Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2008, 19:57   #1

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Diferent type of stove

Hi guys i've noticed that everyone seems to have a propane or other gas powered stove, I was wondering why nobody seems to have an electric stove which with wind generators would be feesable esspecially at the dock, has this ever been tried or has noone thought about it?????
Old 05-07-2008, 20:11   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
You have a wonderful imagination.

Don't give up.

But after only 3 hours of sleep, get some rest and do a little research.

It may have something to do with how energy is stored.........using physics as we know it today.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 20:20   #3

Thanks Therapy but the reason i'm up is because I can't seem to get to sleep again i'm to tired (how ironic can't sleep because i'm to tired) hahahaha
Old 05-07-2008, 21:20   #4
GreatKetch

As THERAPY was suggesting, there is simply not enough energy in wind tubines to cook with.

TO be more specific, look at the power needs of an electric stove, and compare it to the output of a boat sized wind generator. You'll quickly see the mis-match.
Old 05-07-2008, 21:29   #5

okay I see so you would need something like a wind field turbine okay cool are there smaller stoves than they sell at homedepot because that would be good to be able to use electricity for your stove insted of something that could blow your boat to kingdom come. Oh, Therapy by the way i'm not as delirious as I might seem I can fuction perfectly fine sometimes i'm even more attentive with only 30minutes of sleep a week so don't worry i'll be fine =)=)=)
Old 05-07-2008, 22:34   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Using a vessel's precious stored electrical capacity to cook is like using the vessel's fresh water supply to wash the topsides.

TaoJones
Old 05-07-2008, 22:36   #7

yeah that makes sense okay
Old 05-07-2008, 22:38   #8

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Otter View Post
okay I see so you would need something like a wind field turbine okay cool are there smaller stoves than they sell at homedepot because that would be good to be able to use electricity for your stove insted of something that could blow your boat to kingdom come. Oh, Therapy by the way i'm not as delirious as I might seem I can fuction perfectly fine sometimes i'm even more attentive with only 30minutes of sleep a week so don't worry i'll be fine =)=)=)
G'day young fella,

Your idea is not as crazy as it may sound. As you may be aware, some manufacturers of marine wind generators also sell hot water heating element's to use the excess energy from the turbine during a decent blow. There's no reason why similar principle's couldn't be applied to a very small oven. But like others say, you need to do the physic's/math etc, also a lot of trial & error (innovation). Btw: if you do come up with something viable, then don't discuss it here or anywhere, go straight to a patent lawyer.

I'm going to ramble on a bit here. You kinda remind me of me (I'm twice your age) when I was young (I was fishing full time at 15). I come up with crazy idea's all the time (mostly in software engineering). Some of them don't work & some of them do, but they force you to expand your mind "outside the box". The key is to always record your idea's to paper (or electronic file) - even if you think they're stupid, why? Because at a later date another idea will come into your head & may be relevant to a previously recorded idea.

Btw: never go to sleep before you've recorded your idea's to paper, you may not remember them again in the morning.

Edit: just to add, forget the critic's, they're not paying your bills
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 22:51   #9

Alright thanks ill keep trying (mabye my dad won't mind me borrowing his tools again=) )
Old 05-07-2008, 23:18   #10

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
That's one thing I don't miss, electric burners. We had gas in our house in seattle, I never really appreciated it until we moved to florida and we got stuck with an electric range, i had a hell of a time getting used to cooking on the that piece of crap (not sure I ever really did), I basically changed burners everytime I wanted to change pot temp. By the time the burner cools down you already burned the dish.

One thing I'll never have again is an electric stove and yes I do all the cooking, i like to cook, so yea.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 23:23   #11

latitude the reson i'm asking is cause i would prefer to cook than go out to eat, besides thats all i've ever used is electric except on camping trips.
Old 05-07-2008, 23:26   #12

Well we very rarely go out to eat, but anyone who enjoys cooking (especially if you like to cook in a wok ) an electric range makes life much less enjoyable IMHO
Old 05-07-2008, 23:32   #13

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
What would be cool is a hybrid type stove/oven. Whether it's feasible - I simply don't know. I know when I plan to "bugger off" sailing, that I'll have a small lpg stove/oven & will probably do most of the cooking in port as "pressure cooking" & then home canning it. This way I can leave port with full lpg cylinders. However, if I'm on the pick in a blow somewhere then switching over to an electric element to use excess energy from a wind generator makes sense.
exfishnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 23:40   #14

To me it seems like a waste, most of us do everything we can to get away from needing more electricity. If you put a stove in that draws 20 amps (that's prolly underestimating it's draw) , for a guy like me that only has a 30 amp shore power inlet that either means i'm going to have to shut most of my stuff down when I run the stove (especially my a/c so I'll be heating up the galley and not running my a/c) or add a second 30 amp or one 50 amp input, which of course here at my place would double my electricity and cost me more then the propane we currently use. We have propane stove, oven and hotwater heater, we definitely don't conserve, we cook and bake a lot as well as take long showers (when we're on the dock) and we still only manage to empty one 20lb cylinder every 5 weeks, give or take, we used far less when we lived on the mooring ball.

Ok here's a west marine example of an electric range:
West Marine: Princess Electric Range - 3-Burner, 120V AC Product Display

If i'm reading that right it's 3.2kw, which is about 26 amps give or take... i think. So there ya go, gives you an idea of the power you would need to run that sucker. I'd have to shut the whole boat down just to cook dinner.
Old 05-07-2008, 23:53   #15

If you used solar panels and wind generators and used the extra to work the stove wouldn't that work