
Anyone heard or seen of this? Supposedly the repair is well done. Cat comes well equipped and is priced reasonably well.
Please give me any opinions or info ,
Thanks,
R&R
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 04:44   #2

Re: Endeavor 30 cat

2008 I purchased a Endeavourcat 30 in Panama. Sailed over to Australia where I sold her. I think she sailed pretty well considing she is very roomy. We also had her very heavy with all food, extra fuel, water etc.
She needed about 8 kt to push her at a speed of 4kt.
10th about 5kt.
15 kt: about 6.5-7kt
20kt: 7.5kt

Checkout: 7Hav.se
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 05:04   #3

I saw your adventures and read the entire blog, Awesome adventure you guys had!!! Just wondering at what wind velocity did you start worrying about reducing sail and reefing? How was fuel consumption under motoring? Any areas of concern I should pay attention to during inspection, I may or may not get a surveyor involved dependant upon my inspection and if I feel the need.
Old 21-06-2011, 05:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I saw your adventures and read the entire blog, Awesome adventure you guys had!!! Just wondering at what wind velocity did you start worrying about reducing sail and reefing? How was fuel consumption under motoring? Any areas of concern I should pay attention to during inspection, I may or may not get a surveyor involved dependant upon my inspection and if I feel the need.
Glad to hear you have read our blog!
We did put our first reef in at 18-20 knots of wind.
2nd reef at 26-30 kt.
Fuel consumption depends on what engine you use. We had a 2 stroke Yamaha Enduro. And it consumed about 1 liter per nautical mile. Or 5 liter per hour (5kt). Reliable but a little bit thirsty. A 4 stroke is much nice quite and lower consumption.

I didn't like that the water tanks were made of aluminum. It corroded and left some kind of aluminium oxzide. (white stuff). When we sold her the new owner did a servey and hauled her out. There were some kind of pocket in the keel with lots of water which took a couple of miniutes til it was empty. The new owner fixed this a year later.

It slams pretty much, but I have not been sailing on any other multihull so I can't compare it.
Old 26-06-2011, 13:46   #5

I noticed you have similar davits to the ones on the 30 we are purchasing. I was wondering how heavy a dinghy you carried on it? Also did you keep it lifted with the outboard on her or did you remove it first? I noticed in a few of your pics there was a Caribe dinghy which I think are pretty heavy (close to 200lbs?)
Thanks,
By the way when we did the initial sea trial we had 9 people on board in 7.8 knots, ow wind and hit 4.4 knots, not too bad for what she is!
Old 26-06-2011, 23:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I noticed you have similar davits to the ones on the 30 we are purchasing. I was wondering how heavy a dinghy you carried on it? Also did you keep it lifted with the outboard on her or did you remove it first? I noticed in a few of your pics there was a Caribe dinghy which I think are pretty heavy (close to 200lbs?)
Thanks,
By the way when we did the initial sea trial we had 9 people on board in 7.8 knots, ow wind and hit 4.4 knots, not too bad for what she is!
We never had our dinghy hanging on the davits. I can't speak for you davits, but I just don't think our was strong enough. We always had our 10 ft caribe (hard bottom) on deck. It weighed about 120 lb. The outboard we had on a mount in the aft.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
We never had our dinghy hanging on the davits. I can't speak for you davits, but I just don't think our was strong enough. We always had our 10 ft caribe (hard bottom) on deck. It weighed about 120 lb. The outboard we had on a mount in the aft.
Hey! i remember when i first heard about your passage. truely a inspiration! im a young lad looking to buy a smaller cat and see how far she will take me...just wondering how much you got the 30ft endeavour for? im on somewhat of a budget
bocasdeltoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocasdeltoro View Post
Hey! i remember when i first heard about your passage. truely a inspiration! im a young lad looking to buy a smaller cat and see how far she will take me...just wondering how much you got the 30ft endeavour for? im on somewhat of a budget
Bought it in Panama for about 40k USD. Equipped it for another 5-6k. Sold it in Oz and made a profit on it.

The boat is spacious! But take a look at the searunner trimarans! They have sailed everywhere in the world and seems great. Not as spacious, but safer and faster! Depends on what you are looking for...