Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2006, 07:33   #211

Boat: Lagoon 420
Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtwin
Would have liked to hear or hear lack of any noise from electric drives, video is mostly shown with background music
There's one bit in the video where they shut the music down and amplify the seagull noise. I think this is their attempt to show how quiet it is.
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 08:57   #212
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Where to register our concerns? I sent my observations and recommendations to my dealer. He said he would pass them on and reassured me that later boats often have improvements and changes from #1.

The larger concern right now is the production schedule. They are about a month behind where they had hoped to be, and the finishing work is taking longer, per boat, than what they had planned. So, delivery dates may well slip by a month or more. He said he will know more after the dealer meeting coming up shortly, but understood that Lagoon was dedicating another building to 420 work.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 10:20   #213

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
Let's meet up on the L420 at 12:30pm Friday and do lunch togther. We can identify each other by the big grins.

Sounds like a plan.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 10:59   #214

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
ID,

Do to parental health issues, I am going to delay my Atlantic passage to Nov-Dec 2008. I just requested a launch delay. What are you doing about the SSB/ham grounding plate which needs to be, ideally, laminated into a hull? This is a critical piece of equipment that I believe is not offered as an option.

I emailed my dealer to echo your requests. The small saloon seat and nav stool absolutely need a back rest. A real desk would really be nice.

I was wondering if you will use an all chain primary anchor rode? It's hard to sleep at night in a remote anchorage knowing that the anchor is connected by nylon (and 30ft of chain), given chafe, but the weight is significant. I have never used all chain but am told the anchor sets easier and the motion of the boat is gentler.

Heavy ground tackle is the best insurance policy. Nylon with a length of chain or all chain the age old question?
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 11:39   #215

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Charter company set expectations on 24 weeks a year. I'm modelling 20 spread across the 4 separate rate periods.

Remind me in 18 months and I'll share actuals.
I get 30 plus weeks charter a year so revenue is high but... So are the costs. You wouldn't believe how much the average charterer manages to break.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2006, 13:41   #216

Boat: Lagoon 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius
You wouldn't believe how much the average charterer manages to break.
How much of the breakages to the charterers typically cover? I was under the impression they were largely liable.
ess105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 09:14   #217
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Planet and other 420's --

That's too bad about the parental health issue. Is Lagoon going to make you pay for the delay? (If so, I wonder if they will do the same in return for their delays?)

RE: SSB, I haven't learned enough about it yet to say. Grounding plates seem to be the way to go and there are several sinterized bronze plates that can be bolted on to the hull, but I'm going to be attending some classes and getting advice on this. I understand that getting good HF transmission is part science/part art.

RE: Rode, I'm intending to go with all chain. I appreciate the concern with the weight, especially since the 420's anchor locker is more forward in the nacelle than many cats that put them further aft in the bridgedeck locker. But, since we will be in many places with coral heads and other obstructions, I'm not willing to chance it with anything else.

For all you 420's, I got some rather disturbing news: Seems that Lagoon is definitely not planning on putting in the desk in the owner's hull that they have illustrated in their prelaunch publications. They say that a "survey" they conducted led them to conclude that owners wanted the sofa, but not the desk. (Were you surveyed? I know I wasn't.) They also say that people were impressed with the volume of storage available. If that is true, then what would be the problem with losing a couple cubic feet of it for the desk? I know that I'm intending to liveaboard and continue doing at least some of my professional work and was planning on having that desk, away from the general workings of the boat.

They also say that the storage (again illustrated in their stuff) over the sofa will not be included. Well, I can always engineer something that will work in that place, but I would rather they did it.

Another issue is access to the bimini top. Seems that they did not consider the cabin top and bimini top as a place people would need to have access to. How do they expect us to cover the main sail? We're going to need to get up there, obviously. A few steps, fold down type will do nicely, in the appropriate places would help.

And, finally, I've been told they are having some delivery date slippage. I suppose that's not surprising with a new model, and if it is a week or two, not a big deal. But, if they're talking a month, two, or maybe three, then it starts becoming a big deal. I don't know about you, but we're making travel and passaging plans based around the delivery date. Not to mention selling the house, having to have a place to live during the interim, etc. That starts to get expensive.

