Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-09-2008, 15:36   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelie View Post
Curious news - according to the chap (ex-Manta) doing some work on our boat, they sadly closed their doors a month ago.
So whats the real story here...... I emailed them weeks ago and never got a reply. You would think someone from the company would step up and inform us. It's only to their benefit that we know.

Old 24-09-2008, 19:40   #17

After posting my previous entry I decided to call Manta to find out for myself what was going on. Keith, the owner answered the phone long after closing time (working late I'm sure). After a 30 minute conversation I was more than pleased knowing that Manta is alive and well. The economic downturn has effected them as well as the rest of us but I am confident they will weather the storm and continue to make the one of best Catamarans in the industry......IMO :cubalibre

Old 25-10-2008, 08:38   #18
fvn

Boat: Manta 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rougewave View Post
After posting my previous entry I decided to call Manta to find out for myself what was going on. Keith, the owner answered the phone long after closing time (working late I'm sure). After a 30 minute conversation I was more than pleased knowing that Manta is alive and well. The economic downturn has effected them as well as the rest of us but I am confident they will weather the storm and continue to make the one of best Catamarans in the industry......IMO :cubalibre
Certainly used to but forget it now.
A recent visit at the factory made me to decide for other option. Factory is going to relocate (reed throw out from original location for unpaid bills). Owner tried to trick me with false information.
Still a good boat if you can find a pre owned one.
Old 14-11-2008, 13:14   #19

Boat: Mainship 400T
Unhappy Annapolis Boat Show

The word at the Annapolis Boat Show, in October, was that Manta had gone belly up?
Old 14-11-2008, 13:34   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
If this is correct it is truly sad news - it seems now that the last two North American manufacturers of production 40 plus foot cruising catamarans (PDQ and Manta) have succumbed to the current economic climate. Both had deservedly good reputations and unfortunately, although their demises were seemingly not caused by greed or short-sightedness, they will not be eligible for the sort of bail-outs that are being granted the banks/investment firms, or are now being proposed for the domestic automobile manufacturers.

Brad
Old 14-11-2008, 18:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap892 View Post
The word at the Annapolis Boat Show, in October, was that Manta had gone belly up?

I talked with the owner and they are still making cats... they have slowed production and are about to come out with a redesign. He told me the first one would be done in dec.

Now are they hurting.... probably. But they are still around.
Old 14-11-2008, 20:12   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad30 View Post
I talked with the owner and they are still making cats... they have slowed production and are about to come out with a redesign. He told me the first one would be done in dec.

Now are they hurting.... probably. But they are still around.
Can we see that on the website?
Old 15-11-2008, 11:30   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Three reasons there isn't a high volume catamaran builder in the U.S.
1. No high volume buyers.
2. Skilled marine craftsmen earn the highest wages working in the U.S.
3. Liability Insurance can exceed the cost of production for a U.S. Builder. Just Try sueing someone in the Cayman Islands!
Old 18-11-2008, 06:35   #24

What Happened at Manta

Wish I would have found this forum earlier, Manta is out-of-business, regardless of what Keith may have told some of you. Keith has been dishonest with many of you, including his own employees. I am currently be SUB-CONTRACTED out ( NOT by Keith) as someone else has taken over the LAST Manta. This LAST Manta was left half constructed when Keith closed the doors. If it was not for us (still dedicated employees) this Manta purchaser would have paid for a boat that would have never been completed. I am saddened that Keith is continuing to string Manta owners along.
As far as the previous owners go, Dan & Sarah, they loved this company and took much pride in these Mantas, unfortunately Dan
came down with a terminal illness. They thought that they were putting the business in good hands with Keith, but unfortunately that was not the case.

As, for what Keith told one of the posters. Yes, we were in the process of re-designing the interior. But his ambitions were not backed with the money, nor did he have the knowledge to run this company. For those of you that might still be in contact with Keith, I would be very weary of what promises he may be making.

I am the Ex-Carpentry, Mechanical & Plumbing Manager of Manta. For those of you that are owners of either the power cats or sail cats. Myself & other highly skilled ex-manta employees are available to help you with your Mantas. After Keith closed the doors with no notice to his employees, I decided to start my own company. Custer Yacht Restoration Co. is based out of Sarasota Fl. and is licensed & insured. I know these Mantas inside & out, and I would like to tailor my new company to the unfortunate Manta owners; who now have no one to uphold their warranties.
For those, that are interested in updated their interiors, I am currently available for meeting with you & discussing your needs. I know many of the Mantas need storage solutions & I have come up with many new solutions.

My contact Info
Graham Custer
(941) 302-3085
YachtRestore@Yahoo.com
Old 19-11-2008, 06:31   #25
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Graham, thanks for the imput and for giving this debate some closure - and good luck in your new venture.

Brad
Old 19-11-2008, 07:20   #26

Glad to be of service

Thank you, and Your welcome Brad. I'm sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news, but I am glad to be able to shed some light on this subject. Some say I'm crazy to be starting this right now with the economy the way it is, but so far I have been keeping busy. I need some help contacting manta owners though. If you could pass my name around, or If anyone has any suggestions on where i may be able to get in touch with some please fill me in. I'd like to let them know that I am still here to help with anything they need. For all of the rest of you keep in mind that my services are not limited to mantas and their owners. If there is anything I can ever do for any of you, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any helpful info.
Sincerely,
Graham Custer
Custer Yacht Restoration Co.
Sarasota FL
(941) 302-3085
yachtrestore@yahoo.com
Old 19-11-2008, 08:12   #27
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Graham, I suspect that this will bring you to the attention of the Manta owners on this site (and in the future, prospective purchasers to the entent that they use the search engine).

Brad
Old 19-11-2008, 08:31   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Don't forget the Manta owner's group:

mantatech : Technical information on Manta catamaran

You will need to ask the moderator for access since it is a registered user group.
Old 20-11-2008, 18:13   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Graham.

Good for you and good luck.

I am only one who has wished I could have a Manta for years and years. Just not in that sort of income bracket though.

I met Dan in Feb. and he seemed like a "real" person. I am sorry to hear of his illness and wish all the best in his dealing with it.
Old 28-11-2008, 02:43   #30

so much for my info Thanks for the heads up Graham and the best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rougewave View Post

Tags
manta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: