Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2004, 04:43   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Pa La O La
Emergency Tiller

Good day to all,

A question - Where might I find an emergency tiller for a 37 Prout Snow Goose? I don’t worry about loosing steering out in the bay. I can drift or not and drop the hook- call for a tow. Out in open water that isn’t always an option. On the trip bringing the boat home I failed to check the steering fluid level and the forth night of the trip around 2 am we suddenly were making nearly two turns of the wheel to even budge the rudder. Of course we were out in the Gulf above Tampa cutting across to Apalachicola. Daylight and landfall were welcome sights. So that experience has convinced me that before I venture off to far I’ll have an emergency tiller. If some one has an emergency tiller or has made one - ideas on what works would be welcome. There is an access on the port stern over the rudder. There is a square rudder post so I’m sure you can fit a box tube over that. But I’m looking for ideas about strength and compactness. I want to be able to stow this thing.

Ideas?

Gary
Old 18-05-2004, 05:53   #2

I have a version made by the factory. I understand it is a modified version of the original design. The modification allows it to be broken down enough to fit in the anchor locker. When I have the boat in Florida in 3 weeks, I'll take a couple of photos and some measurements for you.

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2004, 18:24   #3

Thumbs up Thank You

Woody,

That would be so great. I have a few ideas but I really want to see what was made for it in the first place. Where in Florida? We are in Shalimar / Ft. Walton beach area.

Thanks so much for the offer

Gary
Old 18-05-2004, 19:12   #4

I am directly East of you in Fernandina Beach. We are on the Florida East coast as far north as you can get and not be in Georgia.
Old 22-05-2004, 08:05   #5

tiller

yes the tiller for a snow goose is incch stanless tube bent at 90degree with inch socket welded to it
mickym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 08:09   #6

As promised, here is the information on my Prout 37 emergency tiller...

Here is a photo of all three pieces. They pin together to form one arm seven feet long with a one foot bend. On the end of the bend is a one inch square socket fitting.

The tubing is one inch diameter and not thick walled. The square socket is just a 1" inside dimension thick wall square tube welded on at a slight angle to the tube bend. I did not have anything to measure the angle. I can get that info later if needed.

Removing the pins, you can place all three pieces in the propane locker.

I'm sorry the image quality is not better. I forgot my real camera and had to use my cell phone camera. Let me know you want more details. The literature I have says this installs on the port side rudder, and extends all the way into the cockpit.

Woody
Old 21-06-2004, 19:34   #7

Woody,

Thanks so much. This really gives me the mental picture I needed. I imagined a much beefier apparatus. I think I can fabricate this. The only add on I think it needs is a cover of sorts to go over the three inch hole using it will leave. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Hope the trip south went well. I’ve had company for a couple weeks and haven’t been able to get much time to check for post.

Fair winds

Gary