Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Leopard Catamarans, Robertson & Caine
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 11:02   #1

Boat: Dreaming of a Leopard 42/43
Does Anyone Want a Leopard as Badly as We Do ?

I think I saw a thread a while back concerning fractional ownership or people looking to partner up on a cat ownership. Our kids are still young (17 & 12) but we are getting old...fast. We really want to buy a cat and take off full time but its not realistic. Is yacht ownership in a charter company a better idea or trying to find someone who would want to be part owner?
been bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 21:04   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Are you thinking you want to take off now and home school?

If your thinking of buying now so you have the boat for when your children are out of school, that's a long time from now. Charter companies have a glut of cats right now. I'm sure they would be happy to sell you one and put it in their fleet, but whether it would pay for itself is questionable. You can charter second tier cats in your size range for $4000/week if you negotiate.

There is a Leopard user group here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oup-11488.html

It's pretty active so you may get some information there. To answer your first question, no for me. I'm a Fountaine Pajot guy.
Old 10-04-2010, 17:04   #3

Boat: No boat yet - interested in 40ft Cat - possibly like to share / partner
I was putting feelers out for a cat share - we are still interested in doing that and would be looking for spring 2011 (plans got delayed) We are looking to use a boat in the low season only - summer months so looking for a partner who wants it for the high season - winter months
ctsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 18:46   #4

Boat: Dreaming of a Leopard 42/43
It would appear that we are also interested in the same boat ownership/partnership as you. Although I wrote that we were looking at 43-45' Leopards we are now thinking smaller ie. 40'. We like the Leopard best but are willing to look at other boats as well. Our prefered sailing grounds would be the Caribbean. Where would you be sailing in the summer?
been bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 21:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I currently own a boat in charter with the Moorings. The reason I went with charter management instead of factional ownership is that I am the only owner. I can use the boat when ever I want I own it outright myself in the end. There's no having to coordinate time with other owners, or needing to figure out how to deal with a jointly owned boat when the contract is up.

Basically for me the deal is that guaranteed income will pay back about 43% of the price of the boat, so I'm effectively buying the boat for under 60% and I have no insurance, dockage or any other overhead and can use the boat 4-6+ weeks per year. If I take their guaranteed trade or sell the boat for that, it will come out that I end up using the boat 5 weeks a year for about the cost of a 10-day charter. It does not break even. If it did, everyone would be doing it. You'd have to contact Tui Marine to find out the latest deals for Sunsail or the Moorings.

Personally, if I was going to do fractional ownership, I'd want to do it through one of those companies that specialize in it. I think the issues of finding 4-5 share holders, dealing with insurance, repairs, etc on your own could turn into a nightmare.

If you missed it there is a thread here about the Leopard 38 which might give you some things to think about concerning Leopard Cats:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...8-a-37936.html

A shared system has given me access to a much nicer boat for less money, with fewer headaches than traditional ownership. Of course, the trade-off is you are stuck with charter-like cruising.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:55   #6

Boat: No boat yet - interested in 40ft Cat - possibly like to share / partner
Likewise Caribbean for sailing grounds at least to start - who knows where the wind blows you eventually! We have checked out a number of boats at boat shows and marinas/owners and FP was #1 design, Leopard a close 2nd but we are open. 40-42 ft seemed a good size - we are only 2 hubby and me.
ctsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 03:42   #7

Fuel consuption on 38

Forgive me for butting in. I am looking at a leopard 38 with 2x 40 Hp Westerbekes not sure what the fuel consumption would be. I plan to sail and motor from Gulf to Brisbane 2x40hp sounds like a lot to me someone told me 2Lph each motor that dosen't sound right can you help also what do you think of the hight of the beds. Can't get to see one here in Brisbane.
rustyrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 12:36   #8
Marine Service Provider

yep, i am on my second leopard.had a 45 for 2 years and just bought a 2003 47! They are great boats
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 00:18   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to multihull1 Send a message via Skype™ to multihull1
Hi Chris
where could i get some more info on the 45 please looking at one in Australia
multihull1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:10   #10

I have a Leopard 46. Love it! Bigger than my condo. A full time job though keepin it clean. I am planning to spend the next month with 3 people prepping it out and detailing it. Really a sexy cat. I get board easily and naturally try to find new options but each time I can't find another boat that covers all basis for the price. Would have to pay double to start hitting anything that could get me interested. Chilling out and having options is what makes it for me. We get 8-9 knots often loaded so all is good.
Tropical Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:24   #11

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
Maybe you folks who want a Leopard should go to a boat yard where they store cats and have a look at how Leopards, and only Leopards have to be blocked. I'll give you a hint.......all other cats can sit on their keels on the ground.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:30   #12

mine sits on the ground without blocks....?
Old 10-05-2010, 06:34   #13

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Home View Post
mine sits on the ground without blocks....?
If you go to a yard say in the caribbean that stores a lot of cats you will find that the Leopards are blocked differently. They cannot carry their weight on the keels only unlike many other cats.
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:36   #14

Older ones? or Leopard 46? It is clearly stated they can, and I have done, with a brace on each end of course. Hmm Anyone else?
Old 10-05-2010, 23:48   #15

What is the big deal are you saying they have no strength in the keels. May be so they were meant to be in the water. Dis someone say they read you can sit them on the keels.
rustyrusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard