Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 10:39   #61

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Does anyone know of a good quick system to dump the main with a double mainsheet

At last, the new mainsheet system.
Installed it today at anchor.
Will test sail tommorow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438709812979.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	106705   Click image for larger version

Name:	1438709823053.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	106706  

Old 04-08-2015, 12:57   #62

Re: Does anyone know of a good quick system to dump the main with a double mainsheet

Reading David Lewis books I learned that with his cat Rehu Moana (I think it was) when he was running in strong winds he would pull his jib in tight with both sheets so it was in line with the mast. Then when the main which was out to one side started to turn the boat the wind would push on the tight flattened jib and like a weather vane keep the boat straight. I sometimes do that in my mono and it certainly works, though not in the gales he sailed in. He developed the idea and had made a flat heavyweight triangular head sail set forward ( not hanked on ) but across the boat rather than in line. With that and at times no main his boat would happily self steer down wind.
Dr David Lewis wrote quite a few books that I can recommend. Children of Three Oceans was one of his first. Ice Bird was a later one describing his solo circumnavigation of Antarctica.
I had the pleasure of meeting him when at age 90 he was making wooden masts for his last boat and adventure.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:17   #63

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
At last, the new mainsheet system.
Installed it today at anchor.
Will test sail tommorow.
That looks great Franziska, and is very similar to the system we use. If I might make one suggestion? Your sheets make an approximately 120 degree bend at the blocks at the base of the mast which will load them very heavily. You could split the load between the blocks at the base of the mast and the blocks at the forward end of the boom by moving the latter as close to the mast as possible, creating a roughly 90 degree sheet angle at both sets of blocks.

Another issue you may or may not have is that by using fiddle blocks in a 4 part system with the becketed block at the boom, the base of the upper blocks will tilt forward under tension, causing the sheet to rub on the splice on the becket, creating friction. You can eliminate this by swapping the blocks, putting the becketed blocks on deck and the non-becketed blocks on the boom with a single block just forward of the fiddle block on the boom. This would give you a 5 part system and eliminate the 'block tilt' and chafe issue.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:48   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Reading David Lewis books I learned that with his cat Rehu Moana (I think it was) when he was running in strong winds he would pull his jib in tight with both sheets so it was in line with the mast. Then when the main which was out to one side started to turn the boat the wind would push on the tight flattened jib and like a weather vane keep the boat straight. I sometimes do that in my mono and it certainly works, though not in the gales he sailed in. He developed the idea and had made a flat heavyweight triangular head sail set forward ( not hanked on ) but across the boat rather than in line. With that and at times no main his boat would happily self steer down wind.
Dr David Lewis wrote quite a few books that I can recommend. Children of Three Oceans was one of his first. Ice Bird was a later one describing his solo circumnavigation of Antarctica.
I had the pleasure of meeting him when at age 90 he was making wooden masts for his last boat and adventure.
Ah--what you're talking about does work. We've often sailed downwind with tight sheeted staysail and with our foresail (monohull / schooner rig) set to the wind. It works well in high winds. For less winds, we put up the jib and do the same with it.