Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 15:18   #1

Boat: 2002 Admiral 38 Catamaran
Dual anchoring

We just took a bareboat charter in Belize. The insisted that in some area's we needed to use two anchors. There was only one anchor mounted to the boat. The other was just loose and just had to manually deploy it and retrieve it. We tried to set the anchors at about 45 degrees from each other. Which found hard to do cause of the weight of the free one. We wern't sure if this was the proper way. And we were at a lose as to how to tie this second anchor to the boat . We decided to make a second bridle and a fix this to the bow cleats. Does this sound like the proper way? Should we have done differently?
Greg
ebisucapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 17:45   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Dual anchoring

It sounds more likely that it may be needed as a stern anchor in some anchorages to eliminate swinging. If you didn't find those anchorages it likely wasn't needed
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 18:10   #3

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

Dual anchoring can mean a few things - for us that often means a second anchor off the stern vs off the bow which we've never done.

Given they didn't give you any directions it sounds like you probably didn't need it... although with charter boats you never know....
geoffr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 18:24   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You didn't say whether it was a cat or a mono, and it might matter. When we use two anhcors off the bow with our mono, we make a sort of "Y" configuration, with the boat, the bottom of the "Y", and the two rodes, the legs. In our case, the main rode is all chain, and we set it first, to starboard, and cleat off (on the centerline, where our mooring cleat is. Then we set the other one off to port (it is a 20 lb. Danforth HT, on about 25 ft of 3/8" chain, backed by nylon 3 strand, which comes over the bow roller and back to the cleat.

From reading monte's other posts, I gather that in that area, there is a lot of bow and stern anchoring, so that is the more likely intent. It was creative of you to make a second bridle.

Ann
Old 24-01-2016, 22:37   #5

Are there reversing currents in some of the anchorages? In that case two set off the bow 180 degrees apart would be more appropriate.

Hard to say without knowing what their concern is.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 03:11   #6
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

This may sound really silly but ....

Why didn't you ask the company you chartered the boat from were to use both anchors and how to use both anchors?

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 25-01-2016, 05:01   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisucapt View Post
We just took a bareboat charter in Belize. The insisted that in some area's we needed to use two anchors. There was only one anchor mounted to the boat. The other was just loose and just had to manually deploy it and retrieve it. We tried to set the anchors at about 45 degrees from each other. Which found hard to do cause of the weight of the free one. We wern't sure if this was the proper way. And we were at a lose as to how to tie this second anchor to the boat . We decided to make a second bridle and a fix this to the bow cleats. Does this sound like the proper way? Should we have done differently?
Greg

Maybe in the drowned keys anchoring in the narrow channels between the mangroves? Now and stern in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 21:31   #8

Ann it was a cat 39 ' lagoon. And seems like our ground tackle was very similar to what you have. I think they just wanted 2 anchors because holding is not good. We did get some good winds one night there. But it happened we were on a morning ball that night.

And to TOT look down ashamed. Yes well they did but after we got out there it things just didn't seem right doing it the way they suggested or we did not understand. I am hard of hearing so might have missed something. They said to just tie off to one bow cleat. This just didn't seem right. Just so you know we all our relatively new to multihull sailing.
Old 26-01-2016, 05:15   #9
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisucapt View Post
Ann it was a cat 39 ' lagoon. And seems like our ground tackle was very similar to what you have. I think they just wanted 2 anchors because holding is not good. We did get some good winds one night there. But it happened we were on a morning ball that night.

And to TOT look down ashamed. Yes well they did but after we got out there it things just didn't seem right doing it the way they suggested or we did not understand. I am hard of hearing so might have missed something. They said to just tie off to one bow cleat. This just didn't seem right. Just so you know we all our relatively new to multihull sailing.

If you had explained yourself CLEARLY maybe l wouldn't ask the question in the first place my friend and for your reference l learn something new about not only sailing but also my boat every time l sail it so it's no big deal 😜

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 26-01-2016, 14:33   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As posted already, there are many different configurations, and means of deployment, for two anchors. Which is appropriate depends upon the situation and what you are trying to accomplish.

Where specifically in Belize did you feel you needed two anchors?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 03:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Are there reversing currents in some of the anchorages? ...
Not really. Some tidal current effect in the Drowned Cayes, but nothing like the Bahamas.
Old 27-01-2016, 04:04   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dual anchoring

I'd imagine if you were anchoring near/amongst reefs a bow and stern set-up would be called for..
Don't know about Beleize but in Europe there's a lot more sensitivity toward bottom damage caused by chains dragging back and forth bottoms and creating ecological chaos..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 04:32   #13

Re dual anchors in Belize:

Almost all popular achorages in Belize can be used just fine on a single anchor.

In many years of sailing in Belize, Ive only used dual anchors a few times there, cases in point:

Tandem Anchors (in line, single rode). To increase holding power when bad weather is expected (the pros and cons of Tandem Anchors has been already beat to death on other threads...so lets not do it again here).

Two off the Bow or Bahamian Moor to limit swing in small/narrow anchorages or when it gets crowded (which is fortunately rare in Belize). In the Drowned Cayes there are many "bogues" (cuts). Some are narrow so limited swing scope is needed, but several are quite wide so unecessary. The narrow bogues in the Drowned Cayes is one of the very few places in Belize where dual anchors might be needed.

TMM used to recommend its charterers always deploy two anchors in tandem in line off the bow (each on its own rode). This was an attempt to compensate for poor anchoring skills of many bare[ly]boaters. I never liked this recommendation. Not sure if they still make this recommendation, but sounds like OPs situation was similar. I suspect tandem anchors was what the charter base was attempting to suggest.
Old 30-01-2016, 11:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
As posted already, there are many different configurations, and means of deployment, for two anchors. Which is appropriate depends upon the situation and what you are trying to accomplish.

Where specifically in Belize did you feel you needed two anchors?
Belizesailor. I didn't feel I needed it really. But Sunsail said to do it and we did as we thought that if the boat did drag and was damaged by going aground insurance might not cover it. We used 2 anchors at Wippari and South Water caye At Hachet caye we were hit with some annoying chop and 20 knot winds and it was recommended two anchors there if mooring balls weren't available. But we did get a mooring ball.
Old 30-01-2016, 11:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
If you had explained yourself CLEARLY maybe l wouldn't ask the question in the first place my friend and for your reference l learn something new about not only sailing but also my boat every time l sail it so it's no big deal 😜

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
I am sorry SV TOT I meant I am hanging my head in shame.

Tags
anchor, anchoring