Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 15:22   #301

Boat: Still Looking
Hi Canibul,
I'm in Vegas and they are in Carlsbad, CA not that far away. Of more interest is, I just contacted a business that’s been dealing with them. (Bear in mind I used to be a solar panel and inverter manufacture so I may be a little rusty but still speaka da language, is why I should do this.) Believe me; I’ll have a good idea if it’s real when I see it, even if they are using gallium arsenide as in space modules, I saw those when they were still hush hush. I just missed the call back from the east coast company; I’ hope to speak with them tomorrow! So I’ll keep you posted when more news arrives.
Steve M.
stevem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 15:41   #302
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Hey Steve, thats great! I am very interested, as of course I am sure others are as well. DBK did tell me that they are setting up a demonstration for their dealers and reps soon. I will copy and paste what Deborah Valentino, of their San Diego office wrote me:

(quote) "As for the rumors I'm sorry to say I know of the website you have mention and they are an oil company who really doesn't want our customers to use solar. Our solar system does what we say it does. The system has been third party tested and is approved by the IEC. We are having a demonstration of the system for Dealers within the next few weeks and we may have another one for purchasers if we get enough participates, if you are interested in viewing this demonstration I will put you on the list and please come and view the JIL-3000 here in San Diego, CA." (end quote)

So it would be really great if you could ground truth all this. I am looking at spending over $ 40K right now for a solar system for a new house, and of course am way interested in using the same company and components for house and boat.
I really hope they are on the level and have made this breakthrough. Lucky theres someone here who can check it out.
Old 12-10-2006, 17:17   #303

I'm still in construction, General Manager of this Co.> http://www.starmarkconst.com/ That's my brother on the 1st page. I'm aiming on a dealership with DBK if they turn to be OK. Hope what I hear tomorrow sounds OK and what you just posted is very encouraging. I’m put the dealership (normal cost I hear is $100,000.00) somewhere in the Caribbean, but should be way less due to my OEM standing. I’ll pass my cost on to our L420 people. Same goes for your house if I ever get this going in time.
Steve M.
Old 12-10-2006, 17:45   #304

By the way Canibul,
have you checked if there are any state incentives to assist in the cost of your purchase? Some have great programs, You can Google that. You have probable figured out that the DBK system, watt for watt is way cheaper than a conventional solar array system, to say nothing of setup costs as well. When I say (as in previous posting) I’ll pass my cost on to our L420 people, I mean the coast of the modules to me from DBK.
Steve M.
Old 13-10-2006, 14:23   #305
One of Those

Steve, the DBK system, if it works, would be cheaper. Right now I am talking seriously to Kyocera's people in the Dominican Republic about a solar installation. I have all their numbers re: load etc.

But I would never spend any money with DBK unless I understood what they were doing. "Just give us your money and trust us" somehow isnt good enough. I need technical details.

The Dominican Republic guy tells me there is a Solar Energy conference in San Francisco either next week or the week after, and he is attending. I asked him to see if he could find out what DBK is doing differently than the japanese.

I cant get any state or federal credits, because I live in the TCI.
Old 13-10-2006, 14:53   #306

No credits, understand. Spoke today with Tom at a solar supplier in Westminster Maryland, they are holding off on stocking the DBK’s till they go to Deborah Valentino’s demonstration. I have just sent off a request to my contact their to do the same but mainly for a heads up meeting ASAP. Let you know when they get back to me.
Steve M.
Old 13-10-2006, 14:57   #307

Do you know anyone with BP solar? I used to be able to buy factory direct from them (Used their cells in my factory) and likely still can. If this doesn't work out, maybe I could pass that on to you if you need it.
Steve M.
Old 26-10-2006, 16:32   #308
One of Those

Steve,
Its been a few days since the forum posts on DBK solar panels. Did you get any more information from the company on their new products?
Old 28-10-2006, 10:34   #309
One of Those

So anyone know what happened with the DBK miracle solar panel demonstration? It all went very very quiet.

Did they fry the audience?
Old 30-10-2006, 11:00   #310

Hay Canibul, Sorry guy, I have been snowed at work and home. They had the first meeting last week and the notice to me was sent to the wrong address. I just spoke with my contact at DBK, Young Yang, Ph.D. and his English is better than my Chinese (I know 1 word) so he is having Deborah Valentino call me. I won’t to go to the next Jil 3000 WT panel demonstration which is coming soon. I’ll keep you posted. I see Multihulls mag. has done a test on the L420 and it will be out in Dec. issue.
Steve M.
Old 30-10-2006, 11:36   #311
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Steve M --

Thanks so much for bird-dogging this. From what you say about yourself, you sound like the guy to be the BS-detector.

If this system can actually do as they advertise, then I'm pretty darn sure I'll be a customer, but, they are making big-time claims that run counter to accepted practice. Therefore, they will have to show their work before I'll show them my money! Young Yang may have a Ph.D., but big deal -- so do I, and I've known plenty others where it just meant "BS, Piled Higher and Deeper".

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2006, 13:44   #312

Takes one to spot one! So I'm sure I qualify there! Steve M.
Old 30-10-2006, 14:11   #313
One of Those

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I have gone ahead with local planning dept. and submitted plans for new house with a big flat garage roof stating its for "Solar and Wind energy systems".. Hopefully they wont want something more specific...But am still searching for good solar system.

By the way, Deborah Valentino was the person at DBK who generated the emails I posted here previously. Good luck.
Old 30-10-2006, 14:45   #314

I remember seeing that, I haven't met her as yet. Hope we can get something going with her soon! Don't think I mentioned it but except for the fuw years i was in the solar buss. I have been in construction, as now here in Vegas. You might have to come up with the static load of the solar system on that roof. Then show your joist will carry it. (Don’t forget to allow for the snow load! And do you plan on landing that cute little chopper and your friend on there as well???? Steve M.
Old 30-10-2006, 16:03   #315
One of Those

Cause it, like most of the house, is steel re-inforced concrete. Could park a Sikorsky on that roof.

Did I tell you I got VERY involved in designing the house? Its custom, and its my intention to stay right there and watch the hurricanes.

We aint scairt of no stinkin snow load. People here would be dying of exposure if the temperature ever dropped below 60 degrees. I dont think it ever has during recorded history.