Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 05:41   #16

Boat: 40' Leopard
Re: destroyed cat

I did have insurance and I will let everyone know the status as soon as I know what the company lets me know
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:06   #17

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'm thinking along the lines of SMJ.

You said you'd not be made whole by your insurance. If you can collect on your insurance, then repair the boat, you'll be ahead, or at least not so far behind. If you sell the boat, and add the proceeds to whatever the insurance company pays you, you'll also be "less behind".

This is all assuming that the boat's structure is in repairable shape.

I'm hoping you can make lemonade out of these lemons you've been dealt.

For the record, I'm not looking for another project. I have plenty on my plate, at the moment.

I only suggested I'd take a look to see if I could help make you whole in some way, assuming you were unable to sell it otherwise. Unless the hulls are total scrap, I'm convinced you could sell it to someone looking for a boat to put some sweat equity into. Catamarans are somewhat of a hot commodity these days.

Cheers, and good luck.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 07:05   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A slightly different view.
Old 14-10-2018, 07:21   #19

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

As the storm subsides...
Old 14-10-2018, 07:59   #20

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Horrible loss!

What's the depth there? I hate to be pessimistic compared to the other posters here, but based on the photos showing low tide and high, it looks like the boat is sitting hard on the bottom. I'm guessing the cabin top and sterns are crushed if there was any swell along with those high winds.

Don't let these guys get your hope too high. I went through something kind of like this before, and my positivity before the facts made the reality harder once all was revealed.

Matt
Old 14-10-2018, 10:32   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
destroyed cat

That was my home Marina for a few years as we prepped to depart.
Almost no one did much of anything to prepare boats there, I think since no real storm had ever really hit there, they had become sort of non believers.
That and most boats were people out of town, add in Michael sort of came from out of no where, then blew up fast, they just couldn’t get down to do anything.
PC city marina used to require you to remove your boat in a named Storm , they knew and due to fetch, it’s just not a storm safe Marina.
If you look at the Satellite pictures, you’ll see way less damage to the boats in Massilina Bayou, which is maybe 200 yards away, but much, much better protected, wasn’t nearly as nice a Marina though.
PC City Marina is deep, I think maybe 15’ or so, maybe a little less, but it’s a deep marina.
In those photos you should see four wood non floating docks, and I think a lot of covered slips for the powerboats, everything is gone, I don’t even see one piling remaining from four docks that were each about 100 yds long.
Whatever happened there, it was bad, real bad to completely erase all of the docks.

I think there has been a deal working for quite some time to sell the marina and the adjacent land to developers to build Condo’s. I’d bet that will happen now, the Marina is an old marina, been there for a long time.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 10:55   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

A64Pilot, that's exactly what happened to me. I was across the country when the hurricane changed path and all of a sudden it was an emergency. There were no flights as the airport were all closing down. I literally drive cross country non stop but could not physically make it in time. The hurricane trashed my boat and now I'm rebuilding her.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 10:59   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

destroyed cat

Sorry, there were two actual docks, the other two I was thinking were the walls.
Here is a Sat picture of before the storm
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0476.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	178937

and after

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	178938
Old 14-10-2018, 12:43   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for posting the before and after pics, A64. It's a sad sight, for sure, but a deep water marina would perhaps be worth re-building. Rates likely to go up for improved facilities, of course.

Ann
Old 14-10-2018, 13:49   #25

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Damn, rancher. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck in the salvage and dealing with the insurance company. Let us know what happens.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 13:51   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

destroyed cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Thanks for posting the before and after pics, A64. It's a sad sight, for sure, but a deep water marina would perhaps be worth re-building. Rates likely to go up for improved facilities, of course.

Ann

I hope so, just politics are, well politics.
The city owns, or owned two Marinas, City Marina and St Andrew’s Marina.
The land beside of St Andrews was sold by the city to build a large Condo complex, apparently there was a meeting before they went for sale to the general public where some city officials were allowed to buy at rock bottom prices, the Mayor ended up with the Penthouse of course.

There is a large vacant lot immediately adjacent to the City Marina, a LARGE lot. The City always though it was owned by the State and a few years ago there was a Plan on turning it into a very nice park.

Well the city found out it owned the land, not the State, and suddenly the park idea was shelved, and quite a few of us thought there would be a repeat of what happened before, I figured it was a matter of time before we all lost our slips.

Now that there has been tremendous damage, who knows?
http://www.newsherald.com/news/20180...-deal-collapse
Old 16-10-2018, 03:28   #27

Boat: 2012 310 Chaparral Signature

We have a power boat and this has been our home marina for the past 12 years. We also kept a slip at the other Marina - St. Andrews - so we moved our boat there because the docks and marina in general was in better condition. We prepared as best as we could but honestly I don’t think any marina in PC survived without damage, even the dry storage marinas. Also IMO I don’t think the city will rebuild the City Marina as they finally got their wish - it’s gone. We were told this past Sunday, by a marina employee that their handing over the cleaning and salvaging to the Coast Guard. The City Marina was not structurally sound in so many areas, that I’m not surprised to see it shredded like toothpicks I’m just sad, very very sad.
Old 16-10-2018, 06:49   #28

Boat: 40' Leopard

The boat has been totaled . they can not get it out of the water for another week
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 07:03   #29

Boat: 2012 310 Chaparral Signature
Unhappy Re: destroyed cat

So sorry to hear that. Looked to me like most of the boats at City Marina were a loss.
Old 16-10-2018, 07:36   #30

Looking at the forecast, I figured both Panama City marinas were going to be boat deathtraps. Sorry about your cat, but not the least bit surprised. Pretty much nothing in a marina survived Katrina in Mississippi. Live and learn.