Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2015, 17:54   #31

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Dragonfly for passages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Why then not to build a custom tri at less money instead of terribly high priced DFs?
The Dragonfly is a very high quality boat. If you have one built it would not come cheaper unless it is done by yourself (if you have the skills for that) and most people have to work to pay the boat (and make a living) and have no time for that.

If you are retired and that in Europe will not come under 60 years of age (and is increasing, full pension at 67) you don't want to pass 5 years of the rest of your life making a boat: You want to sail away and go cruising

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 18:32   #32

Boat: Wanted: Schionning Arrow 1360'ish

A Grainger designed Tri built in Asia would be cheaper and a great boat.

Old 07-11-2015, 19:50   #33

Quote:
Why then not to build a custom tri at less money instead of terribly high priced DFs?
I doubt you can equal a Dragonfly for the money. You can do something more spartan with greater risk that you won't be happy with the results.
Old 07-11-2015, 20:47   #34

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

I have to agree. Quality boats don't come cheap. DFs have a set of attributes that sets them apart in the world of tris. If you value the build quality, folding amas, resale value, and performance, the Dragonfly is a good deal.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:09   #35
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
The Dragonfly is a very high quality boat. If you have one built it would not come cheaper unless it is done by yourself (if you have the skills for that) and most people have to work to pay the boat (and make a living) and have no time for that.

If you are retired and that in Europe will not come under 60 years of age (and is increasing, full pension at 67) you don't want to pass 5 years of the rest of your life making a boat: You want to sail away and go cruising
Your approach is clear. But by building a custom boat I meant a choice of materials, equiment and finish to make it reasonably priced. Of course the boat is better to be built by qualified staff but we still have a higher and lower labor costs countries to chose from.

Pricing examples of "racing finish" (no hardwood funriture, etc) tris can be seen here.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:57   #36

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Your approach is clear. But by building a custom boat I meant a choice of materials, equiment and finish to make it reasonably priced. Of course the boat is better to be built by qualified staff but we still have a higher and lower labor costs countries to chose from.

Pricing examples of "racing finish" (no hardwood funriture, etc) tris can be seen here.
It is not my approach it is the reality. You have the time to build one...or not Most don't have the time. The same can be said regarding mono-hulls and there is very few built by the owners for the same reasons.

Regarding price you have to consider that the Dragonfly 35 has a very high quality, comfortable interior that you would not be able to get unless you resource to professionals. Of course you can dispense that type of comfort but for comparison purposes you have to compare what is comparable and that means a boat with a similar quality interior.

Look at the end of the movie (boat interior):

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:14   #37
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to Steamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It is not my approach it is the reality. You have the time to build one...or not Most don't have the time. The same can be said regarding mono-hulls and there is very few built by the owners for the same reasons.

Regarding price you have to consider that the Dragonfly 35 has a very high quality, comfortable interior that you would not be able to get unless you resource to professionals. Of course you can dispense that type of comfort but for comparison purposes you have to compare what is comparable and that means a boat with a similar quality interior.

Look at the end of the movie (boat interior):
Tks, Polux, Yr comments I fully agree with.

Owning a mono since 2000 and sailing a catamaran since 2009 I do can imagine a difference betweem build quality of "bold name" but still cheap production boats and superior finish of just boat builders, who actually builds rather then sales.

I hv seen DF interior and just added an interior picture of a 30-feeter to compare, just follow same link (previos post) to see it is of interest.

Sure the range I am talking about is more sporty, but this is what I invite You (and others) to think of: in case, say, a smaller model trailerability and speed is You preference, then, as they say, "why to pay more?"

At the same time one can add as much "wood" in interior as he likes, because builders are open for that. Just decide in favor of 100% carbon hull first to cut off wooden interior weigh additions!

DF is no doubts good boat! Met one Italian DF Owner this season in the Med while sitting at the anchor and was "upset" by his ability to stay away from wind/waves by taking more favorable position very close to shore line.
Old 08-11-2015, 19:15   #38

If you want a realistic view of custom or home built go look at F-boats and compare with any Dragonfly. Like comparing a Lotus to an Aston Martin.
Old 21-01-2016, 00:11   #39
Tri

On the subject of the thread. We took our DF from Denmark to the Med. At the first beach we anchored after arriving in Menorca we met another owner of a 35 who also had taken his boat from Dk to the Med and was very happy with it for the long passage. I would recommend and repeat it anytime.
Old 22-01-2016, 06:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
... another owner of a 35 who also had taken his boat from Dk to the Med and was very happy with it for the long passage. I would recommend and repeat it anytime.
Would you also recommend doing the same with a DF28?
Old 22-01-2016, 09:42   #41
Tri

From a sailing perspective - clear yes. From an interior space perspective - probably no but you can trailer it ;-)

Tags
passage

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: