Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2012, 08:34   #61

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Do Cat Owners Actually Beach Their Cats ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
Sorry here is the pic supplied by FP.

Cheers
Lisa
Yes, very similar to how I block my WildCat, but I put more blocks under the keels just to distribute the load a bit more and jack stands or blocks under the hulls fore and aft just to make sure she stays stable.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 08:55   #62
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Do cat owners actually beach thier cats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Unless the blocks are placed directly under structural bulkheads and carefully leveled so as not to produce a twisting moment on those bulkheads, not sitting your boat on its keels is very bad practice - particularly on a boat the size of yours. Personally, I would not allow it to be stored that way if it were my boat.

Your keels are definitely designed to support your boat and I would wager that FP would warn you to not solely support their boats blocked by the hulls.

Mark
I will send FP an e-mail and see what they say. The design of the Marquises is a little different from their regular productions boats in that the hull is manufactured in two halves and then joined along the bottom seam. That seam projects upwards about 12" and helps form a series of stringers on which the floor boards rest. So the bottom is very strong.

These are good things to know for sure. Thanks for the info.
Old 19-03-2012, 08:58   #63

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

All FP's that I know of can rest on their keels.
And they beach nicely also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe on the beach 1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	38896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe on the beach 2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	38897  

Name:	Mahe on the beach 3.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	38898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe on the beach 4.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	38899  

Name:	Mahe on the beach 4A.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	38900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe on the beach 5.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	38901  

Name:	Mahe on the beach 6.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	38902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mahe on the beach 7.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	38903  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 16:50   #64

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

I am building a plywood 40' Snell Easy cat, and am currently working on the keels. The boat is designed to sit on the keels, and I am concerned about the abrasion that has been discussed.

What about fitting a "shoe" to the bottom of the keel? The keels are timber and epoxy coated, and I am thinking of taking them to a metalworker to have 316SS shoes made up now in 5mm plate, before the keel is fitted.

Would it be worth the effort and the $1000?

Chris
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 16:58   #65

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Manta must have changed the design as there was a Manta that hit a reef in the Keys, holed a keel and was taking on water because of it.
No, the Manta design has not changed. It is always possible to hole a keel and take on water no matter the bulkheads. The water tight compartments are fore and aft - a puncture through the side of the keel in the middle of the keel would let in water. This would be similar to puncturing a hole into the side of the hull where the bow and stern watertight bulkheads would not help.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 16:59   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-bee View Post
I am building a plywood 40' Snell Easy cat, and am currently working on the keels. The boat is designed to sit on the keels, and I am concerned about the abrasion that has been discussed.

What about fitting a "shoe" to the bottom of the keel? The keels are timber and epoxy coated, and I am thinking of taking them to a metalworker to have 316SS shoes made up now in 5mm plate, before the keel is fitted.

Would it be worth the effort and the $1000?

Chris
There is only one person who should answer that question, and that is Peter Snell, give him a call or email and ask him.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 00:53   #67

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Depends how far you've got in the build. Adding a decent bit of timber, or GRP tube, onto the bottom of the water tight keel, all encased in a streamlined fairing, even a pod like a bulbous keel, wouldn't hurt and is sacrificial if you get the connection right. Extra layers of GRP if it's nearly done.
Sitting on blocks on the hard actually needs a tripod arrangement to avoid stressing the hulls, one against the other. Softer pads would allow the stiffness in the hulls to rule.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:47   #68

We have a Fountain Pajot Lipari it sits on its keels which are also sacraficial. I have been to the factory and the stand on their keels and come with instructions on where to place timber supports if you stand them on their keels on the hard.I have photos of all their cats standing on their keels but I don't know how to attach a photo.
Caprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 03:42   #69

