Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2015, 17:54   #31
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Why then not to build a custom tri at less money instead of terribly high priced DFs?
The Dragonfly is a very high quality boat. If you have one built it would not come cheaper unless it is done by yourself (if you have the skills for that) and most people have to work to pay the boat (and make a living) and have no time for that.

If you are retired and that in Europe will not come under 60 years of age (and is increasing, full pension at 67) you don't want to pass 5 years of the rest of your life making a boat: You want to sail away and go cruising
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:32   #32
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Sydney
Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish
Posts: 589
Re: Dragonfly for passages

A Grainger designed Tri built in Asia would be cheaper and a great boat.
__________________

__________________
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 19:50   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,061
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Why then not to build a custom tri at less money instead of terribly high priced DFs?
I doubt you can equal a Dragonfly for the money. You can do something more spartan with greater risk that you won't be happy with the results.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:47   #34
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: On board in the Chesapeake
Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Posts: 410
Re: Dragonfly for passages

I have to agree. Quality boats don't come cheap. DFs have a set of attributes that sets them apart in the world of tris. If you value the build quality, folding amas, resale value, and performance, the Dragonfly is a good deal.
__________________
Joe & Sue
S/V Presto
jdazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:09   #35
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Dragonfly is a very high quality boat. If you have one built it would not come cheaper unless it is done by yourself (if you have the skills for that) and most people have to work to pay the boat (and make a living) and have no time for that.

If you are retired and that in Europe will not come under 60 years of age (and is increasing, full pension at 67) you don't want to pass 5 years of the rest of your life making a boat: You want to sail away and go cruising
Your approach is clear. But by building a custom boat I meant a choice of materials, equiment and finish to make it reasonably priced. Of course the boat is better to be built by qualified staff but we still have a higher and lower labor costs countries to chose from.

Pricing examples of "racing finish" (no hardwood funriture, etc) tris can be seen here.
__________________
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57   #36
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Your approach is clear. But by building a custom boat I meant a choice of materials, equiment and finish to make it reasonably priced. Of course the boat is better to be built by qualified staff but we still have a higher and lower labor costs countries to chose from.

Pricing examples of "racing finish" (no hardwood funriture, etc) tris can be seen here.
It is not my approach it is the reality. You have the time to build one...or not Most don't have the time. The same can be said regarding mono-hulls and there is very few built by the owners for the same reasons.

Regarding price you have to consider that the Dragonfly 35 has a very high quality, comfortable interior that you would not be able to get unless you resource to professionals. Of course you can dispense that type of comfort but for comparison purposes you have to compare what is comparable and that means a boat with a similar quality interior.

Look at the end of the movie (boat interior):

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:14   #37
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Riga, Latvia
Posts: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It is not my approach it is the reality. You have the time to build one...or not Most don't have the time. The same can be said regarding mono-hulls and there is very few built by the owners for the same reasons.

Regarding price you have to consider that the Dragonfly 35 has a very high quality, comfortable interior that you would not be able to get unless you resource to professionals. Of course you can dispense that type of comfort but for comparison purposes you have to compare what is comparable and that means a boat with a similar quality interior.

Look at the end of the movie (boat interior):
Tks, Polux, Yr comments I fully agree with.

Owning a mono since 2000 and sailing a catamaran since 2009 I do can imagine a difference betweem build quality of "bold name" but still cheap production boats and superior finish of just boat builders, who actually builds rather then sales.

I hv seen DF interior and just added an interior picture of a 30-feeter to compare, just follow same link (previos post) to see it is of interest.

Sure the range I am talking about is more sporty, but this is what I invite You (and others) to think of: in case, say, a smaller model trailerability and speed is You preference, then, as they say, "why to pay more?"

At the same time one can add as much "wood" in interior as he likes, because builders are open for that. Just decide in favor of 100% carbon hull first to cut off wooden interior weigh additions!

DF is no doubts good boat! Met one Italian DF Owner this season in the Med while sitting at the anchor and was "upset" by his ability to stay away from wind/waves by taking more favorable position very close to shore line.
__________________
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:15   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,061
Re: Dragonfly for passages

If you want a realistic view of custom or home built go look at F-boats and compare with any Dragonfly. Like comparing a Lotus to an Aston Martin.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 00:11   #39
Tri
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 93
Re: Dragonfly for passages

On the subject of the thread. We took our DF from Denmark to the Med. At the first beach we anchored after arriving in Menorca we met another owner of a 35 who also had taken his boat from Dk to the Med and was very happy with it for the long passage. I would recommend and repeat it anytime.
__________________
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 06:25   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 100
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
... another owner of a 35 who also had taken his boat from Dk to the Med and was very happy with it for the long passage. I would recommend and repeat it anytime.
Would you also recommend doing the same with a DF28?
__________________
lucdekeyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 09:42   #41
Tri
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 93
Re: Dragonfly for passages

From a sailing perspective - clear yes. From an interior space perspective - probably no but you can trailer it ;-)
__________________

__________________
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
passage

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corsair 37 or Dragonfly 35: Which Is Better for Blue Water Passage Making ? WhataWorld! Multihull Sailboats 78 21-08-2014 20:39
Corsair vs Dragonfly modifier Multihull Sailboats 25 25-02-2012 14:29



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:31.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.