Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-11-2008, 16:13   #61

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
John Connel,
Dickenson diesel stoves are very popular in the Pacific Northwest (US / ALASKA, & CANADA). The stove throws a lot of heat, as well as being a place to cook. Just like grandma's wood stove. Most commercial fishing boats here have them. Good for a cool wet environment. I have a 53' commercial boat, and it has the Atlantic model.
bill

Old 08-11-2008, 15:09   #62
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I spent alot of my life cooking on wood and coal stoves. I have an old Dickinson Bering diesel cookstove, but would like to change it or wood (not feasible) and am trying to figure out how to change to a pellet stove. See wood vs diesel thread Wood vs Diesel Cook Stovewood vs. diesel cook stove - SailNet Community

Old 08-11-2008, 18:54   #63

Boat: Lagoon 37 Catamaran
The best of both worlds is a compromise. I have cooked profesionaly for about 12 years, There are reasons the all commerical kitchens use gas. To many to list here, but the biggest is cost and manageabilty. Gas gives you the most BTUs per dollar, and is the easiest to use.
We have a force 10, 3 burner stove with an oven and broiler. It cooks better than a lot of commerical stoves, most home gas stoves, and all electric stoves. That being said, I bought a small two burner "Buffet Range" (it is a two burner electric stove that sits on the counter top) at Wal Mart for about $30. We used it in another marina where we paid a flat fee for electric hook up. We would heat water and all that on it just to save gas. When it came to cook food we would use the propane stove. It kind of gave the best of both worlds. Now we have a meter and pay by the KWH, so the gas is all we use now. It is much cheaper than the electric power.

You can get shunts that divert excess DC power into certain things, most divert it into the water heater (set up with a DC powered element) and/or frezzer. These are places that can always use extra power.

An approx converson is 1 amp =100 wats, or 10 amps = 1000 watts, ie... a 3kw generator puts out 30 amps.

Dan

S/V Mother Ocean
S/V Mother Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 14:52   #64
Eternal Member

Even when I lived in a real house I preferred not to cook on electric, 1/2 the year I opted to cook on the wood stove. I can't afford to decide what I want to do on my boat and then just go out and buy something. I need to use what I have. Propane stove top, sea-swing w/ bottled gas, propane BBQ and a dysfunctional diesel cook stove/oven. To get the diesel working presents a number of problems depending on what fuel I want to use. Getting ti to work as diesel is not the easiest or cheapest. Wood and coal are not viable options, which realistically leaves me with gettign diesel, pellet or propane conversion
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32   #65

I have always wondered. Do you smell ANY diesel fuel fumes when cooking of having a diesel stove in the salon galley???
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58   #66
Eternal Member

like living in an engine room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryF View Post
I have always wondered. Do you smell ANY diesel fuel fumes when cooking of having a diesel stove in the salon galley???
I don't want to invest alot of money and effort to find out, but from what I have heard it is probably like having your galley (and sleeping/living space) in the engine room of a big fishing boat. Which is why I am trying to figure out how to change over my diesel stove to something else. I had thought propane conversion might work, but the BTUs for a burner in that small a space are too low, which leaves pellet or wood....both of which require fairly major surgery. But I am too stubborn to just try and sell it and get another stove.
Old 10-11-2008, 14:43   #67

Wolfenzee,

Forget the BTUs! Don't worry! We have used a propane stove in several motorhomes for years. I can tell you that we have cooked while simultaneously using the oven and 3 burners for food preparation and there NEVER has been a problem like not enough gas pressure or low flame, or anything else.

Propane works great. The only thing I would say on a boat is for you to have TWO gas bottles so if one "poops out" you can switch propane bottles and then get the other one filled at you next stop.

I might guess that a propane stove is less costly too.
Old 10-11-2008, 15:24   #68
Eternal Member

I wasn't talking about using a propane stove, but rather converting a diesel stove to propane, or wood or pellet (aal of which are a considerable about of surgery and/or expense). Yes if I go out and buy a propane stove it will be less than going out and buying a diesel stove, mainly because diesel stove as a stove are much better. But I all ready have a diesel stove, which I'd rather not install as a diesel stove. I have a two burner propane cook top, which I plan to keep, so if I go with propane the boat is allready plumbed for it. My first choice would be wood, but unless I have top feed, it doesn't look possible and that woul dnot work in a smalll cabin. Pellet stove might be possible, if I can find the "guts" of a pellet stove, cheap.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: