Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2009, 09:35   #1

Boat: n/a yet
Send a message via Skype™ to lurocat
Dudley Dix 470, 550

Is there anybody owning one of these boats or currently building one?
Are there any blogs about one being built?
What are the opinions about it, and does anybody know price range for one to be built comparing to Oram 44'?
Thank you
Roman
lurocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 07:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check out these sites:

Dudley Dix Yacht Design - Amateur boatbuilding projects

Dudley Dix Yacht Design - Builders' Websites

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2009, 08:30   #3

Thanks for the links GordMay but i already tried that and there are some projects but not the boats i am interested in.

Thank you anyway
Old 26-12-2009, 04:46   #4

Lurocat,

That is a wonderful design. I would love to see you build one with a nice blog so we can follow your progress.

Cheers
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 05:04   #5

I would like to know as well the self build price on this cats.. but as they say 'if you have to ask for the price, you can't aford it

Pozdrav
Old 26-12-2009, 17:21   #6

I might just do that Abaco, just not quite ready yet to start.
What i've heard plywood & epoxy would come out cheaper than Duflex panels? Need to find the right material for built.
Old 26-12-2009, 23:41   #7

If you built very similar designs out of ply and Duflex, the ply boat should come in cheaper. Possibly not by as much as you'd expect though, especially if you use decent quality plywood, as you'd be buying much more glass and epoxy. And it would be considerably heavier.

But the DD designs you're looking at are much bigger, heavier boats than an Oram 44C. So even if the cost of the materials for the hulls was cheaper, (which I doubt) the costs for the rig, the deck hardware and the sails would be higher. You're also looking at much bigger engines for the DD's - 50 hp versus around 20 for the Oram.

The ply boats will take more hours to build too, so if you have to rent a shed, or are paying labour, those costs will be higher on the ply boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 03:41   #8

Resale value would also be much higher for a boat built with Duflex as the market would consider it more traditional.
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 07:16   #9

Since i've never built a boat there are many building techniques that in the end don't know which is the best for a home boat builder.
Most of the people is comparing them by the time that is needed for a boat to be built.
Is the ply gonna give the same flat bottom as a duflex does, or it can be bent to some extend to get rounded shape bottom as with strip planking wood or foam?

44'cruising cat
I have seen you guys using the Z press for joining the panels, that u borrow or rent from ATL i believe, what would i use if ordering duflex for Europe, i don't they would be sending me a press also!

In which order would you put various techniques,materials going from cheapest to most expensive and then as well by the quality of built.

Thank you
Roman
Old 27-12-2009, 12:47   #10

There is a technique for joining the panels without the Z-press, just using timber battens and screws to press them together while the epoxy cures. It would take a little longer, but results in just as good a join.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 08:27   #11

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurocat View Post
Since i've never built a boat there are many building techniques that in the end don't know which is the best for a home boat builder.
Most of the people is comparing them by the time that is needed for a boat to be built.
Is the ply gonna give the same flat bottom as a duflex does, or it can be bent to some extend to get rounded shape bottom as with strip planking wood or foam?

44'cruising cat
I have seen you guys using the Z press for joining the panels, that u borrow or rent from ATL i believe, what would i use if ordering duflex for Europe, i don't they would be sending me a press also!

In which order would you put various techniques,materials going from cheapest to most expensive and then as well by the quality of built.

Thank you
Roman
Roman,

You bring up a good point, which is that choice of material will to some extent depend on where in the world you are. Duflex will be far cheaper in Oz than Europe. Corecell will be cheaper in N. America than Oz, Joubert marine ply will be cheaper in Europe etc. It may be wise to price the various materials and shipping where you plan to build and then make your choice.

Mike
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 15:37   #12

Hey Mike you got where i was aiming.
I read somebody posting about building in Brazil, and taxes here, can't find it again on which thread it was?
I was thinking about building it in Brazil but was afraid of all the customs issues and taxes!
Old 30-12-2009, 07:45   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Perhaps you are thinking of this project in Parguay, just below Brazil?

DOMINO 20
Old 04-01-2010, 12:54   #14

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
If I may ask here with hijacking a thread. Has anyone seen these boats being built or sailing? They are designed and guilt in a method I am very interested in.

Lavranos // Marine Design

Wooden Boat Kits, Boat Building & Plywood Suppliers - CKD Boats Same boat different pics.

Wooden Boat Kits, Boat Building & Plywood Suppliers - CKD Boats

The reason I am asking. I recently saw an 18.5' runabout built with CNC/Plywood and epoxy. It was a real eye opener for me! It was built by Russell Brown. www.ptwatercraft.com Son of Jim Brown Searunner fame. There is a photo of Jim here. Look close at the details on this boat. It is tabbed so that everything goes together without measuring or cutting. The finish is wonderful. It had the look of a multihull. I could see myself building and being very happy with the medium. I like wood, I am a sucker for wood and I never get warm an fuzzy over glass or foam.
I am wondering if anyone has seen a larger 30 or 40' boat built this way? The boats above are designed for it and have kits being made already.

I cannot post photos at this time, I will try later
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 16:00   #15

I know this wasn't the original point of this thread but here's a question for boat builders and designers.
Why do the cats need to have a walking deck from both sides of the saloons if there can be a forward cockpit with walk-through to the aft cockpit.
With this you could get more living space in the saloon and improve steps going down to hulls?
Maybe wouldn't be the best looking cat but functionality wise, do you need to have access to catamaran sides while sailing?
Are there any designs like this on the market?

Thank you guys