Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2006, 15:09   #256

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
This is how we have our E120 setup and it works great. Remember you're talking about a 12" display here so SVid is about 75 dpi. I have a 30' SVideo run and it is fine.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 17:29   #257

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAbernethy
This is how we have our E120 setup and it works great. Remember you're talking about a 12" display here so SVid is about 75 dpi. I have a 30' SVideo run and it is fine.
Sound like a great answer to having something to look at while at the helm. It might be nice to have the yard run a high quality Svideo cable (or two) from the nav station to the helm when they outfit the instruments.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 17:50   #258

Boat: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
Have you looked at Raymarine's own charting s/w? I'm hoping to find a demo of this at Annapolis. Integration with onboard plotter(s) should be less problematical.
Been looking at this very powerful routing software, it takes weather and currents into account as well as looks out for land and other hard spots!

http://www.goflow.com/SailNetArt.htm

Compairson to MaxSea> http://www.goflow.com/xmaxsea.htm

http://www.goflow.com/index.html

Anyone using it or know about it??
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 17:58   #259

Boat: Still Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAbernethy
Randy, I see your in Vegas as well as I. (Only till I get my 420 I hope) Where due you park a cat in a sand box? You out on the lake? Give me a call if you get time at 702- 274-9818 stevem4u@sbcglobal.net
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2006, 23:55   #260

Steve, I doubt the boat will ever see her hailing port. She's in Exuma at the moment but I'm bringing her into Fort Lauderdale next week for some work. As you know Nevada is a good place to live officially.

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
Old 26-09-2006, 20:07   #261

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Lagoon 440 Hybrid?

Is lagoon announcing a hybrid 440? I saw it in the October issue of Sail magazine. They also claimed that the motors were from Solomon. Do you think these are both typo's???
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 03:58   #262

Boat: Lagoon 420
440 & Solomon

It is interesting this article lists Solomon as the motor manufacturer. This may mean 1 of a few things:
1) Lagoon are backing off Leroy-Somers and opting for Solomon instead
2) Solomon have a relationship with Leroy-Somers
3) The press is wrong
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 05:13   #263
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Lagoon started producing Solomon-based 440's shortly after they came out with the Solomon 410's. This is not a new development. While the Solomon system is still on the option list for the 440's, I'm not sure you could actually order one, currently.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 04:23   #264

Last year I did a Lagoon 440 test sail with a person who had ordered the Solomon option on his 440. Even at that point, his delivery date kept being pushed and he was complaining that he couldn't get a straight answer on the Solomon engines.

Currently there is no hybrid option available for the Lagoon 440.
Old 28-09-2006, 04:38   #265

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
There was an electric powered 440 at last weeks Southampton boatshow.
Personally I don't care how it is powered, you wouldn't get me buying anything with sails and a flybridge helm.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 16:29   #266

Boat: Lagoon 420-41'4" Martha R
Annapolis Show

I will be going to the Annapolis show to see the new 420,(we have hull #11) and would indeed like to meet with other potential owners. Because we have a demo sail on the 420 set for 1:00 P.M. on Tues. the 10th, I will not be arriving at the show until Sunday afternoon. If any of you will still be around at this time let me know, as I think that a 420 owners group would be a very positive thing when dealing with Lagoon over warranty issues and other problems with the boat. I also think that starting a parts co-op in the Virgins might be a possible way to stock some of the electrical components that are only found on the 420. In the charrter business, down time is lost money and spoiled vacations. This is the first post I have made to this forum, but I have been following the post for several months now, and it seem like you are all looking forward to the hybrid concept that this boat promises. You have covered most of the bases with your comments on how to make this a better boat. One aspect of this boat that has not be addressed very much in detail is what effect a large current draw has on batteries. The higher the amperage draw, the less efficient the batteries become, and with electric engines the amperage draw will be large indeed! When you consider which batteries to buy for this boat you must first look at it amper/hour rating, and then another rating such as reserve capacity at a 25 amp draw. With these two figures you can then calculate "Peukert's Exponent" or number. You should all google "Peukert's Exponent" to see its significance of this number! For example, if you take 2 different 140 amp-hour batteries, one with a Peukert exponent of 1.3 and the other with a Peukert exponent of say 1.1, then do the calulations at various amp draws you will see what I mean. At a constant draw of 14 amps the battery with the 1.3 exponent will last 8.12 hours, the the battery with the lower 1.1 exponent will last 9.33 hours. As the amp usage go up the gap widens exponentially. At a 28 amp draw the 1.3 battery will only last 3.3 hours whereas the 1.1 battery will last 4.35 hours, almost 25% longer from the same 140 Ah rated battery. I am very curious to see what kind of European batteries come as standard, to see if I need to replace them right away with a quality battery with a low Peukert number (the closer to 1 the better). I found a 72V to 12V battery charger and asked Lagoon if they thought it would be alright for me to add to my boat, as their standard boat only came with a 110V battery charger to charge the house batteries. With their design you would have to run the genset to charge the house batteries! They stole my idea and now the standard boat will be equipped with a 50amp 72V to 12V battery charger and they have dropped the 110V to 12V charger altogether. This is a much better system as it will keep your house batteries topped off as you sail. At present I am working on a 9000 BTU air conditioner that draws only 6 amps AC and would run all night on a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter without the need of the genset running at all if you have topped of the batteries with few hours sailing. This would not only help cool down the boat but also help with dehumidification. I passed on Lagoons $28,000 AC system because of not only the exorbinate price, but also on the fact that all air conditioning systems in todays cats require the genset to run at full output all the time. I can see some charters that would run the system 24/7, and burn out your genset in a very short time. This system would definetly need batteries with a low Peukert Number. Did any of you future owners see the letter from Dieter Gust (CEO CNB/Lagoon) to the various U.S. dealers apoligizing for yet another delay in the production schedule dated Sept 29th? My delivery date (ex-factory) has been moved back again by about 6 weeks until Jan. 25th, 2007. In the letter it says, and I quote, "Please be assured that the sole reason for these delays is to ensure the quality of our product: the Lagoon 420 is a new and innovative catamaran that requires all our attention to make sure that we deliver the boats in perfect condition to customers who will be fully satisfied with their new boat" (I think this may be corporate talk for we have a glitch). Fair Winds, Douglas in Michigan
Quiet Riot 420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 21:48   #267

