Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2013, 18:58   #31

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
For example, is there going to be much of a difference in hobby horsing when going to windward in a 32' compared to a 40'?
. Yes - big difference.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 19:01   #32

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Here are a bunch of different blog posts on this topic: http://themonkeysfist.blogspot.com/2...ly-matter.html
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:20   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Does size really matter?

Size definitely matters, but bigger is not always better. Also, length is not the only dimension, there is also beam and headroom. The number of steps into the lower decks, the amount of headroom in the cabins, the width of the shower room, the length of the galley, and so on and so on.

If a boat gets beyond a certain length/girth, visibility declines, as well as manueverability (in general). The severity of that varies by boat design.

As an example, I like lagoons. I wouldn't (at this point) want to handle one larger than 42', though I wouldn't mind living aboard a much larger one than that. Beyond 42', the cabin height is too high to give good visibility from the helm.

42' is more than enough to satisfy my partner, it's as much as I'd want to handle, so 42' is probably as big as I'll ever get. 40' would be enough.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 20:41   #34

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I met a group on a 100ft boat and I asked them if all their stuff made their lives better.

The response was "yes, and after cruising on this boat we could never go back to anything smaller"

So there you have it, bigger is better.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 21:25   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingingIt View Post
In relation to yachts, I mean

Comparing a 50ft to a 48ft, how much extra will it really cost? 2ft extra in marina fees, haul outs, anti foul. Would it be a huge difference or just a little? I realize it depends on which marina, etc but just ballpark?

Thanks
Your question is not quite so simple as you may think. As someone else posted you seem to be interested in two boats but I am not sure which ones.

It is quite possible that a 48 foot boat might have hulls with much more beam than a finer hulled 50 foot boat. The 50 foot boat could have much more netting fore and aft that might be cheaper than a solid deck 48 footer.

The link to the guy who likes FPs does contain some interesting information, some of which I agree with and some I don't.

I sail on a Seawind 1000xl. It has much narrower hulls than an FP in the harbor where the boat is. Quite frankly the FP kinda bothers me because there is an AC on the boat as well as a hot water heater and a micro wave. The guy runs his genset constantly and I don't like the noise. This is a common choice and not everyone agrees on the right answer.

But it does factor into how much maintaining a boat will cost. Are you looking for a condomaran with huge interior space that you will have AC for and a genset to power things. If so you will need a wide hull boat to carry all that stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is how boat speed affects how often you need to haul out and repaint. In the Keys I almost always dive every week or so and scrape some of the growth off, often to attract fish. It is also common for me to be sailing at 10kn or a little better which also helps control the growth. A more sedentary boat might need to be hauled more often.

Not to say something like an FP, Lagoon, or the like does not fit some owners better than a Seawind or Shuttleworth or Woods. This is a case of horses for courses.

Maybe if you told us which 48 footer and which 50 footer you are interested in it would be easier for owners of those specific boats to provide information on costs.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:54   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Quite frankly the FP kinda bothers me because there is an AC on the boat as well as a hot water heater and a micro wave. The guy runs his genset constantly and I don't like the noise. This is a common choice and not everyone agrees on the right answer.
The right answer is that generators are not for running microwave ovens and air conditioners. That is what shore power is for.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:10   #37
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
The right answer is that generators are not for running microwave ovens and air conditioners. That is what shore power is for.
Or....the microwave and the air conditioning are to keep the admiral happy and on the boat, and the generator is deemed a necessary distraction

Tropic Cat
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
Or....the microwave and the air conditioning are to keep the admiral happy and on the boat, and the generator is deemed a necessary distraction
I know both the capt and the admiral and quite frankly the AC is deemed necessary by the capt. This is why I made the comment horses for courses. While I do have a Honda 2000 I have run it once to make sure it works. My Seawind has sufficient solar power for its needs, and Engel, 24/7 fan for the NaturesWay head, lights, and nav stuff.

A real genset and the gas to run it several hours a day not to mention the extra items the genset is needed for mean more space/volume/size which means more costs to maintain.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54   #39

A honda 2000 is little more than an emergency battery charger. If you tip it's exaust away, it is almost impossible to hear. It's there when you have to run a furnace fan all night, recharge a battery, or if you're out at sea and want to watch a little TV for fun.

That's completely different than running a genset in an anchorage or worse a public mooring or marina.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08   #40
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

A Honda 2000'will run a 100 amp battery charger. It will also run a window unit ac almost all night on one gallon of gas. They're amazing little machines that'll do a lot more than you would think.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:46   #41

Boat: Gib sea 43

the honda eu20i is far from whisper quiet especially under a big load

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58   #42

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
A honda 2000 is little more than an emergency battery charger. If you tip it's exaust away, it is almost impossible to hear. It's there when you have to run a furnace fan all night, recharge a battery, or if you're out at sea and want to watch a little TV for fun.

That's completely different than running a genset in an anchorage or worse a public mooring or marina.
Really?little more than emergency batt charger? We have solar to recharge the batteries are also two 50 amp alternators. Non of which will run a 16000 btu mermaid air we have, which the Honda eu 2000 does wonderfully well for 7 hours on 1 gal of fuel. Our tv however will run off a tiny 100 watt inverter as will our computer etc. We have over2000 hours on ours and runs great, i would like a newer one ours is 6 years old.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:57   #43

Quote:
A honda 2000 is little

SNIP
Quite true and that is one thing I like about the 2000, it is easy for an old weak man like me to pick it up with one hand.

But just as size matters with boats it matters with generators as well.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31   #44
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Most of the talk is about living space and cost of ownership. I'd like to know about the impact length has on sailing features. For example, is there going to be much of a difference in hobby horsing when going to windward in a 32' compared to a 40'?
Ask yourself why they call them "Small Craft Advisories."

A 32-footer might struggle in 3-foot chop that my boat doesn't even notice.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:20   #45

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Simple answer in my mind, yes it does. Saying this with tongue in cheek, you spend more time on the hook than sailing so u might as well be comfortable if you can afford it. With that being said, if you coastal cruise and pick your weather a smaller boat is just fine. A friend of mine has been sailing a 27 footer for many years,15 plus, but hardly ever ventures far off shore and sails solo 12 months out of the year. So I guess it's whatever floats your boat with how you are sailing

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote