Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 17:30   #16

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Its a little tough docking if you dont have access to the sides,otherwise you could do without side decks,hard to see why you would need more interior space though.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 22:24   #17

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Re: Dudley Dix 470, 550

I have bought the plans for the 550 and am building the Argie 15 to practice before launching (pun intended) into the DH550 monster.

Mick
Old 21-10-2011, 10:18   #18

Best of luck with the build Mick. Do you plan to use Plywood or Duflex?
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 11:44   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Always lots of boatbuilding topics here. Almost all your questions are already answered.
Boat Design Forums
BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 13:35   #20

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

I see you mentioned Duflex. Have you checked Schionning out?

Schionning Designs -
Old 22-10-2011, 00:41   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Best of luck with the build Mick. Do you plan to use Plywood or Duflex?
Going ply. I am working with a few suppliers to get the right quality. I was going to go the hoop ply but it's so heavy. I am convinced that a good Gaboon or even mahogany ply will be more than adequate. Going to use bote-cote epoxy products. I am building a Dudley Dix dinghy to get practiced in timber boats. Will blog the lot too! Ashlingcat.wordpress.com

Thanks
Mick
Old 22-10-2011, 03:02   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Before you get too keen on the building please do some homework.

In particular Dudley Dix may be able to give some sort of estimate of the number of hours to complete. I have no experience of building big cats, and only limited experience of monohulls but the numbers of hours in a boat this big could mean you're an old man before it goes anywhere.

Building where there is lots of cheap labour available may be essential.

Also do cost the entire project: Labour, materials, rent, sheds, engines and other prime cost items...

Rather than ply I'd suggest seriously considering foam/fibreglass or similar. There may be very little difference in final cost.

I saw one large power cat that had been built from substandard ply and it was literally falling apart after a few years to the point that it was unusable. Must have lost the owner millions.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 03:47   #23

Hi Boracay

Yes it is indeed a major undertaking. It will take me between 6-8 years to complete. It is a part of my retirement plan and the build is to me as important as the next sailing phase. Myintent is to do a lap in the boat and it will be something that is a continuation of the build journey.
Regarding the foam, I have a bit of experience with foam and have done a lot of research about a resin infusion with a great guy form ironbark composites. My conclusion is that it is more a case of where you spend your money not how it's done cheaper. A boat this size will cost similar regardless of what construction method (bar carbon). So I am not in major money saving mode I'm in cost spread mode. My belief is that other methods require less points of spend but larger spends. A large infusion is a big hit of costs. I believe is can control cash flow in a better way with wood. The components are less interdependent.
Either way air will eb a big expense and I intend to space it over years timetable.

Again, thanks for the I put...it's all appreciated.
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
Before you get too keen on the building please do some homework.

In particular Dudley Dix may be able to give some sort of estimate of the number of hours to complete. I have no experience of building big cats, and only limited experience of monohulls but the numbers of hours in a boat this big could mean you're an old man before it goes anywhere.

Building where there is lots of cheap labour available may be essential.

Also do cost the entire project: Labour, materials, rent, sheds, engines and other prime cost items...

Rather than ply I'd suggest seriously considering foam/fibreglass or similar. There may be very little difference in final cost.

I saw one large power cat that had been built from substandard ply and it was literally falling apart after a few years to the point that it was unusable. Must have lost the owner millions.
Old 22-10-2011, 14:11   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick C View Post
Hi Boracay

Yes it is indeed a major undertaking. It will take me between 6-8 years to complete. It is a part of my retirement plan and the build is to me as important as the next sailing phase. Myintent is to do a lap in the boat and it will be something that is a continuation of the build journey.
Regarding the foam, I have a bit of experience with foam and have done a lot of research about a resin infusion with a great guy form ironbark composites. My conclusion is that it is more a case of where you spend your money not how it's done cheaper. A boat this size will cost similar regardless of what construction method (bar carbon). So I am not in major money saving mode I'm in cost spread mode. My belief is that other methods require less points of spend but larger spends. A large infusion is a big hit of costs. I believe is can control cash flow in a better way with wood. The components are less interdependent.
Either way air will eb a big expense and I intend to space it over years timetable.

Again, thanks for the I put...it's all appreciated.
Mick
Funny, but I went for Duflex for virtually the same reasons. If I had built in ply, there would have been far less up-front spend. I was worried that I might lose motivation, I might get sick of the project and not finish the boat. But having shelled out $70+k cash commitment up front, there was no alternative - I HAD to finish!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 18:29   #25

Back to the OP...

www.dix470.co.uk and a guy in Washington US is jsut starting one.

Mine stalled, big issues with getting the build done and retaining my marrage.

But such is life...
Old 25-01-2013, 07:40   #26
Marine Service Provider

Yes, there are designs with walk thru cabin on the market. Leopard pioneered this with the first production cat to feature this back in 2010.

The Leopard 44, 48 and 58 all have this feature.

check Welcome to Leopard Catamarans | Leopard Catamarans US

or contact me directly, peterw@leopardcatamarans.com
catabroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 13:48   #27

Boat: Dawson / Pro Cat

Im a newbe on hear, it looks like a wonderful site. I will be starting my Dix 470 in Sep. if all goes well my busy season starts in March so I will have to wate a wile before starting. I will be building in ply. with Polyester coldmold construction. I have not bought the plans yet. I Wish they sold a kit with the Bulkheads only.
shane malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 20:52   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurocat View Post
Since i've never built a boat there are many building techniques that in the end don't know which is the best for a home boat builder.
Most of the people is comparing them by the time that is needed for a boat to be built.
Is the ply gonna give the same flat bottom as a duflex does, or it can be bent to some extend to get rounded shape bottom as with strip planking wood or foam?

44'cruising cat
I have seen you guys using the Z press for joining the panels, that u borrow or rent from ATL i believe, what would i use if ordering duflex for Europe, i don't they would be sending me a press also!

In which order would you put various techniques,materials going from cheapest to most expensive and then as well by the quality of built.

Thank you
Roman
I believe there is now a business in Europe/Germany now producing duflex.
Schonning organised it to make his designs available in Europe.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 00:51   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Kelsall Method

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Roman,

You bring up a good point, which is that choice of material will to some extent depend on where in the world you are. Duflex will be far cheaper in Oz than Europe. Corecell will be cheaper in N. America than Oz, Joubert marine ply will be cheaper in Europe etc. It may be wise to price the various materials and shipping where you plan to build and then make your choice.

Mike
Speaking of this 'choice of materials' I would have a look at the Kelsall method of building as opposed to the Duflex panel methods.
http://www.kelsall.com/UniqueKSS/WhatIsKSS.pdf

...and maybe utilizing plastic honeycomb material rather than foam cores,...and definitely not balsa core,...as I have suggested for this classic looking coastal trawler....

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Trawler Forum - View Single Post - Redesigning the Pilgrim 40 Trawler / Canal Boat

Old 18-01-2014, 09:35   #30

Boat: Freedom 32

Hey Mick,
I built a Woods design cat a few years back. Just a little heads up when looking at ply - Isreali ply is made from Okoume which is lighter and slightly more flexible than the Indonesian ply. The Indonesian is cheaper but on a big boat that extra bit of weight on each sheet adds up.
I went with wood because I was in the industry but consider that it does take a lot longer to fair and there is less demand for a wooden boat. (Resale) If I do it again, I'd probably try to find a mould or do the Kelsell method. Time is a factor as you'll be sacrificing time spent with the family, etc. Mine took about five years and cost a fortune in rent.
Good luck
Craig Cape Town is offline   Reply With Quote