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
Riot,

I believe we have questioned the reasoning behind the use of a 72 volt system as opposed to a Solomon like 144 volt system. The advantage of the higher voltage system is the lower current draw and resultant deduction in battery degradation. Lower amp draw/higher voltage also allows deeper damageless battery discharge. I hope this was not a colossal mistake on Lagoons part. It may work fine for a while but just chew through battery banks.
They say 72 volt systems are commonly used in France so we shall see.

The A/C was a hard sell for me as well, but I did order it. For cruising, a well designed, powerful A/C system may be a Godsend. It is difficult to survive in a 90 degee temp hull with 95% humidity. If Bush nukes Iran, I may cancel my cruise for awhile and install a system myself but make no mistake, installing a full A/C system on a large cat (all boat work ends up more difficult than anticipated) is no small job.

Welcome aboard.
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 23:58   #268

I discussed the 72 volt solution with a Lagoon engineer and he was very particular about staying under 80 volts. He referred to several safety guidelines identifying 80 volts as a threshold, thus 72 being a margin of error beneath this. High current is problematic but massive voltage is what causes arcing.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:22   #269

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot 420
I will be going to the Annapolis show to see the new 420,(we have hull #11) and would indeed like to meet with other potential owners. Because we have a demo sail on the 420 set for 1:00 P.M. on Tues. the 10th, I will not be arriving at the show until Sunday afternoon.
Sadly, we have to leave Saturday evening. We had hoped to be on the demo sail but our calendars don't permit this. Please come back onto this board and post your impressions.

Quote:
If any of you will still be around at this time let me know, as I think that a 420 owners group would be a very positive thing when dealing with Lagoon over warranty issues and other problems with the boat.
We could start with a Lagoon 420 topic on this board to gather interest. There's enough "Lagoon 420" references on this site to draw attention of other owners. There may be a few others quietly watching. Should be pretty easy to start one off. Detailed conversations off line of course. What do you think?

Quote:
I also think that starting a parts co-op in the Virgins might be a possible way to stock some of the electrical components that are only found on the 420.
I can't quite see how this would work. Are you chartering privately or through one of the established companies?

Quote:
Did any of you future owners see the letter from Dieter Gust (CEO CNB/Lagoon) to the various U.S. dealers apoligizing for yet another delay in the production schedule dated Sept 29th?
I haven't seen this letter. My broker isn't that communicative with bad news. I would appreciate it if you could forward the letter to me.

Steve
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:12   #270

Boat: Lagoon 420-41'4" Martha R
PotA, I agree with Randy and Lagoon about keeping the voltage under the lethal limit, and there is plenty of heavy machinery running off of 72 V, such as all diesel-electric locomotives, plus some forklifts and golfcarts. We looked at the Solomon system, but did not like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket with only 1 battery bank. We asked Solomon and Lagoon about installing 2 slightly smaller banks to run in parallel on a Lagoon 380, but they said it would be to heavy. I guess Lagoon changed their mind on the 420. If 1 battery fails in the Solomon system, the whole bank goes down, but with 2 banks in parallel, when you lose a battery in one bank you can run off the other bank until you have time to change out the bad battery. Douglas
Quiet Riot 420 is offline   Reply With Quote