So, if these matters concern you, please share them here, and perhaps also with your dealer. There is considerable power in numbers, like: Base price of a 420, now, over $400K, without options. Optioned out boat is likely to be north of $450 to $500K. Ten or twenty unhappy buyers:$4 to $5 million.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 09:15   #218

Boat: Still Looking
I won’t to see the boat as soon as it's available so let’s see if we can get together, I’m flexible on the time. My broker tells me they are going to be giving demonstration sails and he has put me down for that (buyers are free). You guys could check your contacts and who knows; perhaps we could all get together for that as well. Steve M
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 09:21   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess105
There's one bit in the video where they shut the music down and amplify the seagull noise. I think this is their attempt to show how quiet it is.
Mmmmm. But there are NO seagulls!!!! Think we have to believe the promo stuff. I would assume the elec motors will be quiet even when charging. The Gen on the L440 is quiet and I would assume will be about the same. Lagoon has been doing this Elec testing for some time in L410s and L440s so I am hoping they have it relatively well sorted.

On the other negatives, I can live without the desk but would have liked to have had, can live with the seat arrangement in the Salon and need to understand how to get up to the Bimini but I totally dislike the protrousions on the wall in the Owners side. These need to be covered with a cupboard as they had in the mockups.
Peter Cronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 09:35   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter
Planet and other 420's --

They also say that the storage (again illustrated in their stuff) over the sofa will not be included. Well, I can always engineer something that will work in that place, but I would rather they did it.

So, if these matters concern you, please share them here, and perhaps also with your dealer. There is considerable power in numbers, like: Base price of a 420, now, over $400K, without options. Optioned out boat is likely to be north of $450 to $500K. Ten or twenty unhappy buyers:$4 to $5 million.

ID
I had expected as much. Lagoon are not known for their flexibility with their customers. My broker tells me we can order some extra wood materials to be included - at a cost of course. So after spending $450k+, I will be doing some building myself!!!!!

Good idea on the steps. I have seen cast Al steps that would screw very neatly into the flat part of the Salon side just about where the Lagoon sign is.

No, even though we were very early in the purchase process, we were not invited to any survey????
Old 18-09-2006, 09:40   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem4u
I won’t to see the boat as soon as it's available so let’s see if we can get together, I’m flexible on the time. My broker tells me they are going to be giving demonstration sails and he has put me down for that (buyers are free). You guys could check your contacts and who knows; perhaps we could all get together for that as well. Steve M
Was not planing to go attend this show but would like to meet up with everyone. Is Friday the common day for everyone???
Old 18-09-2006, 09:45   #222

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetoftheapes
ID,

Heavy ground tackle is the best insurance policy. Nylon with a length of chain or all chain the age old question?
I have had anchor rode break. Is not fun. 120ft of chain is the way to go but we must look carefully at the weight issue and where this is stored. The last thing we want to do is to cause an unbalance we have to take care of. Weight may be an issue as I think they supplied 100ft or 30m of chain as standard with the L410??
Old 18-09-2006, 10:28   #223

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
ID,

I've already moved my delivery date from early spring 2007 (one of the first orders) to fall 2007. No charge. They know they are behind schedule so they welcomed the move. It is better to have everything taken care of before we leave the USA, although it pains me to wait longer. I've wanted to sail away since I saw the Dove movie in the early '80s. I was 16 like Robin Lee G. when he started. I should have sailed for a few years before college.

As usual, please keep us updated on your excellent research.
planetoftheapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 13:09   #224

Boat: Still Looking
I'll plan on it if it works for you all as well and I'll try and have more info from the 3000 Watt solar panel people by then. I take it I don’t have much hope in getting Lagoon to hold back the generator to make a real “Green Boat” but will have to pay for it and remove it myself. Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2006, 18:27   #225

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Any speculation that Lagoon will be announcing other Hybrid options in their range at the show?

How did you guys find out about the 420 so long before it was announced?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote