Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Diesel Engine Repair

I'm posting this here because the engine forum doesn't seem to get much traffic. I know NOTHING about diesel engines, or for that manner, any mechanical systems. So, I want to learn. I think an emersion class would be best for me. I see that cruiser's university at the boat show">Annapolis boat show has a 2 day class. This sounds good... but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest other educational opportunities...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Diesel Engine Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I'm posting this here because the engine forum doesn't seem to get much traffic. I know NOTHING about diesel engines, or for that manner, any mechanical systems. So, I want to learn. I think an emersion class would be best for me. I see that cruiser's university at the Annapolis boat show has a 2 day class. This sounds good... but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest other educational opportunities...

Seems to me the CU offerings -- at least when here in the Annapolis area -- are presented by the guys from the Annapolis School of Seamanship... and they do their own diesel courses throughout the year, too.

I'd give the Annapolis School courses top marks for a good introduction to diesels, possibly especially relevant for you since their example engines in the classroom are typical of auxiliary propulsion engines used in sailboats. Imagine your final "exam:" your team is presented with a sabotaged engine, and your task is to make it run.

-Chris
Old 10-12-2017, 13:25   #3

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
I'm posting this here because the engine forum doesn't seem to get much traffic. I know NOTHING about diesel engines, or for that manner, any mechanical systems. So, I want to learn. I think an emersion class would be best for me. I see that cruiser's university at the Annapolis boat show has a 2 day class. This sounds good... but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest other educational opportunities...
Try searching out books by Nigel Calder - he has written several on system maintenance for boats. You can start by reading his "Marine Diesel Engines". He has also written one for electrical. Very comprehensive books, but they are dense in the sense of containing a lot of information.

The classes you mention are very good for introduction purposes. A lot of sailing clubs will have the local diesel engine shop have a service tech come down and give a free 1/2 day lecture for persons new to engines; may be a good place to try. That has been true for a few places in the Puget Sound - but I don't know about the east coast.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 14:03   #4

Hi,

If you want to go immersion route, I would recommend a local community college. Many offer truck diesel engine classes (much of the knowledge will transfer to marine engines). The east coast likely has many marine diesel classes but there will be few near St. Louis. I know of one two day class near Chicago, but I think it might have started. Caalder is great but may not be the best if you are a complete beginner.

If you want a more gradual approach, begin with car maintenance for dummies or something similar. Start working on basic maintenance on your own car. One advantage is you can work on your car very often. Gradually build your skill and comfort level. That will make reading Calder/working on a marine diesel much easier.
redbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 14:11   #5

Hi,

Class mentioned above has started. Here is link in case you want to contact them about other opportunities.

Diesel Engine Workshop | Chicago Sailing
Old 10-12-2017, 14:52   #6

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

You might try your local power squadron Engine Maintenance class. Not great, but it will give you the basics on both diesel, gas and outboard engines. index the local contact is terryelia@charter.net
Old 10-12-2017, 15:10   #7

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

I just did the CU diesel school in October and it was a great introduction. Being that you have no experience at all, this would be a very good first step. Do the other stuff if you find that you need and want it afterwards instead of getting in too deep and not getting any good out of it.

That said, did you hear about the gynecologist that went back to school to be a mechanic? The final exam was to take apart and reassemble an engine. He got 150% on it and asked his professor why. The professor said that he got 100% for doing it all correctly and another 50% for doing it all through the tailpipe!

(My wife is a gynecologist...)
Old 10-12-2017, 19:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard1 View Post
Hi,

Start working on basic maintenance on your own car. One advantage is you can work on your car very often. Gradually build your skill and comfort level. That will make reading Calder/working on a marine diesel much easier.
This is funny, but sad. I remember my first car.. a 1976 Pontiac Sunbird. I knew where the air filter was.. oil filter, gas filter, battery, oil dipstick.. where all the fluids go... Everything that could go wrong with a car, went wrong, so I learned a lot about cars from this heap of junk (that i loved!!)

My current car (a 2011 Camero).. I don't even know where the battery is. Everything is covered, and there is nothing accessible without taking out the engine. it's insane! My husband's battery in his car died, and I was going to jump his car with mine... And we couldn't find the battery.. or the terminal. We eventually had to hook his battery up to a battery charger. Cars are not what they used to be anymore...
Old 10-12-2017, 19:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawbonz View Post
I just did the CU diesel school in October and it was a great introduction. Being that you have no experience at all, this would be a very good first step. Do the other stuff if you find that you need and want it afterwards instead of getting in too deep and not getting any good out of it.

That said, did you hear about the gynecologist that went back to school to be a mechanic? The final exam was to take apart and reassemble an engine. He got 150% on it and asked his professor why. The professor said that he got 100% for doing it all correctly and another 50% for doing it all through the tailpipe!

(My wife is a gynecologist...)
very funny!!!!

Did you do the 2 day master class?
Old 10-12-2017, 19:52   #10

Boat: 2019 Leopard 45

Quote:
very funny!!!!

Did you do the 2 day master class?

I did. I’m no master though, even after!
Old 10-12-2017, 23:36   #11

Quote:
This is funny, but sad. I remember my first car.. a 1976 Pontiac Sunbird. I knew where the air filter was.. oil filter, gas filter, battery, oil dipstick.. where all the fluids go... Everything that could go wrong with a car, went wrong, so I learned a lot about cars from this heap of junk (that i loved!!)
I assumed you were a complete beginner. It sounds like you know enough to get a lot from Calder. If you are not sure if you will like working on engines, an older edition of his books can be purchased pretty cheap from Amazon. He walks the reader through most basic and lots of medium skill jobs. We have a copy of marine diesel on our boat and I got his more comprehensive boat-owner's mechanical and electrical guide on the kindle as that book is about 1000 pages.

Regarding your Camaro, our cars are older, so I can still recognize everything. We are getting a new one this month to replace an old Subaru. I hope they haven't stuck the battery in the spare tire wheel well. LOL.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:32   #12

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

If I read the site correctly, the diesel class is FULL! Every time I've looked at that class during the Annapolis shows, it's full. It must be one of the most popular classes they offer!

As we get nearer our cat purchase I think I'll take a class at one of the nearby colleges.

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
If I read the site correctly, the diesel class is FULL! Every time I've looked at that class during the Annapolis shows, it's full. It must be one of the most popular classes they offer!

As we get nearer our cat purchase I think I'll take a class at one of the nearby colleges.

Regards,
ALREADY?!?!??!?!?! They told me it wouldn't open up until January... I've been waiting to sign up until I get my notice, but they must have opened it up early... crap!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33   #14

Boat: islandpacket

Check out The wooden boat school in Maine. Sign up on January 2nd as they fill fast. I've been for several classes and learned alot.
I liked the Annapolis sailing school very much but the added cost for a hotel and daily travel was a pain.
The wooden boat school you just stay there for the week. Great people,great food and a fantastic course. I can't wait to go back. It's not just about wooden boats. My next will be be the cannon making class and the sail loft class. I found it a great resource. Check it out. It does fill fast.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:46   #15

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
ALREADY?!?!??!?!?! They told me it wouldn't open up until January... I've been waiting to sign up until I get my notice, but they must have opened it up early... crap!
This is from the program for the spring show: Cruiser’s Univ. I think (!) the dates are Apr 27-30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6BF6671E-A8AB-473B-A9F0-37F8C25D37E0.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	160371  
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine