Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2015, 21:46   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Dolphin 460

We are moving to France and I'm close to buying a Dolphin 460 in the US. My wife wants to move first and buy in Europe which is probably a better idea but I want the Dolphin. Love the Dolphin and have looked for three years for a boat I love. Just the two of us sailing.

Any thoughts. I like the blue water capability, resale value, overall performance, and liveaboard value along with the shallow water capability when necessary.

She likes the lack of need for a transAtlantic crossing and we can use a deep draft monohull in the Med which is a less expensive boat.

Been looking for three years and it's time to buy. I like crossing the Atlantic after some Carib sailing.
__________________

__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 00:09   #2
Registered User
 
Kiwikat's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Posts: 287
Re: Dolphin 460

Not exactly sure what you are asking here? Yes the Dolphin is a lovely catamaran. I went for a day sail on one once in Australia when she was doing her world circumnavigtion...... nearly bought her but for the timing......

Is it that your wife does not want a catamaran or is worried about short hand sailing a catamaran or you want something cheaper or you are not happy with a monohull or ?????????
__________________

__________________
s/v Stray Cat
Not all those who wander are lost
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 00:51   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,452
Images: 69
Re: Dolphin 460

Nice Cat'. If you want to sail east across the Atlantic, you'd probably be wanting to leave from somewhere further north than the Caribbean.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 04:48   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: Dolphin 460

Airplane ticket for wife, crew for transatlantic?
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 06:25   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Not exactly sure what you are asking here? Yes the Dolphin is a lovely catamaran. I went for a day sail on one once in Australia when she was doing her world circumnavigtion...... nearly bought her but for the timing......

Is it that your wife does not want a catamaran or is worried about short hand sailing a catamaran or you want something cheaper or you are not happy with a monohull or ?????????
No, she is relying on me to pick the boat. Yes, we are worried about the two of us sailing period as she has limited experience on a boat and I don't have a lot of time on a sailboat. Just basic training and certificates which means little.

I'm not worried about a transatlantic but she is.

She has a point about both flying to Europe to live and buying a boat there. It just won't be this one which I like very much.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 06:28   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Nice Cat'. If you want to sail east across the Atlantic, you'd probably be wanting to leave from somewhere further north than the Caribbean.
Going now might be a problem. Sailing the Caribbean now is also problematic but not a fatal flaw in buying.

Leaving from St Lucia seems to be an option but this time of year I don't know. I just don't have that knowledge and experience. Reading about it is good but not the same as knowing from experience.

We aren't ready sailing wise to cross the Atlantic.
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 06:29   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Re: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Airplane ticket for wife, crew for transatlantic?
This is my thoughts, too. We are waiting on a Schengen visa for her anyways.

Thanks all for the responses.

Is this too much boat for us?
__________________
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 14:25   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tortola
Posts: 700
Images: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Re: Dolphin 460

Too much boat: No - they're easily single-handed but its easier to gybe or tack, or "park"
them with a second person.

As for the trip - I think you're on the right lines: whatever you do, do not force or coerce your wife into going - it could put her off the game for life.

Transatlantic is NOT the same as cruising around the Caribbean (or the Med). Even broken into legs (US-Bermuda, Bermuda-Azores, Azores-wherever.you.are.ending up), you are still having to expect up to 3 weeks at sea, out of helicopter range and certainly a long ways away from the USCG! It requires a slightly different mind-set, and the necessary in-date safety gear to be carried.

All the best for the project and, having done this trip both ways several times, if I can be of any help, drop me a line. Tony
__________________
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 16:20   #9
Registered User
 
Multihull's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Europe
Posts: 158
Re: Dolphin 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
We are moving to France and I'm close to buying a Dolphin 460 in the US. My wife wants to move first and buy in Europe which is probably a better idea but I want the Dolphin. Love the Dolphin and have looked for three years for a boat I love. Just the two of us sailing.

Any thoughts. I like the blue water capability, resale value, overall performance, and liveaboard value along with the shallow water capability when necessary.

She likes the lack of need for a transAtlantic crossing and we can use a deep draft monohull in the Med which is a less expensive boat.

Been looking for three years and it's time to buy. I like crossing the Atlantic after some Carib sailing.
I hope you heard about hurricane season.
__________________

__________________
Multihull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: '05 Dolphin 460 Catamaran dlparedes Classifieds Archive 0 10-08-2012 14:49
2006 Dolphin 460 For Sale, BARGAIN! Woodbrook Classifieds Archive 6 11-04-2012 06:30
Sailing a Hunter 460 downwind john jeffrey Monohull Sailboats 5 25-03-2009 05:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.