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
All FP's that I know of can rest on their keels.
And they beach nicely also.
I have a friend of mine who owns a Prout and two years ago, standing with his Prout on the hard up on the marina, he suddenly heard a sharp crack from the boat beside him.
I showed to be the keel on one of the hulls, that crashed into the hull on that Fountaine Pajot. When asking what had happened, he was told that this was the second time it happend on this fairly new built FP. Last time it was the other hull that broke, and since the boat was pretty new, FP payed for fixing it. Didn't know how it would be this time.
The later explanation was that the FP:s are not strong enough built to stand on their keels without extra support.
Looking at their keels, it is not much to stand on...compared to my Quasar for example.
Old 20-03-2012, 04:13   #70
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

FP was pretty quick with a reply:

Dear Sir,

the boat could stand on her keels on the hardstand. the best is also to install a prop at the bow and at the back of each hull.
The boat is beachable, just be careful while walking at the bow if she just stay on the keels.

regards

Fountaine Pajot customer Service.

Well, that's good to know. In regards to tolly's story, maybe I won't believe it since it's 3rd hand. That is why I've spent two years thinking mine couldn't.

Thanks.
Old 20-03-2012, 04:14   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly

I have a friend of mine who owns a Prout and two years ago, standing with his Prout on the hard up on the marina, he suddenly heard a sharp crack from the boat beside him.
I showed to be the keel on one of the hulls, that crashed into the hull on that Fountaine Pajot. When asking what had happened, he was told that this was the second time it happend on this fairly new built FP. Last time it was the other hull that broke, and since the boat was pretty new, FP payed for fixing it. Didn't know how it would be this time.
The later explanation was that the FP:s are not strong enough built to stand on their keels without extra support.
Looking at their keels, it is not much to stand on...compared to my Quasar for example.
Tolly,
As I said I have been to the factory in France and all the FP Cats are standing on their keels and come with manufacturers instructions for same. This would be ridiculous if they weren't designed to do so and as manufacturer I would think they know.
Old 20-03-2012, 04:36   #72

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Tolly,

Next time ask the friend of a friend of a friend of a friend if he woke up from that dream he was having. All FP's I know of rest on there keels and the FP factory also states this fact.

Don't believe everything you think.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 04:50   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
FP was pretty quick with a reply:

Dear Sir,

the boat could stand on her keels on the hardstand. the best is also to install a prop at the bow and at the back of each hull.
The boat is beachable, just be careful while walking at the bow if she just stay on the keels.

regards

Fountaine Pajot customer Service.

Well, that's good to know. In regards to tolly's story, maybe I won't believe it since it's 3rd hand. That is why I've spent two years thinking mine couldn't.

Thanks.
Since it was an eye witness I talked with (my friend), I would call it a 1:st hand story. Of course my friend could be mistaking or just lying, even though I have no reason not to believe him. What other people think of the story I really don't care, but it might be a clue that FP recommends to have extra support when on the ground and specially if walking on the bow. Maybe that was what happend with that FP.
Still, looking at the keels on the FP:s I have seen, they look quite short and with sharp corners, which doesn't feel strong enough.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:09   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Tolly,

Next time ask the friend of a friend of a friend of a friend if he woke up from that dream he was having. All FP's I know of rest on there keels and the FP factory also states this fact.

Don't believe everything you think.
There are friends you can believe and friends that you can't believe, and your words tell me what friends you are used to.
Regardless of that, obviously I stepped on a more than one's toe, looking at the reaction.
Old 20-03-2012, 05:13   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly

Since it was an eye witness I talked with (my friend), I would call it a 1:st hand story. Of course my friend could be mistaking or just lying, even though I have no reason not to believe him. What other people think of the story I really don't care, but it might be a clue that FP recommends to have extra support when on the ground and specially if walking on the bow. Maybe that was what happend with that FP.
Still, looking at the keels on the FP:s I have seen, they look quite short and with sharp corners, which doesn't feel strong enough.
Tolly,
Read my lips! They stand happily on their keels I have seen it. The props the factory talks about are for balance only they use an arco prop on diagonally opposite keels purely for balance and that is the point the factory is making it is a safety measure to stop the boat tipping forward. The props have no other structural significance.