Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2006, 02:46   #136

Any further information/pictures?

Hi,

I am pretty much surprised that although the 420 was announced to be floating since July Lagoon has not come out with some pictures or any further information yet. Could it be that the 14to of fiberglass just drowned?

Has anyone any further news?

I am still sceptical about the electric system and would prefer to switch to "normal" enginges if I could. But according to the information I received so far this will not be possible before 2008 but we donīt want to wait that long. Does anyone of you have any information, whether the Lagoon-people changed their mind and offer diesel-enginges earlier than 2008?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:20   #137

Boat: Lagoon 420 -Avanga
420 Status

Hi everyone,

How do you know the 420 was actually launched in July? I know with great confidence that the 420 was without interior, deck and rig at the end of June. I would not be surprise by a launch delay of a new model boat.

It is time to wait for the actual boat to be tested. Further discussion of her electical system is unlikely to yield fruit at this point. We have beat this to death. The potential benefits of this system vs. diesels are substantial.

-Apes

Old 02-08-2006, 18:14   #138

Boat: SeaView - Privilege 37
Yes, please, everyone go out a buy twin engine electics. With the Solomon drive!

Yes, I do own Solomon stock
Old 03-08-2006, 03:33   #139

Drowning 420

Planet,

we signed for a 420 which will also be delivered a few weeks before yours. However our dealer is suddenly pretty quiet about everything concerning the 420 - test-sailing has been postponed for months!!

The information that the No.1 should be floating by July was - to my knowledge - published by Lagoon itself. But since the last dealers`meeting itīs all surprisingly quiet.

By the way - how many years of guarantee did they grant you?

Many thanks.

Don K.
Old 03-08-2006, 15:35   #140
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Now, now; delays, rumors, fears and anxiety are only natural at this time. If you've ever had a child, then it is not unlike that. However, the 420 has been born, it is floating, and here are some pics.

ID
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Actual 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	180   Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Actual 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	L420 Actual 3.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	182  
Attached Images

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 15:59   #141
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now for a bit of commentary.

1. I think Planet is absolutely correct -- we need to be patient, let the factory do the outfitting, tuning and testing. When they are satisfied, they will then turn it over to the press and boat reviewers. Then, we will get much more information. I would not expect this to happen for at least another month, though.
2. They have scheduled it to debut at the Paris show, Sept 20, quickly followed by Annapolis in early October. However, if they are not confident in it, yet, and that is certainly possible, then don't be surprised if they delay it. If I were in their shoes, I would want to be sure that it is right before I let it out the door.
On to the boat, itself, from what we can see in the pics --

Is that a rubrail I see? They actually listened to their customers and critics and actually put one on? Thank heaven.

Now, I sure would like to see some shots from the stern. How low is she sitting with all those batteries? Did they also decide to put some rails on the boarding steps, too? (That and the rubrail would be too much to ask.)

Sort of picky of me, put I don't care for the "Lagoon" along the stripe.

The large vertical windows and dimensions of the cabin look like it will make for a substantial sized salon.

That gull wing nacelle/bridgedeck is interesting. Maybe those old Prout 45/46's had something to them, after all. I guess we'll see. The reports from the 440 with a similar configuration have been good.

The hatches flush with the deck look nice for the toes. I wonder if they will leak?

ID

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Old 03-08-2006, 16:12   #142

Thanks!

Drifter,

many thanks!!!

That gives us some relief! I don't (want to) know where you got them from, but it helps. Come on, spoil us and send us the rest of them: saloon, galley.....

Your comparison with a child may be correct - but thatīs limited to 9 months!!!

Don K.
Old 03-08-2006, 16:33   #143
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're welcome, Don, but integrity demands that I reveal my source: www.catamarans.com

I think I just got lucky and checked their site shortly after they were posted. I re-posted all they had, so we don't know anything more about the interior. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't much in the interior right now. For testing purposes, I could see where that might be pretty much a mess. Having seen an example of the first of an airplane model at this stage, it is all wires, cables, sensors and test equipment.

One more comment: that helm station looks pretty busy. I wonder how that's really going to work.

RE: Children -- may only be 9 months, but they're about the same price!

ID

Old 03-08-2006, 23:29   #144

Birth Without Episiotomy

420ers,

Hey ID, the instant I saw that rubrail I knew you would be pleased, even before reading your next post. Great!

She looks good to me, real form and function beauty. The forward nacelle has prominence not suggested by the CAD and scale model; interesting, more like the Lagoon LP44 than a Prout I'd say. If that forward nacelle works on the power cat at speed, it should serve well in this application.

This boat has so many innovative features. I have often wondered why, if power cats could blaze along in the open ocean without pounding to death, these solutions were not used on sailing cats. Well here we are. I'll wager she has great heavy weather tolerance.

The photo with the maroon sweatered person, gives the impression of a ginormous saloon. I doubt we will be disappointed by the size of the interior.

ID did you ever find any info on solar or wind power integration?

Yeah, this baby has all her limbs and looks healthy. Mom is doing well. It's great to be alive.

