Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 12:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Dufour catamaran

After Bavaria (Nauthitec), Hanse (Privilege), Benetteau (Lagoon), Jeanneau (to be announced soon), Dufour also couldn't stay out of the booming catamaran market..

https://nlyachts.com/en/used-boats/d...catamaran.html

I am told the #1 will touch water in April and she will be available for charter already in 2018 season.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 13:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Dufour catamaran

No mention of a displacement figure I see. So it isnt something they want to talk about?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 15:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
After Bavaria (Nauthitec), Hanse (Privilege), Benetteau (Lagoon), Jeanneau (to be announced soon), Dufour also couldn't stay out of the booming catamaran market..

I am told the #1 will touch water in April and she will be available for charter already in 2018 season.

Cheers

Yeloya
Would like to see it in comparison to the new Lagoon50!
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 19:04   #4

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Displacement shown in video render was close to 15 ton, so a bit of a porker. But, its a charter design, so......

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 21:47   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

15 ton for 48 foot is very nearly obese
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 22:46   #6

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo

That forward cabin on the owners version looked huge. What is it lately that makes designers think that the must-have item on a boat is a walk-in wardrobe? Maybe it's a charter thing but I just don't get it.
If I have an owner's version I want storage space for clothes, shoes, frocks (not all mine, most belong to the Mrs) and stuff... I don't want less storage and a poor excuse for a walkway to my tiny cupboards.
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 23:38   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Displacement shown in video render was close to 15 ton, so a bit of a porker. But, its a charter design, so......

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Compared to L 450 which weights 16,9 tons, it's not that bad..

They might face though with more serious problems than the weight..I am told that the first couple of hulls will be 4 cabins and they would extend the line pretty fast. I really don't know how they will achieve this.. Dufour had already been bailed out couple of times by french government in the past.
Venturing in a cat business w/out a solid technical and financial resources seems to me very risky even tough the cat market is expanding very fast. That's why all the monohull manufacturers who entered this market have either acquired or merged with existing cat manufacturers.
Umberto Felci is a respected architect on monos, but I don't remember any cat that he designed, I tend to believe that this a different ball game.

Anyway, let's see now what Jeanneau will come up with..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:07   #8
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Jeanneau created Lagoon in 1984 and they both became part of groupe beneteau in 1996. Would be interesting that Beneteau creates a new cat branded Jeanneau ! As we can hardly get more comfort we may get more performance ....

Anyway, keep them coming, my L440 will soon be called a fast cat
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:13   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450
Dufour catamaran

Looks great and there are so many wonderful cats available, why would one remain mono? [emoji16]

However 20cm longer and 10cm wider than a Lagoon 450? What’s in a label? [emoji16]
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:40   #10

So this new Dufour is a 48 footer or a 45 footer ?
Are they joining the current trend to cash on name figure instead of actual length ?
Valiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:25   #11

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:

Cheers

Yeloya
I look forward to reading your always reliable in depth review, Yeloya. I’d rather hold off critiquing until we have more info; enough people bash multihulls as it is. I noticed that the draft is minimal as compared to, say, the Leopard 48 which drafts over 5’. It may indeed have to stay in the charter business.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Compared to L 450 which weights 16,9 tons, it's not that bad..

They might face though with more serious problems than the weight..I am told that the first couple of hulls will be 4 cabins and they would extend the line pretty fast. I really don't know how they will achieve this.. Dufour had already been bailed out couple of times by french government in the past.
Venturing in a cat business w/out a solid technical and financial resources seems to me very risky even tough the cat market is expanding very fast. That's why all the monohull manufacturers who entered this market have either acquired or merged with existing cat manufacturers.
Umberto Felci is a respected architect on monos, but I don't remember any cat that he designed, I tend to believe that this a different ball game.

Anyway, let's see now what Jeanneau will come up with..

Cheers

Yeloya
Don't forget Dufour did introduce and build the original Nautitech line of catamarans in the mid '90s when Olivier Poncin was at the Dufour helm.
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44   #13

Wonder when Outremer will build or buyout a company, to make a Fly bridge 45 - 50 ft
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:13   #14
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Wonder when Outremer will build or buyout a company, to make a Fly bridge 45 - 50 ft
In some interview I heard the boss say they will never do that. Maybe with with another brand, like catana did with bali...

@Yeloya, where did you get that 16.9 tons for the L450 ? WTF ?! you are right, I just checked the website, 16.9 tons for L450F, 14.9 tons for L450S. They both used to be about 15.5 tons. I believe the new spec is a mistake.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46   #15

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
In some interview I heard the boss say they will never do that. Maybe with with another brand, like catana did with bali...

@Yeloya, where did you get that 16.9 tons for the L450 ? WTF ?! you are right, I just checked the website, 16.9 tons for L450F, 14.9 tons for L450S. They both used to be about 15.5 tons. I believe the new spec is a mistake.
one should not believe factory weights or even sail area, it is just number pulled out of air. Absolutely incorrect. For L 400 jib size in manual and brochures quoted as 28m2, but in reality is 35m2. I mean if they said 40m2 instead of 35m2 would understand but underquoting ?! Let me not even start with weight.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, Dufour