Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2008, 13:38   #46

Yeah, if I were leaving the US, I'd hesitate to get CNG. Me, I plan to cruise locally, and just for weekends or short trips, so the issue for me is more the size of the CNG cannisters, their bulk etc. Propane does scare me, because I can be a bit of an idiot sometimes.

I guess Gideon already posted about FastCat's electrical system for a stove in this thread. I'm rather intrigued by that idea, but I have no idea whether it would be workable on most boats. I don't mind cooking with electric heat at all.

Old 17-07-2008, 13:46   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Kai Nui

We use a 2 burner gas stove in combination with a 2 burner induction electric stove on our Green Motion cat , fact are that although a cooker may be rated to consume 3 Kw per hour we never use both burners for a full hour let alone together.
An average meal sets us back 1 to 1.5 Kw and a cooked breakfast about 500 watt total.
We have placed the 2 burner gas stove on board but I doubt if she will be used often
we have in addition to a wind generator (air Breeze) 4 x 215 solar panles on board and a back up generator for our electric motors, it is offcourse a diffrent setup but works fine.
If on shore power we only cook electric and while sailing sometimes gas but normally electric.

I am sorry that My post on the FastCat bothers you , I am a commercial vendor and if there is a customer willing to share his experience with members of the forum that are interested I will offcourse link these up, How could I otherwise be a commercial vendor.

Greetings and happy sailing
Don't take this as knocking electric stoves. Your boat is designed around using lots of electric power. Just to do a comparison, I'm assuming that you mean you are consuming 1.5 KW-hrs to produce a meal (watt is a rate). That's 125 Amp-hrs at 12 volts. Looking only at your solar power generation of 4 215 watt panels, they will produce approximately 290 Amp-hrs per day. So one meal consumes just under half of the daily output of your solar panels. Also 1 KW-hr is 3414 BTU, so 1.5 KW-hr is about 5000 BTU, or 1 hour of running one burner wide open on a propane stove, or about 1/75th of a 20# propane cylinder.

If you have the electrical generating equipment onboard, using electricity is fine. If I ever have a generator, it will be portable that I have to set out to use, when I get solar panels I don't think that I will able to find enough room (that I'm willing to give up) to install 4 215 watt panels. So in my case I will be more stingy in using electricity.

John

Old 17-07-2008, 22:38   #48

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
My dad's a civilian engineer that the navy wanted for a nuclear engineer on a sub awhile back(go figure) anyhow he teaches me alot and I know about watts and stuff and found that unless you had 5 panels that put out over 3,000 watts a day it would be impossible to run an electric stove for more than an hour a day and still run all your other electronics so until they create panels that do that I will have to wait on the electric stove idea.
Old 17-07-2008, 23:14   #49

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Little Otter,

These are divert loads for wind generators. Is it not possible to create something similar to heat a basic small cooking element or a hot water jug (i.e. tea, coffee)?

Divert Loads

Name:   htr12_120.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  27.6 KB
Old 17-07-2008, 23:49   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfishnz View Post
Little Otter,

These are divert loads for wind generators. Is it not possible to create something similar to heat a basic small cooking element or a hot water jug (i.e. tea, coffee)?

Divert Loads

Attachment 4375
exfishnz,

I've run calculations through my computer and calculator and found that depending on how much heat it produces that if you were to put a spiral cover over it that it could be the cooking element itself if you were able to run the right wires to it.
Old 18-07-2008, 00:02   #51

Boat: Designing a global explorer (full keel & steel)
Little Otter,

OK, if I'm reading your post correctly (please tell me if I'm not), then its possible. Sorry I don't know how much heat it produces, but perhaps you're able to use your formulas (calc's) to work out how much excess energy comes from some of these wind generators & then put it to other uses?

Edit: let me try to clarify what I'm saying. That's a hot water cylinder element (but I don't know how efficient it is). I'm curious if the concept can also be applied to the other objects I mentioned before. It would be useful if on the anchor (or underway) during a blow to use the excess energy for other objects.
Old 18-07-2008, 03:24   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cooking with 12VDc isn't very practical.

A typical 6" (5 turn) electric stove-top element is 1250 Watts (5.2 A @ 240Volt).
A comparable 12V element would draw 100Amps of current.

Conversely, running a 1250W 240V element on 12.5V would only provide about 12.5 Watts of heat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 03:49   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It could be done, for sure. A 400 watt wind generator for 3 hours will produce 1200 watt hours, or enough to run a 1000 watt element for maybe an hour,taking into account some losses.

But would it be dependable? You'd need quite a bit of overcapacity in your generating system, for days with little wind or sun, and plenty of batteries.

Also, there are other demands on electricity, like refrigeration, lighting, autopilots, etc...
Old 18-07-2008, 09:29   #54

My dad is in baltimore at the moment so when he gets back I will run it by him and see what he thinks because he knows alot more about it than I do.
Old 19-07-2008, 00:14   #55

My dad says that it would be possible but highly inefficent so lets think of something else.
Old 19-07-2008, 01:01   #56

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Dickinson diesel stoves

Hi All,

Very interesting thread on cooking / heating power types.
Wonder if anyone can assist on a query.
I have just purchased a 44 ft Adams and inside was a brand new in the box Dickinson "Adriatic or Atlantic" model diesel stove.Fairly huge.It looks like it could even have take off points at the rear to provide heating.Not sure it will get cold enough down here in Aussie to warrant using it much but it looks like it could put out a lot of cooking power and or heat.
It has a big cast iron plate ( one section lifts up ) on top and a fair size oven below.
Unless I am going down to the South Pole maybe I will look at other methods eg LPG for heating.

Anyone have any knowledge on these particular cookers ?

Good or not ?

Regards
JC
Old 19-07-2008, 21:54   #57

I honetly have no idea about this type of stove, sounds impressive though.
Old 20-07-2008, 03:45   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Dickinson Marine makes several different Diesel stoves, including the Adriatic and the larger Atlantic:

Goto:

ADRIATIC
DickinsonMarine.com - Diesel Stoves - The Adriatic
Manual:
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/Manua...PACMAN2007.pdf

ATLANTIC:
DickinsonMarine.com - Diesel Stoves - The Atlantic
Manual:
http://www.dickinsonmarine.com/Manua...ATLMAN2007.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:41   #59
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
back in the days when I lived in a house with realatively unlimited power, electric was *not* my choice, I hate cooking on electric, I preferred propane when I could get it. When I did live in a house with an electric stove I cooked on the wood stove during the winter when possible. My boat has a two burner propane cook top, gas canister sea-swing and propane barbeque (in cockpit) in addition to that I am installing an old Dickinson Berring Sea diesel stove though am not quite sure whether I sould convert it to wood or install as diesel (I am leaning towards wood at the moment).
Old 07-11-2008, 14:52   #60

propane vs electric

I think the first post on this thread was why folks use propane and not electricity to cook with. I'm not trying to steer the discussion but, rather to see if MY reasoning is correct for not choosing electric. Here goes...

If there are 21,591 BTU per 1# of liquid propane
then
20# would equal 431,820 BTU
and if 1 BTU = 0.293 Watts
then
20# propane = 126,523 Watts = 10,543A @ 12v

That's a helluvalot of wind or solar charging.

So, if you don't allow for any losses, which certainly occur, then 20# of propane should last

61.68 Hours if used by 1 single properly regulated 7,000 BTU burner

I've not timed it myself. Am I anywhere close?

Diesel has more BTU but the stoves are too hot belowdecks IMO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: