Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 19:45   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Differences between Lagoon 440 and 450

We have been in our L450 beside an L440 in Las Palmas the Canary Islands. Both were loaded up, ready to cross the Atlantic with 5 people and lots of provisions and toys for long term cruising. We had 700l of water and 1000l of diesel. Our 450 was still floating high above the water line while the 440's transom was deep in the water. So I believe the load carrying capacity of the 450 is bigger. Standing behind the two boats one could see that the hulls on the L450 are much wider and the deck is level out to the side. The L440 deck steps down. This must account for much more interior living space and would explain the hight load carrying ability.

We went out for a demo sail of a Parasailor on the 440 and I was surprised how uncomfortable the fly bridge is compared to the L450. Underway, we spend 100% of our day time on the fly bridge and go about 50-50 in time between fly bridge and nav-station for our single-person night watches.

We installed a removable cover for the fly bridge cutout in the cockpit roof to prevent the rain to come into the cockpit and made our own roll-up vinyl windows and sun screens around the cockpit. Both will keep even driving rain out.

For us it is clear that the 450 provides the more comfortable living space.

As for performance - we started the Atlantic crossing in 20 knots winds, 3 meter waves on beam to close reach then broad reach. After about 6 hours we were within 3 boat lengths of the 440. Unfortunately, they had to divert as they discovered a hydraulic leak in the autopilot so we can not compare the long term performance. We crossed the Atlantic averaging 185Nm/day in strong wind conditions. We had up to 4m waves and up to 42 knots of true wind. Almost every night we saw squalls with windspeed in the lower 30s. Still, we would have proper sit down lunches, even with glasses on the table.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 20:08   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Differences between Lagoon 440 and 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowgas View Post
Thanks for your thoughts /input. Just a thought on your ladder, can it be anti-fouled or copper coat anti fouled?
Yes, Apparently some have used a 'white anti-foul' on the gel coated area. I am not sure I want this at a place where one is accessing the water. Its a small thing but does irritate me.

Lagoon are now shifting their masts aft on many models and I am sure it wont be long before this will be the way to go on all models. The narrower main and greater genoa makes sailing a lot more comfortable.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lagoon, Lagoon 440