- Congratulations!
Old 04-08-2006, 09:31   #145
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I hadn't thought about the powercat/nacelle comparison, before, but that's a good point. When the boat review folks get ahold of it, I hope they will have some good conditions in which to test. 15 knot winds and flat seas don't tell us much!

RE: solar and wind integration, I've personally decided to hold off on any planning in this area, there's still too much up in the air. With the new info posted on the Catamarans.com site, it looks like the house bank would best be described as a "buffer bank" and the actual supply is from the massive propulsion banks. The charger/inverter takes what it needs from that. My dealer told me that in test runs of the package on a 440, it was making so much from regeneration during sailing that it simply dwarfed what solar panels or a windgen could produce, so the expense of those, while sailing, didn't make sense. While anchored, the battery bank is so large that with normal use we should still be able to get 4 to 5 days before needing to charge (this assumes no A/C use, of course). By that time, the big genset would recharge the banks much quicker. So, his thoughts anyway were that spending the $4 to $5K on a solar/wind installation might not pencil out. Shoot, after 3 or 4 days on the hook, I guess you could go out on a daysail, charge the banks via regeneration, and actually get away with not using much diesel, if any at all. If you do decide to run A/C while anchored, then you would need the genset anyway, and it will charge the banks at the same time.

So, given that, I'm going to wait. I'm hoping that by the time my #75 comes down the line, much more will be know from actual experience and I can be more confident in the final configuration.

ID

Old 04-08-2006, 09:37   #146
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just posted on the Lagoon site:

The Lagoon 420#1 was launched on Tuesday August, 1st in Les Sables dīOlonnes.

The first sea trial took place yesterday in 20 kts of NNW breeze. Sea trial went very well and we were impressed by the great handling of this new Lagoon under sail.

The hull design by Van Peteghem-Lauriot-Prevost provides an even better comfort at sea as well as better sailing performances. We were most impressed by how little pitching movement she has and noticed no slamming. The steering is very smooth.

Leaving the dock in silence continues to amaze! The final version of the electric motors provides extraordinary torque and react very smoothly to action on the throttles.

The soundproofing of the Genset compartment is also very impressive.

This revolutionary model will be exhibited : Avant Premiere in Cannes (13-18th August), La Rochelle; Genoa, Italy; Annapolis, USA; Barcelona, Spain and Paris.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:55   #147

Just an innocent question/observation: from the pictures, the nacelle looks like it comes pretty close to the water. As it is no doubt 'light' (and judging by the antifoul line it is) without water, cruising gear etc, is it actually a trimaran? (OK, that was tongue in cheek, but it looks like the Nacelle would be 'wet' a lot?)
Old 04-08-2006, 18:16   #148

Dragging a third hull

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery...13781351&pic=5

Here is a good view of the old Prout nacelle rear. The important end. Notice the anti-foul paint. Comparison of the elegant, hybrid hull design of the 420 to this, pains me. Although Prout and Broadblue improved on this terrible design, they were and are still conceptually different from the 420. On later Prout models, the nacelle did not extend down past the bridgedeck at all.

The 420 has a powercat like, forward deep-vee which flows into a gull-wing forward bridgedeck to absorb and diffuse wave impart. It does not extend back far and remains above the waterline (God willing). I'm sure this was developed after work with the Lagoon power cats for a decade or so.

Believe it or not, I emailed Lagoon circa 2001 asking about the possibility of using a more powercat like hull design on their sailing cats and they actually responded. Of course they basically said you are stupid (use French accent), don't write us again. So, I take credit for getting Lagoon to think of alternatives (Hey you never know).

Disclaimer - I know nothing more about the 420 than anyone else. I may be full of crap.

The most significant problem in my life right now, besides Bush deceiving me into supporting a criminal war (I was a Republican), His potential involvement in 911, the big strides he's made in killing the bill of rights, our steady drift towards a police state, the doubling of the budget deficit during his reign, the theft of middle class savings by debasing the dollar, the almost certain coming economic crisis, his manipulation of oil markets to benefit his "friends" (ok so I made a lot of money on energy in the last few years)...oops, is what to name my 420?

Will I really name her Planet of the Apes? It's my wife's joke boat name. Most names are so cliche'.

-Apes
Old 04-08-2006, 21:22   #149
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well...nothing like realizing one has been deceived to bring forth some agony. If you're in the mood for a humorous perspective, try:

Or, one could perhaps take some somnalizing solace in the double meaning of "420", which is also a slang term for "marijuana".

Or, if you've got a shrewd lawyer and a copy of your 2001 email recommending the hull design, maybe you could turn that into a substantial discount on your boat!

ID

Old 04-08-2006, 22:40   #150

Great clip!

Now, Intentional Drifter is a superior boat name. I was not aware the term four-twenty was so festive. Being a new Libertarian, I support people's right to do what they choose with their own bodies, although I have little experience with "additives."

ID, I can't believe you scooped me on both the 420 photos and press release. I need to step-up the intensity of my 420 internet surveillance.

Names:
Mari four-twenty
Four-twenty Head
Smokin' four-twenty
Four-twenty Time
Four-twenty Festival
Legal four-twenty
Taste of four-twenty
Ocean's four-twenty

-Apes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: