Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-08-2008, 17:57   #16

Not a big fan, we've used them on race boats but too much hassle and the leech position is hard to set consistently. My $.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
I have a monohull and have been thinking about retiring my near useless old traveler in favor of a double mainsheet, Any of you have this rig on a monohull?

Old 06-08-2008, 11:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
The Gunboat 35 [an unsuccessful trial balloon] had 2-line controls on the main which offered significant advantages, as listed above. I appreciated the reduced clutter and confusion of a traveller, while retaining fully as much control, particularly when jibing. Using two dedicated self-tailing winches took care of any cost savings, but also enabled controlling the sail from the helm, located immediately behind the mast. That was a very good place to sail a boat.

Old 07-08-2008, 17:11   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat
Double mainsheet it is then. Thanks for all the replies!

Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 18:38   #19
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
I have a monohull and have been thinking about retiring my near useless old traveler in favor of a double mainsheet, Any of you have this rig on a monohull?
I think a lot depends on how you use your boat, your actual rigging plan and the sail system.

I am actually going in the opposite direction from Split to Traveller.

As a schooner, my aft mast boom can not swing out that much because of shrouds so it is mostly a reaching sail.

First Photo: When I first bought the boat it had a single line split system which meant I could only tighten up to below centerline which, close hauled, never gave me a flat shape in a stiff breeze and would flutter at the leech.

Second Photo: I modified this by splitting to 2 separate lines which improved performance close hauled but was a pain to adjust and had a lot of line on the aft deck.

I have now modified the aft swim ladder to form a cradle chock under the tender and we are just welding a short traveller bar aft of the stern rail to go back to a single sheet that can be brought above centerline for close haul.

My priority was to clean up the aft deck while keeping good sail shape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mizzen sheeting.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	4586   Click image for larger version

Name:	small DSC_0032.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	4587  

Old 05-04-2009, 18:28   #20

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
I just stumbled on this thread which is exactly what im looking for.I am doing some modifications to my Lindenberg 26 monohull and as usual one change necesitates another.For those not familiar with these boats they were a very succesfull race boat under the MORC rule which produced some fast and wholesome boats with a useful afterlife as a cruiser but there are a few things that cry out to be changed.The one im dealing with is that they had an absurdly high boom due to some rating loophole,i mean this thing looks ridiculous,i think it could be lowered about 1.5 to 2ft,im due for a new main so this is the time for changes so im going to lower it and also put a 2ft longer roller reefing/furling boom on it resulting in 22ft more area low down.Of course the boom requires a topping lift and the mainsheet tackle has to be on the end of the boom which at 2ft further aft is in the way of the tiller, i dont want a traveller in the middle of the cockpit anyway as it prevents you from sleeping on the cockpit seats so my options are to run a traveller across the top of the transom or go with the double tackle system which is the way im leaning.
So how is it set up? im assuming i will be setting up 2 seperate 4:1 tackles shackled to the toerail near the transom on each side with a single line rove thru both tackles,this boat is fairly wide across the transom,about 6ft i think.
Steve.
Old 10-03-2013, 13:30   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Double Mainsheet vs Traveler

Hi,

I know this is not a new thread, but I need some explanation how the double sheet system is best handled in jibes and tacks.
Could someone be so kind to explain a jibe and a tack step by step? Or point to a video where the procedure can be seen?

How can you dump the main in a sudden gust quickly with such a system?

Many thanks. My new boat has a double sheet system and I had only boats with travelers and single sheet system before.

Many thanks for your help,

Franziska

Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: