Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 01:44   #16

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat
Re: Do I need bowsprit for a screecher?

Thanks a lot. Seems like a bowsprit+the bobstay is the best option. Will call a rigger to check my rig
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 10:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Could you rig a bridle from each hull like this Manta?
Attachment 118842

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
We use a bridle from the two bows, with lines rigged to winches, for both our screecher (on that Selden 2500, I believe it is) and our assymetrical spinnaker (in a "kite condom").

This is NOT the simplest and most convenient system to use, but it does by far provide the greatest variability of sail trim and uses for the sail. With this system we have found it to be our single most favorite sail. By varying the position and tension - windward to leeward, high or low, we use it anywhere from near close-hauled, like a drifter or extra-light #1 genoa, in light air, to dead downwind, often wing-on-wing with the genoa where it can fly almost like a blooper. With the wind behind the beam we often furl the main and use it alone or with the genoa.

The comment about halyard tension is on-target - luff tension is important for getting a good tight furl (and also good for unfurling)....as well as when using it at closer wind angles. But with the (bridle) tack lines it's easy to put that tension in and ease it. However, one must pay attention to the lead and tension on the continuous furler line; when the position of the furler (tack) changes so too does the tension - so one must adjust it also. After a few instances of stretching it way too tight or having it tangled or ineffective because too loose, we adopted a procedure to always put the tack in the same place (usually just to one side of centerline, on the same side as the furling line is led).

If you're the sort, like me an old racing sailor, who likes to constantly play the sail trim and try different combinations, you'll love this. But if you just want simple and easy, go with the fixed position furler on a bowsprit.
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:01   #18

wcapital:

- thanks for explanation. I have the bridle to and, together with ATN aspinaker (in condom as well) It's also my favorite rig. But, the kite is free flying... tensioning the luff for the screecher could be different exersize. And, the haliyard block, if it's not in line with the furler... I must fix it somehow ( a U-bolt, at least. I'll call a rigger, in any case, will ask his opinion, before invest any cents
Old 14-02-2016, 13:02   #19

If I was doing it, I'd rig a prodder on a pivot, similar to a spinnaker pole setup. (But much shorter) Have a bridle running through a block underneath attached to waterstays. And a couple of control lines led to the cockpit.

I wouldn't be welding anything to the forebeam though. A bolted on mounting.

This would give the option to move the tack to windward for deep running or to leeward for shy running.

And allow the prodder to be easily removed or folded in, to allow better access to furling gear, and in case some marina wants to bill you extra for the length.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:25   #20

Boat: LAGOON 400

another variation

https://youtu.be/1yj9il1uetQ
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 13:49   #21

On ours (St. Francis 44) we use the spin halyard for the screecher; and the luff of our screecher is just short enough to allow full tension with this hoist and the furling drum straight to the crossbar (to an eye about 1/3 off from centerline, or both bridle lines are really cranked in)...putting the tack still about where you'd want it for a light genoa sailing close to the wind. The halyard exits just above the headstay, so everything flies outside of the stay.

I've considered trying to fly the a-spin and screecher together as a giant wing&wing, but with only one spin halyard (and maybe a little bit of cautious common sense) have never tried it...
Old 14-02-2016, 13:50   #22

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails_Drifter-Reacher.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	118932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails_Genoa&Reacher_BroadRchng-DblHead.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	118933  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sails_Genoa&Reacher_Downwind-W&W.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	118934  
Old 14-02-2016, 15:26   #23

Using the bridle for the assym, what works best for jibing? Do you do an inside jibe?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 18:23   #24

I've always done inside ones, when I do them at all.....however, I've not done many with the a-spin (more often that way with the screacher). Sailing in the trade winds, as we mostly have done, gybes are pretty infrequent. And given that much of the time there's only 2 of us, or 2 + a few more who are inexperienced, if flying the spin I usually prefer to douse it (just into the condom) and re-set it once settled w/ new wind or course. When cruising the extra speed/time isn't worth the headache of a gybe gone awry when shorthanded. In decades of racing with full crews I've had my share of crash gybes and exciting cluster-fcks, and as I get older I'm less thrilled to challenge myself by inviting more of them when shorthanded!

The bridle does make for a little more that can go wrong in a gybe, but usually then I'd haul them down tight, and depending upon the wind and course, maybe bring it close to one bow or the other to leave more space between the headstay and the sail. I've also found that having the genoa out, maybe just partially unfurled, is helpful to keep the collapsed sail from sagging back thru the foretriangle (which CAN cause a C-fck if it decides to hourglass around the forestay!)....
Old 15-02-2016, 01:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
If I was doing it, I'd rig a prodder on a pivot, similar to a spinnaker pole setup. (But much shorter) Have a bridle running through a block underneath attached to waterstays. And a couple of control lines led to the cockpit.

I wouldn't be welding anything to the forebeam though. A bolted on mounting.

This would give the option to move the tack to windward for deep running or to leeward for shy running.

And allow the prodder to be easily removed or folded in, to allow better access to furling gear, and in case some marina wants to bill you extra for the length.
- good idea, indeed ! I may probable install a longer pole, so it will go outside my hulls and operate it wiwnard/leeward for better sail trim...and "fold it" inside marina. But, I think I should add pivoting block to the mast for haliyard. So, the luff will be alined with prodder & block

Tags
bowsprit